weight loss and blood sugar

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi
since sept I have lost 3 stone in weight , not actually dieting , but trying to eat the right foods , low carbs , I am t2 diabetic recently diagnosed , I have just had my first hab1c results and it stated 6.1 im not sure what this means if it is good or bad ??

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Very well done sandysan :clap:

The most important thing you can do to help your control is to lose weight as the principle factor in T2 diabetes is insulin resistance and when you lose weight you lose insulin resistance.

Even slim T2's have been shown to have visceral fat around their organs which causes insulin resistance so even a slim T2 can benefit from dieting and losing their visceral fat and along with it their insulin resistance.

It has definitely been the biggest factor in my control having lost 5 stone + (70lb +) And is the main reason that I am able to eat carbs in moderate amounts without it overly affecting my bg levels.

Keep up the good work and keep that weight off and you will reap the rewards :thumbup:

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks doug and sid

to sid , wow 5 stone brilliant work , is that your hba1c reading 5.1 at the end of your messages? is that under a diabetic reading , mine is 6.1 I don't understand how to work it out but I think its still in the diabetic range , I know I will always be a diabetic but I do want it to be lower than 6.1 ,.. Im still a big woman 15.7plb now and have lots to loose , so maybe if I loose another couple of stone I might be better, its hard going at the moment im getting a bit stuck again food wise , if I do a low carb and fat diet im worried about cholestral as mine is slightly raised all swings and roundabouts , and xmas coming up I know I will fall off the rails im hoping I can eat things but try and not binge at them

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
congrats :) well done

have you had your chol tested lately, low carbing high fatting has drastically reduced my chol too

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think my cholestral they said was slightly raised , 5.4 ,,,
I got to learn and read up on the fats ,, I have only concentrated for the last 3 months on lowish carbs , but I do need to introduce some other foods into my diet , it gets boring at times ,:)

claire7419

sandysan said:
hi
since sept I have lost 3 stone in weight , not actually dieting , but trying to eat the right foods , low carbs , I am t2 diabetic recently diagnosed , I have just had my first hab1c results and it stated 6.1 im not sure what this means if it is good or bad ??

Congrats. Keep going!