Tired, Painful Joints, Lethargic, Weak, Memory Going

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you can stick the first 3 or 4 days of the Newcastle Diet the hunger pangs vanish.

I did it for 6 weeks and it was great.I'd recommend it

fats1964

2christine said:
you sound just like my brother ,he died last march,i don't want to go down that road and I don't want you to, if I can help and support you in any way I will, so come on all lifes a journey don't give up, lets travel together. :wave:

Im sorry about your brother, travel together how?

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fats1964 said:
I am so ravenously hungry I would pass out trying that diet, I am at 22.5 stone roughly, and even slight exercise makes me very hungry.
Probably comfort eating for years too, due to some abuse as a child and other bullying problems, but if I can get out of this nightmare, I also used to be pleased with my S** life, but now single partly due to my problems, ive lost interest in almost everything.
I packed in work, hoping to sort myself out, but cant see it working after these first few days.
The amount of help I need seems so big no one could ever help enough to fix me,

Don't give up thinking you still might be able to do quite a bit to help yourself and it may be a lot easier if you try coming at it from a few different angles. The way I see it, this needn't be done all at once. Anything you can do to drop some weight has to be good, hasn't it?

If it helps, for many years I was the archetypal 'good eater' (as my mum would have put it); in reality I was a pig. I'd be thinking about the next meal before I'd finished the current one, was constantly hungry, couldn't pass up any opportunity to eat, wouldn't 'waste' food by ever discarding it (a trait my mother had drummed into us all in the 50s when we were young) and had a sugar craving about 30 mins after I'd finished every meal. Although I was never a 'snacker' (small comfort, that!), my weight had inexorably risen over the years to just over 18st 6 weeks ago, which is the heaviest I'd ever been.

As I'd done for years, I avoided facing it every which way I could, my latest cop-out being that the current weight gain (about 8lbs) was as a result of giving up smoking in early May this year and the weight was the lesser of the 2 evils. Even though the craving had gone, by July I was seriously thinking of going back on the cigarettes, as a way of shedding a few pounds, :crazy: when the diabetes diagnosis intervened.

My first thought was to cut out sugar (e.g. 3 spoonsful in my coffees, a tablespoon of it on my breakfast cereal and half a milk chocolate bar [or a full one if my other three-quarters wasn't looking] for my postprandial sweet 'fix'. That went OK. Then I decided to miss out some of my regular visits to the pub, substituting a single dry red wine for pints of bitter (up to 5/6 per session if I was being driven home), when I did go. Then I worked on upping the vegetables in my diet. Finally, I decided I'd have a go at dropping the carbs. That seems to be working out OK as well. Although I started out doing so, I've slipped on upping my exercise levels over the past week or two so I've still got that good intention up my sleeve.

I'm not carb-counting (yet) and I've not gone really low but I have lost over a stone since November 1st and that weight loss appears to be continuing. I am on Metformin which I understand is probably helping but the interesting thing is I've stopped feeling hungry, my appetite has reduced and I've discovered I don't actually want large meals at the moment or find myself thinking particularly about food. Although I hadn't noticed it happening, I've also found that the sugar craving I used to get after a meal has totally disappeared.

Offered FWIW,

Regards,

Tom

viktoria

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Richard,
can i just say your story sounds just like mine, joined this forum few weeks ago and there are some fantastic people out there with a wealth of support. Although i am nowhere near getting controlled i would like to think that any support i can return to the forum has some use! If you want to" buddy up" maybe we could help each other get control, loose weight and get lives back on track. That goes for anyone else out there. I really need the help. Big hugs. X

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
its a new day, how about to start right with a good breky eggs and bacon plus some tomatoes nothing else but loads of black coffee and tea to drink.
you make your bed then lay in it, mum used to say, start there get some clean sheets and pillow cases and make your bed, steady that's enough exercise for the day.( its all in the mind a clean sheet)

fats1964

2christine said:
its a new day, how about to start right with a good breky eggs and bacon plus some tomatoes nothing else but loads of black coffee and tea to drink.
you make your bed then lay in it, mum used to say, start there get some clean sheets and pillow cases and make your bed, steady that's enough exercise for the day.( its all in the mind a clean sheet)

Having a lazy week, as I hurt my feet having to wear steel toe cap boots Tuesday last week, I an still feel the cramp squuezing throbbing bruiseed like pain. I may try and start one of these diets in the morning, like the 5/2 diet.

