Are You Depressed?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Its often said that a common side effect of diabetes is depression but it can sometimes go unnoticed and undiagnosed. Now I have no idea how accurate this test is but Its worth trying if you are feeling generally down and tired all the time, sometimes its not just about diabetes.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/ ... ldberg.php

desidiabulum

9 for me :D So either depression isn't inevitable for diabetics, or it doesn't work for MODY, or I'm just irritatingly positive about the world, or I'm away with the fairies....

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I scored 30 which is a vast improvement on 60+.....my state of mind a few years ago. From personal experience I do believe there is a link between diabetes and depression, although I can only speak as a T2 ID, and I don't know which came first with me, the depression or diabetes. I am very much better if I can keep my blood glucose levels down, as consistently high levels drive my need for carbs and sweet foods which in turn makes me depressed because I'm "out of control" of my body. Hope this makes sense :). Several years ago my then psychiatrist suggested I take Zinc and Magnesium, as he is of the opinion both are often lacking in depressed people. I will admit to having periods when I've left them off, but then wonder why I'm falling into that black hole again. I'm not saying they are a cure, just that they seem to help me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
31 - which is an improvement!

I agree that there is likely to be a link between diabetes and depression, (though not necessarily, of course). How about this for a simple reason:
  • make a constant effort to get good blood sugar results
    often fail to get good blood sugar results
    know how important it is to get good blood sugar results
    be constantly aware of your blood sugar results

This is about pressure. Diabetics are very lucky to have so much effective medicine, professional advice and equipment to mitigate the effects of a difficult medical condition. I remind myself all the time to be glad about this. The pressure is still there, though. :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Got a 69 ooh-err
Usually feel down if I get under 70% in any test :p
Last time I did one like this, my "psych advisor" said "You don't mean That! you mean this", changed my scores and said " You're not REALLY depressed!" :thumbdown: :crazy: