Healthy BS OR cholesterol....what a choice

mpe

Luna21 said:
I got my 6 monthly results yesterday and my HbA1c is 40 mmol, which I'm pleased with, however my cholesterol has gone up to 4.9 which obviously I'm not too happy with. That's a rise of 1.6 I think.

The best value for a woman would actually appear to be 5.4 mm/l (4.4 for men). With "too low" being more dangerous than "too high".
It's unclear where the hypocholesterolemic "targets" actually come from. Indeed the NHS appears to be in total denial when it comes to hypocholesterolemia and it's health risks. (Some of which might be easily misdiagnosed as diabetes related.)

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybird said:
Good for you to many negative talk about statins on this forum.Yes the heart is a muscle as someone said but would the British Heart Foundation recommend them if they thought they caused heart problems I don't think so

You'd have thought the BHF wouldn't recommend something that was bad for you, but then DCUK recommend a relatively high carb diet for T2 diabetics and many on here would think that was extremely bad advice.

mpe

Maybird said:
Good for you to many negative talk about statins on this forum.Yes the heart is a muscle as someone said but would the British Heart Foundation recommend them if they thought they caused heart problems I don't think so

In the world of "target driven medicine" things don't always work in logical ways. If someone is taking satins to prevent CHD then so long as they don't die from CHD it's considered a sucess. Even if they were to die from CHF or cardiomyopathy. Nerver mind any of possible ways in which the drug could kill them!

suewho

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
spiders,
Hi Luna, Have you looked at the other cholesterol reducing tricks oatmeal (e.g. crackers) or cholesterol lowering products e.g. flora, yoghurts based on plant stannols? these are proven to work. Good luck, don't give up hopefully you'll get there with time!

Jenn1f3r

apparently avocados are good for cholesterol. .. last time mine was checked it was up at 6.9 although no one seems worried about this :-S

L

Luna21

I've been away for a while so only catching up now on some of the posts.
Thanks to all for the replies and advice.

I'm sticking with statins, I don't have side effects and doubt they will do any harm. I don't know my cholesterol breakdown as I forgot to ask, (can't believe I did that) and although I can check up on my diabetes results online as I live in Scotland they still haven't been updated yet. It will be interesting to see what each level actually is.

I don't really eat that much of what might be considered 'high fat' food, ie cream, full fat milk, fatty meats, so apart from nuts I don't really see where I can cut back any more. I'm finding it quite difficult to try and balance BG, cholesterol and weight - all at the same time!
I do eat a small amount of porridge perhaps twice a week, as too much sends my BG soaring...I always use cholesterol lowering spreads, and eat loads of veggies, as I find I have to watch what fruit I eat too. I do like to cook from scratch so everything I eat is home made.

I exercise every day; generally don't eat more than 1200 calories, and I'm now very slim, so I'm really feeling like I'm doing everything I can to keep healthy. I guess my stupid body doesn't want to help out any more! :roll:

I'm also not presently on metformin, so I wonder if this might help my BG any, and help me to juggle my diet a bit? Apparently the hospital DN's automatically give all their newly diagnosed type 2's metformin, but my DN at the doctors surgery doesn't? Confusing or not? :***:

Anyway, thanks for the input folks,and sorry it took so long to get back to you.