Statins increase calcification of arteries

fatbird

The subject of statins is very controversial-some interesting information.

The effect of statins on coronary artery plaque features beyond stenosis severity is not known. Coronary CT angiography (CCTA) is a novel non-invasive method that permits direct visualization of coronary atherosclerotic features, including plaque composition. We evaluated the association of statin use to coronary plaque composition type in patients without known coronary artery disease (CAD) undergoing CCTA.

METHODS:
From consecutive individuals, we identified 6673 individuals (2413 on statin therapy and 4260 not on statin therapy) with no known CAD and available statin use status. We studied the relationship between statin use and the presence and extent of specific plaque composition types, which was graded as non-calcified (NCP), mixed (MP), or calcified (CP) plaque.

RESULTS:
The mean age was 59 ± 11 (55% male). Compared to the individuals not taking statins, those taking statins had higher prevalence of risk factors and obstructive CAD. In multivariable analyses, statin use was associated with increased the presence of MP [odds ratio (OR) 1.46, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.27-1.68), p < 0.001] and CP (OR 1.54, 95% CI 1.36-1.74, p < 0.001), but not NCP (OR 1.11, 95% CI 0.96-1.29, p = 0.1). Further, in multivariable analyses, statin use was associated with increasing numbers of coronary segments possessing MP (OR 1.52, 95% CI 1.34-1.73, p < 0.001) and CP (OR 1.52, 95% CI 1.36-1.70, p < 0.001), but not coronary segments with NCP (OR 1.09, 95% CI 0.94-1.25, p = 0.2).

CONCLUSION:
Statin use is associated with an increased prevalence and extent of coronary plaques possessing calcium. The longitudinal effect of statins on coronary plaque composition warrants further investigation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22981406

Atherosclerosis is the leading cause of disability and death in civilized societies. Many factors are involved in its initiation and progression.27,28 Homocysteine or oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) can initially damage the inner arterial lining (the endothelium).29 To repair this damage, the endothelium produces collagen that forms a cap over the injury site.

These endothelial collagen caps attract calcium that accumulates (calcifies) and forms a hard material resembling bone. This is why atherosclerosis is sometimes referred to as “hardening of the arteries.”

Calcification of the coronary arteries markedly increases heart attack risk.30

A substantial volume of studies shows that insufficient vitamin K2 accelerates arterial calcification.31 A new study shows that restoring vitamin K2 reverses arterial calcification.49

Vitamin K functions to keep calcium in the bone and prevent its buildup in the arteries.23-26,28,31 If that is all vitamin K did, it would be one of the most important nutrients for aging humans to take. Newly published research, however, indicates vitamin K2 possesses a host of additional benefits.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2009/jan ... ing_01.htm

Excellent sources of vitamin K include parsley, kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts, Swiss chard, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, thyme, romaine lettuce, sage, oregano, cabbage, celery, sea vegetables, cucumber, leeks, cauliflower, tomatoes, and blueberries.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... t&dbid=112

FB

fatbird

Checking the forum rules I could not see a ruling. Is it bad etiquette to bump your own post? It's just that I thought this may be of interest to some members.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You don't take statins if you're healthy.
So it's not surprising you aren't in tip top condition if you're on them.

Mediterranean diet, statins, right meds, good hba1c, good cholesterol, happy days.
And as many visits to the doctor, dietician, hospital, nhs gym, optometrist, even street golf, as the nhs will provide. If anyone said anything bad about my care, there would be a problem.
(nothing to do with the fact I'm now fit enough to have qualified as an open water diver, a year ago I would have qualified as a sea slug, on a good day)

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The vitamin k link is interesting, but otherwise this is mostly academic - the benefits/risks are already accounted for in the analysis the statin recommendation is based on.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the above comments and will be reading the references in full when I have a chance.

However if anyone is taking Warfarin please be aware that if you increase your intake of Vitamin K rich foods it will increase your INR and raise your risk of bleeding and associated side effects. Increase your intake slowly and discuss with your practice nurse, since you may need to increase your INR monitoring.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
douglas99 said:

with current prescribing guidelines, they stick you (or attempt to) on statins as soon as you hit 40, just in case...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Paul_c said:
douglas99 said:

with current prescribing guidelines, they stick you (or attempt to) on statins as soon as you hit 40, just in case...

Didn't with me, I went ten years without them, I'm only on them after the diabetes with highish cholesterol.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I wouldn't worry, Statins are the new bad, old hat, demonised (they cause muscle pain) so the pharmaceuticals say. They are bringing out a new drug even worse than the statin. But don't worry it will be fine.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The second article linking calcium loss from the bones to build up in the arteries leads to an interesting question.
We did it to death here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49502

Another reason to make sure low carb isn't leading to osteoporosis, or kidney or bladder stones.
And maybe at least to load up on foods high in vit K.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I was referring to the original post.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
What is fairly obvious to me is why it was posted in the way it was.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
edited that. :thumbup:

I think it's to eat a healthy range of foods.
From the list, they're all things I eat anyway, (apart from the brussel sprouts)

Excellent sources of vitamin K include parsley, kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts, Swiss chard, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, thyme, romaine lettuce, sage, oregano, cabbage, celery, sea vegetables, cucumber, leeks, cauliflower, tomatoes, and blueberries.

susanmanley

fatbird said:
The subject of statins is very controversial-some interesting information.

