Veggie/vegan

Feebiecat

Hi peeps

i just wondered if there are any vegans or veggies out there? i used to be veggie for years and this week hav decided to go back but will also be cutting out milk and cheese to a recently discovered intolerance! im not one of those 'junk food' veggies as i love my fruit n veg and will be adopting a plant based diet but wondered if anyone had been eating this way and what the effect was on blood sugar.

thank you!x

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm vegetarian and have been for 30 years.

My thinking is that if there had been meat in chocolate I wouldn't have got diabetes

Cara

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi.
I have been veggie/almost vegan, for about 30 years. I have also been overweight for a lot longer than that. I was diagnosed with t2 9 years ago and the medication went up and up over the next 7 years. Then I dieted and lost a lot of weight, still a v/v but eating less of certain foods. As I lost weight my medication was reduced. Now at over 5 stones lighter I don't need medication for diabetes, it is controled by diet alone (with some easy exercise thrown in). I do drink milk, hence the almost bit above, but I don't eat any animal fats or eggs (egg to me is a chicken in kit form, it's meat I tell you!). A recent blood test confirmed that I am still below the diabetic line and my cholesterol is below the line too.
Good luck,
Lee.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
A hen can produce an egg without ever having met a cockerel.

We have free range chickens in out garden who only eat vegetarian food.

Te cats however eat meat so that throws another moral quandary at me. Which I choose to ignore

Cara

K

Kat100

Hi yes I have been a veggie for more than 50 years now, was always underweight, then about 2 years ago, need to drink frizzy drinks all the time, wright gain, did not have a clue why, a year ago the cause was found...
I had put on 3 stones, which one year on, I have now lost, medication and diet, diet not really changed much, but no sugar, just made some mince pies with mince sweetened with apple juice, I made the pastry but without any sweetener added :( a mistake, I should of put some xylitol in the pastry mix, they look good, but need a bit of sweetness, o well I will have to try again next week .
Back to veggie chat, I have almond milk, soya margarine, or olive oil based one....I eat most things just not meat or fish, all n moderation,.,,.,

K

Kat100

Sorry forgot to tell you, my bg level was 19 last year my last hba1c test was 6.5 best wishes and good luck with your diet, hope it goes well.....I still eat low fat cheese..

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was slim all my life, then I went veggie for 6 years during those 6 years I put on 2 stone, and got diabetes's.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have been veggie pretty much all my life, then in the last three months or so, vegan - like you because of dairy intolerance mostly.

My blood sugars are much better but the key for me was switching what foods I ate, rather than being veggie or not (as I always was).

I have always been on the slim side - bmi always around 22 - but I did eat predominantly carbs prior to diagnosis - so from a diabetic perspective wasn't a very 'sugar friendly' vegetarian - which meant I was around 18 fasting at diagnosis. I'm now around 6.

I should also mention I am mostly eating raw - and low carb; both of which have had a good effect on my blood sugars - but which I am still unsure about long term as its so very restrictive.

Hope this helps.

ExpectSuccess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
idiot advice about cals in and cals out and gms of carbs to eat per day from so-called professionals
Hi Artemis; cant work out how to reply to your pm it won't let me .. shall I give you my normal email on here?

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi... yes, that would be great, if it lets you / you don't mind :)

magriffe1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi! I'd been vegetarian for over 40 years and remained healthy with a normal bmi all that time until about 9 years ago when I had a breakdown and was put on some heavy duty drugs. They made me lethargic and led to my gaining 5 stone over those 9 years - mainly round the waist. I comfort ate all the wrong foods (mainly crisps and cakes) though I remained veggie and the inevitable happened - a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 2. At the same time they discovered I have liver fibrosis (non-alcoholic) which is a precursor to cirrhosis. Something had to be done. I became vegan, started watching my carbs, doing aerobics and weight training and have had a new lease on life. I'm on Metformin and my bg levels stay between 6 and 7. I have lost over a stone in weight and am really enjoying an almost raw vegan diet. I eat a cooked meal for dinner though and it's been fun trying out new recipes. One of the things that I do is have a green smoothie every day. I take loads of supplements as well. I draw my old age pension and I haven't felt this well for ages. I'd recommend trying a sugar free vegan diet to anyone who suffers from type 2 in the hope that it works as well for them as it does for me.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dawnmc said:
I was slim all my life, then I went veggie for 6 years during those 6 years I put on 2 stone, and got diabetes's.
I think you have made a very good point, might be that being a veggie might have given you a need for more sweet foods, not to sure mind you.

When I got diagnosed with diabetes type2 I went on a vegan type diet with no sugar or fats/oils. Over the last 2 years all has been well controlled without medication.( now modified with a little cheating here and there, yet still well controlled )
As we all are all different it would be difficult to recommend this kind of diet (yet these kind of meals are not as bad as you may think .

(my son bakes a vegan brownie without sugar or so called sweeteners "he uses nectar or maple syrup", got to be fair there so so good).
Roy, :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
izzzi said:
dawnmc said:
I think you have made a very good point, might be that being a veggie might have given you a need for more sweet foods, not to sure mind you...........

My equally poor diet would have been veggie if I didn't eat the meat. It was still the chocolates, the biscuits, the donuts, the sugar, the chips ......

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I became a hippo ,hubby became a elephant, it was the currys that did it sir. :lol:

A

adrianF

I've been a vegan for approx 3 years and consume quiet a lot of leaf based smoothies, which has helped me quiet a lot with my diabetic condition. :)