When looking at what i need to do, i thought dont want to go hungry so maybe one of these stop start diets to try and kick in my body to react, or am i talking ****?, maybe if its on and off, i wont mind the hunger, and as i go on could adjust.
I love eggs and tomatoes, and bacon, bread and toast i would miss, I even looked at making coconut bread, etc.
But time and money etc, ive been wandering about teh last few days in slippers, and although much comfier, I still have the pain and numbness, as for making the bed, I was made to fit a radiator last night, as my son apparently tricked me, saying he would do it, then said he couldnt manage blah blah, cos he knows i wouldnt see someone struggle, or that with me being big headed, wouldnt let someone carry on without offering help (or do it right) LOL
My normal job involves quite a bit of walking and carrying a couple of things, and i think that thing in my head about going to work, no matter what has worked against me,cos I feel like ive had a burnout and lost interest in everything and I mean everything.
I just feel like sitting back, and doing nothing, but even though I would be less stressed, I need to be improving my fitness to cope with what lies ahead...no pressure then LOL

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are poorly and need some TLC, be kind to your self, caraway is right try the Newcastle diet, if you can afford the Cambridge shakes, if not try and look up vlc diets on the eBay for example sometimes you can pick up some at a fraction of the normal price, they may be past the use by date but they get you started, this is what I did.
also I found ibrufen gel is a god send to my feet, it really stops the pain hope this is a help to you.

fats1964

2christine said:
I think you are poorly and need some TLC, be kind to your self, caraway is right try the Newcastle diet, if you can afford the Cambridge shakes, if not try and look up vlc diets on the eBay for example sometimes you can pick up some at a fraction of the normal price, they may be past the use by date but they get you started, this is what I did.
also I found ibrufen gel is a god send to my feet, it really stops the pain hope this is a help to you.

Any appetite suppressants needed?, when I think of 600 calories i think gulp, gone in a small meal. and a day at 600 calories, I woudl be thinking time stood still LOL, I dont think I would mind if I wasnt hungry or feeling weak through hunger,
But I remember years ago I tried diets with no background to the foods like we know now, Before I was diabetic, i would go on a crash diet and strangely felt more alert and more awake, and more energy, I used to think I may be pre-disposed to some sort of illness or the foods I ate caused me to be ill (before I was diabetic) my doctors told me it was rubbish, having arthritis since 19, but before then, struggling with school fitness, has it been wrong foods all my life?
I can remember the summer of 1979 i had a really bad bout of gastroeneritis, never went to docs, 12 weeks this lasted, as im big and tough (14 at the time) played rugby, cross country, athletics etc etc, after that illness my appetite changed, I was more hungry and ate more, where I could, though being at school and with mates, stayed slim with exercise. Though being a kid with no money ate what i was given.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you are tempted by a low cal diet then look at this

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... versal.htm

This is the link to the reasearch

Slim and Save is lower carb and cheaper than CAmbridge, They have a website but they are also on Ebay more cheaply.

But if you are not in the right state of mind to do it I think you will find it hard. I wanted to lose weight and feel better and I cannot state enough what a great improvemnt this made to me

I'm hoping the improvement I feel will continue as I lose more weight

Cara

fats1964

carraway said:
If you are tempted by a low cal diet then look at this

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... versal.htm

This is the link to the reasearch

Slim and Save is lower carb and cheaper than CAmbridge, They have a website but they are also on Ebay more cheaply.