The effect of statins on coronary artery plaque features beyond stenosis severity is not known. Coronary CT angiography (CCTA) is a novel non-invasive method that permits direct visualization of coronary atherosclerotic features, including plaque composition. We evaluated the association of statin use to coronary plaque composition type in patients without known coronary artery disease (CAD) undergoing CCTA.

METHODS:
From consecutive individuals, we identified 6673 individuals (2413 on statin therapy and 4260 not on statin therapy) with no known CAD and available statin use status. We studied the relationship between statin use and the presence and extent of specific plaque composition types, which was graded as non-calcified (NCP), mixed (MP), or calcified (CP) plaque.

RESULTS:
The mean age was 59 ± 11 (55% male). Compared to the individuals not taking statins, those taking statins had higher prevalence of risk factors and obstructive CAD. In multivariable analyses, statin use was associated with increased the presence of MP [odds ratio (OR) 1.46, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.27-1.68), p < 0.001] and CP (OR 1.54, 95% CI 1.36-1.74, p < 0.001), but not NCP (OR 1.11, 95% CI 0.96-1.29, p = 0.1). Further, in multivariable analyses, statin use was associated with increasing numbers of coronary segments possessing MP (OR 1.52, 95% CI 1.34-1.73, p < 0.001) and CP (OR 1.52, 95% CI 1.36-1.70, p < 0.001), but not coronary segments with NCP (OR 1.09, 95% CI 0.94-1.25, p = 0.2).

CONCLUSION:
Statin use is associated with an increased prevalence and extent of coronary plaques possessing calcium. The longitudinal effect of statins on coronary plaque composition warrants further investigation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22981406

Atherosclerosis is the leading cause of disability and death in civilized societies. Many factors are involved in its initiation and progression.27,28 Homocysteine or oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) can initially damage the inner arterial lining (the endothelium).29 To repair this damage, the endothelium produces collagen that forms a cap over the injury site.

These endothelial collagen caps attract calcium that accumulates (calcifies) and forms a hard material resembling bone. This is why atherosclerosis is sometimes referred to as “hardening of the arteries.”

Calcification of the coronary arteries markedly increases heart attack risk.30

A substantial volume of studies shows that insufficient vitamin K2 accelerates arterial calcification.31 A new study shows that restoring vitamin K2 reverses arterial calcification.49

Vitamin K functions to keep calcium in the bone and prevent its buildup in the arteries.23-26,28,31 If that is all vitamin K did, it would be one of the most important nutrients for aging humans to take. Newly published research, however, indicates vitamin K2 possesses a host of additional benefits.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2009/jan ... ing_01.htm

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... t&dbid=112

FB

This is an interesting post.
My husband has post polio syndrome and over the last few years has been suffering more and more. In July it all got too much and no help from doctors. We did our own research [which I normally do not recommend] and from this he stopped his statins. There was a dramatic improvement. He could walk much better and pain levels very reduced. He is still having problems but definitely not as bad.
Mentioned this to the doctor who just said it was probably a good idea to stop them. When we asked why he hadn't said anything he just shrugged!!!

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
douglas99 said:
edited due to misunderstanding.

I think I should have made it easier to see what I was referring to. :D

I can't do with sprouts but the rest, yes please

mcdonagh47

Mongoose39uk said:
Read it, read the links

Your point is what exactly?

Since the statin users are on them because of raised cholesterol
the result is actually a surrogate measure of the damage done by raised cholesterol.

and of course there is no indication in the results whether the calcification took place BEFORE statins were started ( which is likely ) and whether the statins have helped to reduce or stabilise the rate of calcification.

It is known that cholesterol deposited in the cusps or "leaflets" in the Aortic Valve triggers the start of Aortic stenosis (calcification of the important Aortic valve threatening sudden death ). Aortic stenosis in the heart valves is the equivalent of atherosclerosis of the arteries. And yes sufferers from Aortic stenosis are routinely prescribed statins to help reduce the assault of cholesterol on the heart valves.

So you could do a study ( analogous to one at the start of the thread) of people taking statins and those not taking them and find that the rate of Aortic stenosis was much higher in the statin takers than in the non-statin users. Well of course it is - statins are part of the treatment !

One of the major benefits of statins is that when atherosclerotic plaques are present in the arteries the statins help to form a cap or crust over them. This makes them much more stable and less likely for bits to break off and cause heart attacks etc. It is the unstable friable plaques that cause most damage.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I know that, I am curious why what point the original poster was trying to make