Shoes/feet!

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Right this may sound pretty stupid but can anyone recommend any decent comfortable shoes as I am constantly in pain having problems with my feet and the only shoes that are comfy are my Uggs, which im told by my podiatrist that I can't wear them as they are no good! :( I was thinking of Nike Air max's but I don't know....help!! any suggestions as I am getting fed up with being in pain when I walk :( 19 years old btw haha :(

collectingrocks

Hi Nicola

Where "exactly" is the pain - i.e. toes, arch, heel?

Uggs may look nice but don't give heel/ankle support. Are you a working girl...do you need comfy shoes for work or just to bum around in?

D

Deleted member 83869

It's mainly my little toes, earlier in the year I had a diabetic ulcer on my little toe and now I just get blisters and they are always aching. And I work and I walk to work every weekday about 4-5 miles a day!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
clarks unstructured dont look good but i dont know I have them on in summer. really comfy.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Nicola Anne,

I too wear only Clarks shoes, most of them they do in a choice of width fittings, and they are nearly all leather. In the summer I wear Fitflops, they are fab !!

Hope you find some really comfy shoes soon.

:)

D

Deleted member 83869

hmm I will have to have a look about I guess! its just so frustrating! so many shoes I want to wear but I cant!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
You would have thought your podiatrist could have or recommended what type of shoe you should wear.
Just be sure that you get your feet properly measured.(so important as so many times one foot is a different size to the other)
Have a look at Padders shoes on google, they show a good idea what is required.
Clarks does sound a good choice.

Best of luck.

Roy.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wear Ecco shoes with a slight wedge heel. I have a slip-on version and a pair that secure with velcro straps. They have an orthotic type insole. I don't like the flat Ecco lace-ups because I find them too flat. My consultant approves of my choice of shoe. I have some Nike Air lace-ups but they are not as comfy as the Eccos. For long country walks I have a pair of Brasher Hillmaster walking shoes.

http://shopeu.ecco.com/uk/en/ecco/corse_445391/445392?navId=182&page=-1&price=2-355

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know you are young, but have you looked at Hotter shoes? They are expensive but they have a hidden bit on their website where the shoes are mostly half price http://www.hottershoes.com/en/Women/Fac ... ryId=10161

They aren't all granny shoes, my daughter (who is in her 20's) got a nice pair of walking boots and trainer type shoes.

collectingrocks

Some good choices here but not sure if Ecco do young people's shoes. I know Clarks do and proper leather are worth the investment.

Is it worth just buying up a few cheap pairs that you like (e.g. Shoezone) and wear a different pair every day? I buy new work shoes (cheap) about every 3 - 4 months and at least get to wear what I like.

And how can a girl feel good if she doesn't have a good pair of shoes?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Like Engineer, Bernie and collectingrocks I tend to buy my shoes at Clarks, the bigger stores have a good selection and their shoes are well made and more importantly comfortable.

I have wide feet and Clarks are one of the only shoe shops that cater for wide/extra-wide feet. And it is vital that we look after our feet as you have discovered NicolaAnne, blisters are not nice and can turn even nastier very quickly especially if someone may have reduced blood flow to their feet.

The only other comfortable shoes I like are Loake but they are quite expensive and I dont think they make shoes for women :(

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sid,
Loake do make ladies shoes and boots, but they do look like mens shoes.

Can you tell that I live in Northants the home of the great shoe industry.

Roy :)

D

Deleted member 83869

Thank you for all the feedback! I would go with all the suggestions if they werent just aimed at older people! haha no offence! the shoe zone ones rarely do my size :( so frustrating

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ni colaAnne1994 said:
Thank you for all the feedback! I would go with all the suggestions if they werent just aimed at older people! haha no offence! the shoe zone ones rarely do my size :( so frustrating
:) :) :) "WHAT" :) :) :)
If you wear properly fitted shoes from the day you start wearing shoes at a young age you will never have foot problems.

Luckily I am not one of those oldies as I am only 66 years young.

However you are right, hope it all goes well with your modern shoes.

Roy. :)

D

Deleted member 83869

Roy, sorry if offended! didn't mean to aha! It's difficult because I am a size 8 and finding decent shoes in the right size is a nightmare, every shop has different sizing etc mainly being they are too small or not having my size in! :(

Hopeful Alfie

DB shoes Ltd (on line) do a selection of good quality wide fitting shoes in both "his & hers". If diabetic, think comfort before fashion 'cos foot transplants are difficult and rare. :D

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You just need to look around as much as you can. Buy the widest shoes you can buy. Look at the natural (before being compressed by wearing shoes) foot shape, it should be widest at the toes, that's therefore the shape the shoes should follow. Most modern shoes will not do that as someone has decided somewhere that it's more aesthetically pleasing to have shoes that narrow to the toes.

A strong foot should not end arch or ankle support, but many modern shoes are acting like a plaster cast, OK when you have an injury, but doesn't help you build any natural strength.

I switched all my running shoes to this style about three years ago and have had no foot problems since.

Take a look here http://naturalrunningcenter.com/

They provide a lot of the research and also have a number of shoe sellers associated.

Reactions: 2 people