has anybody gone from meds to insulin

Vangellis0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i have been a type 2 diabetic for 20 years and everything has been ok .But this last year my sugar is heading for the sky and my doctor says it is time for insulin as he things there's no insulin left in me.But my diabetic nurse is not so sure.My Question is has any one made this transition what was the outcome .I am 8 tablets a day all they do is make feel real nauseous all day but still manage work a 12 hour day even now i am retired . sugar is usually 6 to 5.8 now creeping up to 9 if if i starve all day many thanks vangellis
could post meds if anyone is interested but its the usual met 1500 ,gliz 6mg,tranja20mg ,rampril 10mg,aspirin 75mg simmvastin 20mg,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like the same trail I had. If you are not much overweight then it would imply a failing pancreas. Even if overweight you could still be needing insulin but it is important to get the weight near to 'normal' to help remove any insulin resistance. If you are having to starve yourself like I did to keep sugars down then you won't be overweight anyway. I've been on insulin for 9 months and it's the best thing I ever did as tablets, similar to yours, weren't working and I couldn't eat anything. Injecting insulin these days with modern pens is really easy and less painful than doing finger pricks. I can now eat very freely and have only put on a few pounds. I still keep the carbs down most of the time to avoid weight gain. If you have a good DN/GP for insulin and can discuss options with them then I would certainly recommend the Basal/Bolus regime I'm on. It does involve two insulins and two pens with typically 2 to 3 injections a day but has full flexibility. I use the smallest 4mm long needles and Novo pens with disposable cartridges.

BobCornelius

Hi,

I too was originally diagnosed as T2, and on Metformin, Gliclizide etc, however a GAD antibody test earlier this year confirmed T1/1.5, so now I take basal/bolus insulin. Much better control!

:)

Bob

blackcat79

Ive been type 2 seem May 12 on low carb n pills but hbc1 went up to 9 from 7.5 so im on insulin 5 times a day n 2 different pills. Sugars run between 12- 22 from 17-33. So better but not great. Its easy to do tho its stings abit n bruises at times.
Good luck
Sue

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Blackcat. Your readings still seem very high. I assume you've adjusted the Basal and use carb-counting for the Bolus? I currently aim for around 4.5 to 5.5 morning fasting and try to keep around 6 to 7 two hours after a meal if I can get the carb estimate right. I've not had a hypo yet, but there's plenty of time left!

blackcat79

Hi
Well just to clinic and insulin is working as gone from 9% to 8.6% iin 10 wks. Upped basal more now to 20u in am 20u at night. But endo doc thinks i may have crushing so bn tested for that having yo collect 3 24 hr wees lol.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Vangellis0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks to everyone ,seems I should be less worried than I was ,i start early January doc needs to find a hour to go through thinks with me .vangellis0