Pain and tingling in toes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been experiencing pain in my toes for sometime now, but in the last couple of days, the pain has been bad enough to wake me up at night.

The best way to describe it is that its like having someone stamp on your toes , or wearing tight shoes all day long.

My feet are in good condition, but I have now taken to Panadol Extra to try and relieve the pain.

I will be going to my doctor in about 7 days for an annual checkup, but this pain in the toes is getting unbearable.

Any advice.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has the pain been worse since the weather took a cold turn?

I've noticed signs of neuropathy creeping back in now the weather has got cold, and the only way I can make it stop is to make sure my feet are warm 100% of the time. I always used to walk around in barefoot, but nowadays it's thick socks and fur-lined boots, and big fluffy bedsocks at night. It seems to help me more than painkillers do.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Well hello,

I have the same, it's very unpleasant isn't it. I think it goes with the territory whether you're type 1 or 2, are you having your feet checked by the nurse? They usually check the feeling in your toes and soles with a tuning fork. My pain is worse in my big toes, is this the same for you?

Last year I joined a gym and went 3 times a week, walking on the treadmill for around 25 minutes had a dramatic effect on reducing pain in my feet. Have you tried regular walking? It worked for me.

Well, good luck then.

Q..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I had really bad pains in my toes more like someone pushing red hot barbed wire under my toe nails I was on metformin and I read that it could affect your vit B12 levels so I started to take a high dose complex vit B supplement and the pain has mostly gone but I also have had a twinge or 2 during this cold weather Perhaps you could get a blood test to see if you are vitB deficient but meanwhile keep warm :D
CAROL

Nik442

I've had similar in my big toe and second toe on my left foot, right is fine. Sometimes it feels like someone is standing on the very ends of those two toes and I also get sharp pains in them that last for a few seconds. Recently this has improved but I don't know why.

Nik

BramHall456

I am old 75.have terrible pain in my feet and perenium area.dr said its neuropathy and there was nothing could be done.Its a choice between very strong pain killers and going potty on side effects or the pain.I cant walk due to the nuropathy and find it very very distressing to the point of crying. Why me!!!!!! What have I done to deserve this.It is in my family apparently. You can inherit diabeties. Got my bs down to about 7.5 mmols from 17 mmols about 4/5 years ago.I take 5000mcg of the water soluable B12 vitamin ordered from Amerson.trouble is im like a bad apple.look all right on the out side but bad on inside also dont have a sympathetic family.people can be very cruel, ive been called hopalong and get off your bottom. Im old and knackered and at times wish I did not wake up in the morning that is if I get any sleep. Let this be a warning to those of you who still have low mmol s.you dont have to starve just eat min of low carbs and keep away from cakes, choc,sugery drinks etc. The food in our shops is full of salt and suger so its one hell of a job to find realy healthy food. If anybody knows of a good pain killer that does not affect the mind (or organs) let me know. I notice a lot of threads say dont worry. I am a killjoy If you get like me you will worry.and it can come on very quickley neuropathy its equal to MS. In fact proberbly worse.very few people in the public arena have heared of, its known as PN. So if your feet, legs perenium organs ureatha etc start to burn or pain your stuck with it.I have done a lot of research on the vitamin B complexes, you can find out a lot about this on the web.But it seems you can arrest diabeties and repair the mylin nerve sheaths if thre diabeties has not taken a foot hold. Dont deride me for putting the truth up front there are others out there who have my experience and worse. Have a nice day

simonng

Hi, I have similar symptoms as you described. Shooting sharp pain on my toes and feet. Pin and needle pain on my lower legs which is so sensitive that will pain when touched. I suspect neuropathy and have it for past two to three months. Currently on Gabapentin (Neurontin). Without this I don't think ì can deal with the pain and affecting my sleep. I am also on vitB12 now. Is there any hope that the pain will go away? Thanks for sharing. Cheers.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using DCUK Forum mobile app

BramHall456

To imintroublenow. This is neuropathy you have got, not nice atall,no cure, been looking my self.when you see the doctor ask for a b12 vitimin test. Advice on internet is to take benfortamine and soluble b12 look these up on inter net google. Part and parcel of diabeties..may help. Avoid pain killers if you can tey will drive you nutty

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found ibrufen gel a real help ,not to be used on open wounds though. I think bramall456 is so right. :wave:

opacity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Consumerism, waste, modern self-obsession with appearance, animal cruelty, pollution. Lies and liars.
To BramHall. After reading your first post my heart ached for you. It seems like you don't have the support you need. Be consoled by the fact that everyone in this forum understands and wishes you well. I hope your sad post was a temporary "downer" and you are feeling more positive now. All the best.

BramHall456

Hello Opacity.Thanks for your comments. No my feet are terrible the burning pain is intolerable.really find it hard to live with.affecting my legs as well. As. I said I have recearched the drugs available but to no avail.most of them if not all are mind benders. Does anybody,anybody know how to get relief from this terrible pain.you know diabeties is a horrendus complaint when it gets worse.i do hope all those out there realy know what its like.7days a week 52 weeks. a year of intolerable pain.and the thought of being a complete invalid. Hope im not upsetting people. One of my pet hates is some Doctors who cost cut on treatment and make life sometimes difficult for us. Like mine then you have nowhere to turn to.sorry eveyone just had to have a rant out of desperation

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
to Bramhall - I can empathise with your pain, as, although younger than you (58) I felt every bit of 100, with the pain that I suffered through neuropathy. I say suffered, because I think it is now under control! The symptoms are still there, and if I don't take my medication, the pain comes back with a bang, but with the combination I am on now, the pain is muted to the extent that it is a background murmur, and most importantly, I can sleep. You may not like the suggestion that I am about to make, as you say painkillers will drive you nutty, but lack of sleep will get you there far quicker, and is more debilitating. I am on a combination of pregabalin, duloxetine, and a Butrans patch, which is a transdermal patch which gives a constant steady feed of painkiller, without the up and downs of waiting for dose times. You wear it for a week, then change it for a new one. I started on 5mcg per hour, and am now on 10mcg.p.h. I have experimented, and tried the patch on its own, or the meds on their own, and I am straight back into the problem zone. But all three together are doing the job. I can function again, rested and more or less pain free, and I am prepared to deal with consequences should they arise. Right now, I feel fine, and I hope that with my improved bgs, the problem may reduce over time, although I am not holding my breath. Like you, I did not want to take mind altering drugs (antidepressants) but my doctor advised me that the duloxetine is used for children to help solve bedwetting, and that the dose I am on is lower that that, and I have known him long enough to know that he would not risk exposing a child to a drug that would affect their whole life. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and put our old fears and prejudices behind us, and accept what will help us continue the fight now. I have been given excellent advice here on the forum, and have also been given hope for the future, by other people sharing their pain and experience, , so I hope this may help you. Good luck and all the best for 2014. One day at a time. :)