But if you are not in the right state of mind to do it I think you will find it hard. I wanted to lose weight and feel better and I cannot state enough what a great improvemnt this made to me

I'm hoping the improvement I feel will continue as I lose more weight

Cara
I will look later, what I used to try and do was take away all bad foods from the house, but when you share with someone its a bit awkward, when i was last living alone, I just surrounded myself with things to snack on such as tomatoes, beetroot, some nuts, boiled eggs, so they were right next to me if i got peckish, then after a few weeks, habits were starting to change, then I went to stay at the ex girlfriends, or she wanted taking out for meals, etc etc, i suggested my eating problems were similay to an alcoholic but she laughed it off, so I havent got the will power to ignore these things, and now sharing my house with my son and his girlfriend, anyway off to visit my parents who will no doubt try and feed me, and my dad will say you are what you are and no changing it !

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Well I've been through a recent stage of feeling sorry for myself, till I read your post. Strangers we may well be, but I think you are far a better person than I with what you have and still are facing. Your mood seems worryingly low (who feels it knows), I agree with all the other posts in that this is a good place be (on this forum) with what you are facing. But it's not the same as talking to someone face to face is it. Why can't you go to your GP and tell him what you've shared here? In years gone by I lost faith in the GP approach for the reasons many people here state, you'd don't get too far. In the last year, I've started to write to him (or her just pick someone you know best), I make an appointment with him\ her then I fax the letter over and I just bullet-point my health concerns, I take the letter with me and it has worked for me. Whether primary or secondary care, health professionals get law suits against them and I personally think that putting my points in writing before the appointment makes them more attentive. How 'bout you try this?

I wish you well indeed, I'd be happy to talk it out and listen if you wanted to PM me, but I feel strongly about you sitting face to face with someone, especially as your self esteem and self worth are so very low. Give it a try, write your health concerns out point by point, make an appointment then fax over your letter just before you go in (few days).

Take care then,

Q..

fats1964

Q007 said:
I wish you well indeed, I'd be happy to talk it out and listen if you wanted to PM me, but I feel strongly about you sitting face to face with someone, especially as your self esteem and self worth are so very low. Give it a try, write your health concerns out point by point, make an appointment then fax over your letter just before you go in (few days).

Take care then,

Q..
I will do a list, which is what I used to do,then told to lose weight and get fitter, but I will do again, I tend to not emphasise enough the severity of my problems as if i am not supposed to ask for help etc.

I am going to try one of the diets till after Christmas, like the 5/2 diet for now, or one of the fast 1 day eat normal 1 day etc, then maybe extend the fasting or low calorie days.
Will see how I go, but sat here looking at this screen, and really no energy I really think ive had enough of work, and just want to shut off

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
fats1964 said:
Q007 said:

Take care then,

Q..
I will do a list, which is what I used to do,then told to lose weight and get fitter, but I will do again, I tend to not emphasise enough the severity of my problems as if i am not supposed to ask for help etc.

I am going to try one of the diets till after Christmas, like the 5/2 diet for now, or one of the fast 1 day eat normal 1 day etc, then maybe extend the fasting or low calorie days.
Will see how I go, but sat here looking at this screen, and really no energy I really think ive had enough of work, and just want to shut off

Hiya, it's your mood I'm worried about, more than your weight. It's like being an alcoholic, the first thing you should do is admit to where you're at. You seem to have no self-worth which is a cold and lonely place to be. Promise, you'll make an appointment then write a letter and fax it to the GP take the letter with you. You mention you're working, so that means you're paying taxes and national insurance which means you are ENTITLED to all the help you need. I do know how it feels to have periods of low self- worth and one thing I've found to be true, whenever my moods drops my weight goes up, I then comfort eat and punish myself with guilt for putting on weight. I think, and it's just my view, that if you could improve your mood then the weight issue would improve too.

