Reducing metformin

Pompeygirl

T2 diagnosed 4 months ago straight onto 2 x metformin twice a day. My BS readings are between 5.5 and 6.8 every day now with occasional 4s. I am very low carb and have lost plenty of weight. Not due to have my next bloods or DN till end jan. I would be interested to know what u all think.. Should i reduce the meds myself?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Personally I would wait till you get your next results and discuss it with your DN.

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say, ask to speak to your nurse asap for advise, but got to admit I took my self off them. bgs were too low and I did not want a hypo.best wishes.

sarah

Your numbers are excellent, well done. Why would you want to reduce your meds? They have played a part in your success :D

Pompeygirl

Hi sarah they may have done although im not sure to what extent metformin helps me keep my numbers down. And reduce them because long term it cant be good for you, i am on max dose and if i can get same results with less that has to be good. No?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robhuxster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was on meteor min for years and now my kidneys have packed up, doctor says metformin the cause. I'm now waiting to go on dialysis!

sarah

As I understand it, metformin isn't that good at keeping your numbers down- is it something like an average of 2.0 m/mols? So once it's out of your system, you're looking at your numbers being between 7.5 and 8.8. If you're ok with that, then go for it, but I would wait to see your GP first. Do bear in mind also that metformin helps with weightloss and appetite control, which of course in itself helps with losing weight.

xx