Alzheimers "Type-3 diabetes"? Statins and cholesterol

Cowboyjim

http://www.naturalnews.com/036708_Alzheimers_type-3_diabetes_brain_disease.html
Maybe not the cheeriest of news to start the week but it is serious stuff worthy of debate.
"It turns out that Alzheimer's progresses as a result of the brain developing resistance to insulin, which in turn prevents proper lipid (fat) metabolism. Over time, these lipids build up in the brain rather than properly absorb, which results in increased stress and inflammation, as well as the symptoms commonly associated with dementia."

The next bit is also highly interesting tho even more of a concern when trying to choose what our options are for taking associated meds such as statins.

"Since many elderly individuals that have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's take statin drugs to lower their cholesterol levels, the first logical step would be to stop taking these drugs. Not only have statins been shown to cause and exacerbate Alzheimer's, they have also been shown to cause diabetes. So taking them, as many elderly dementia patients do, runs contrary to common sense, and will only make the problem worse."

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I wonder if Metformin reduces brain insulin resistance?

Viv 8)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
OMG :eek: I already have the memory of a goldfish :(

I think we have enough on our plates :wink: I know I do at the moment !!!!!!!! RRB

Unbeliever

Robinredbreast said:
OMG :eek: I already have the memory of a goldfish :(

I think we have enough on our plates :wink: I know I do at the moment !!!!!!!! RRB

If only suffering from some side effects could exempt us from others RRB.

My father suffered from dementia - minly short trerm memory loss - after a stroke . Both caused by his diabees remaining untreated although it was known. In the circumstances when all this occcurered he never had a brain scan and we were told
his problem was trans-ischaemic attacks.
It was necesssary to treat him wih insulin after his stroke and although he lived for about 15 years afterwards his mental condition never deeriorated urher.
I was never really convinced abou the diagnosis but there was no point in subjecting him to invasive tests.
I have been very nterested in previous reports about the brain producing its own insulin etc.
So onvce again , thanks Jim. There is obviously a long way to go and much more to discover but ts interesting.
As I obviously inherited my defective gene from my father I may have inherited a tendency to this paricular complication too.
Having said that , in his case it was probably a blessing as I don't think he could have accepted the limitatiomns of his physical condition had ghe been aware of it for more than a very shor ime at a stretch.
As it was , his resoning power and wit stayed intact until the end.

Dazzyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not the first time I have heard that diabetes has an effect on memory and brain function.
Having reached the dizzying age of 49 and diagnosed T2 for last 7 years, I have noticed that my cognitive function is rapidly diminishing.
I always used to be able to think several steps ahead in any discussion or "argument" but I just can't compete any more - I often find myself having to say "I just don't know" because my brain just seems to shut down and won't process:(

When I have mentioned it to my doctor and diabetic nurses they seem to dismiss it as not-related to my T2.