Why can't you write the letter on your PC tonight? Why can't you leave a 'to do note' for yourself for tomorrow to phone the doctors tomorrow? Hmm? I really think this might work for you. If you lived near me I'd come with you, I love a good tear- up with doctors who don't listen.

You took the courage to post your view here, so you can do this.

In my thoughts, kind wishes to you, Q..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

fats1964

I will be going to the doctors, and am still making notes for a letter, suppose one thing new is that being single now, means its me to soret stuff, I was working till last weekend, pains in feet, and exhaustion, couldnt think, had enough, so Im off hoping I can buld up a bit, but so tired etc, I have to try and sort some junk and belongings tomorrow, hopefully go out saturday to do a few bits,
im trying to be tight with money while off work, so the next shopping trip will have to be carefully chosen etc
if I get chance will look at other softer shoes, so tired, been sat here all day,
I wont be doing anything stupid, got to sort grandkids presents etc
Dont anyone go feeling sorry for me, Im thinking, slowly, about whats to be done, or even half way, to get things moving

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
fats1964 said:
I will be going to the doctors, and am still making notes for a letter, suppose one thing new is that being single now, means its me to soret stuff, I was working till last weekend, pains in feet, and exhaustion, couldnt think, had enough, so Im off hoping I can buld up a bit, but so tired etc, I have to try and sort some junk and belongings tomorrow, hopefully go out saturday to do a few bits,
im trying to be tight with money while off work, so the next shopping trip will have to be carefully chosen etc
if I get chance will look at other softer shoes, so tired, been sat here all day,
I wont be doing anything stupid, got to sort grandkids presents etc
Dont anyone go feeling sorry for me, Im thinking, slowly, about whats to be done, or even half way, to get things moving

Good day to you,

Well, have you made an appointment? have you started writing a letter? - I was thinking of you this morning, I was at my GP and had all my points on my phone so that nothing fell through the cracks, so that some of the questions other members have been kind enough to give me on here could be raised, it was a good meeting.

On your point " Don't go feeling sorry for me" - I'm not, I'm really worried as your mood is very low, maybe you haven't realised that yet. Feeling sorry for someone is a wasted emotion I think, it's much better that we encourage, support and care, don't you agree?

You also say that " you won't be doing anything stupid because you have grand kids to sort " - that just tells me that you have though of doing something stupid such as self-harm. Which is why I'd be pleased if you could take a firm grip, see a doctor, put it all in writing and more than this; expect nothing less than the best treatment and I really think for you it has to start with how you feel about yourself. Hope you had a good day today, please phone the doctors.

PM any time, I don't have anywhere near the skills on Diabetes that other members have here, but I can listen, and hear.

Kind regards & wishes, Q..

fats1964

Yes appointment made, next Tuesday, letter and list started, yes ive thought of not being here any more, I also hope its just a period of rest im having, while thinking, i know what to do, but dont feel like it, big tough man eh LOL mental exhaustion ive had enough, so im just pottering, this weekend and Monday will start doing a little more, but im trying not to pressure myself, and realised i dont liek asking for help, and struggle to show thanks for help, while seeing myself as not far from useless.
Been on cross trainer, even 1 minute i had enough, just enough to start feeling muscles in thighs pulling, then some work with dumb bells, even compared to a year ago I am much weaker, is this really all diabetes related? I wonder.
Docs say usual stuff lose weight get fitter, been saying saying for the last 30 years...30 years ago I weighed 19 stone at 19 years old, even then stamina was low, but i could work most people into the ground, just because I wouldnt give in or stop for a break, never a muscly person but strong. I am now about a quarter the strength of 4 years ago.
I also strongly beleive that I am one f those blokes who cant function, without a partner, girlfriend etc to rely on, is that bad, or not out of the ordinary? Maybe from childhood trauma.
Silly thing too, when I was at work recently, i could find more will power to do the work and whenever a weekend or day off came up I was exhausted, my last partner didnt understand, possibly even thought I was cheating for being so tired, sme ways I wish I had the energy.
Anyway things are starting to happen over the next few days, plus any money I have will be dwindling away, the longer it is.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Hiya, The more you write and the more I read the more I'm positive weight is not your key issue it's you, your mood. Your low self-worth and how you see yourself. I really think you'll beat yourself to the ground with attempts to exercise and lose weight until you get professional help with dealing with everything and how you deal with yourself. As for a partner, if you don't love yourself then no one will love you, d'you think? It all points to getting 'the man in the mirror' fixed first.

Have you heard of or tried EFT - emotional freedom therapy? Have a look on youtube would be a good start as a taster. I knew a life-coach for a while and she practised and offered lots of different 'you' treatments. I learned and practised EFT (tapping) and still use it at what she called 'high events' that could cause you stress or an emotional fall (for me, sometimes, is speaking at very large conferences). You don't fix yourself \ someone fix you in 10 minutes you have to deal with issue by issue. In the same period of time I knew a clinical psychologist (Doctor) very well (both these girls have long since moved on and I don't have regular contact now). She supported EFT and 'Mindfulness' - and you're right about childhood trauma. With trauma in childhood we develop coping skills with the 'events' that happen. It's astounding how much of this we drag up and into our adult life, ever wondered why the same kind of bosses follow you around whatever job you do? ever wondered why you date or marry the same kind of people (even if the relationships go bad, we go back out and find another partner with the same traits). It's you \ us \ me! that's the common denominator and EFT can help with these traumas that just follow us around through life like a bad smell. For years I did really well in my career but for the same period I felt I had to constantly tread broken glass to get on and there was always someone who got the same results as me but always seemed to land on their feet \ do things a lot easier than me. What she taught me was that no matter the 'How to' skills I had, if the person himself wasn't emotionally right then I was always going to have this struggle where I always felt worn out and exhausted for just trying to stay on top of my gain. Soon as I started feeling I was parking up all my emotional hang-ups life got easier, work got easier, relationships got better. I must stress though, I still fall over from time to time, funnily enough just recently, the blues! - No one would ever know unless I told them (coping skills), I go back to my EFT training and things start to ease up.

I get the impression you have some time on your hands, have a look at EFT, please give it more than a window shop. If you live in the South West I could give you the name of the contact I had, she's all over the web, I won't post her name here by could pass it over in a PM.

I could talk for days on these subjects, it hasn't stopped me from getting into 'dark periods' I'm a human so I accept that I break myself now and again, but these techniques have stopped me from crashing and burning totally.

I apologise for rambling, but as the Rasta man saying goes " Who feels it knows" - Keep talking. When is your Doctors appointment? remember the letter bit and don't leave it till the day before to fax it, don't give them a 'haven't had time to read it yet' excuse. Take care you. Kind wishes & regards, Q..

fats1964

Well lots to take in, (still thinking)

I was told today by someone who works as nurse etc, that it sounded like peripheral artery / vascular disease PAD/PVD

The weakness and pain in feet hands legs arms etc, oops, I have been telling docs for ages about this, I only stopped smoking 8 weeks ago, it appears i may be worse than thought, and more work and being needed.

The EFT thing I have looked at, which is interesting, no energy or compulsion to go through it yet.

The main reason I stopped smoking was I felt it was or i was getting worse week by week, regards strength etc, This may mean I am off work longer.
Could do with some sort of chart to measure various things like pain, ability to exercise, and all sorts of other things, to track how I go.
The stroke and heart attack risk, jumps up significantly, Im thinking............Cant do all this stuff with my normal job.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Not sure if this is totally applicable but . . . . . . .
Small steps are each in themselves an achievement. Even an elephant can only be eaten one mouthful at a time - keep heading towards that goal.
We all slip sometime or another, jus try to keep going.