did i take my insulin?

nannyani1

Hello all, im in a bit of a fix at the moment and wonder if anyone can help me.
The thing is ive been up since 3am and tested my bgl at 7.30 and stabbed myself with my pen as i normaly do. But my problem is i cant remember turning the dial or even pushing the plunger.

Do i leave it and keep an eye on it and use my novarapid if the bgl readings get too high, and if so how high should i let them go first??

I know this was a stupid mistake to make when im normaly so good and well organised, i must be more tired than i thought!

Any help or advice would be gratfully recieved, thank u xxxx. :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What insulin are we talking about, is it your basal or your bolus your not sure about?

nannyani1

Oops sorry i was still half asleep.

Im on insulatard twice a day and novorapid if i need it.

Ive tested since breakfast and it has gone down from 9.0 to 8.0.

AMBrennan

From this very site:
I can’t remember whether or not I injected?

Many people on insulin report problems of not remembering whether or not they took an injection.

This can lead to a dangerous quandary - do you inject and risk injecting twice, putting yourself at risk of severe hypoglycemia. Or, do you not inject and risk missing out having injected at all, which could lead to high blood glucose levels.

In this situation, it is likely to be more dangerous if you inject twice. It is better to hold off on injecting and monitor your blood glucose levels every 30 minutes.

If your blood glucose levels become too high, it could indicate that you have not injected.

If you are at all unsure how to manage the situation, contact your health team or out of hours service, who will be able to advise you.

nannyani1

Thank you for that thats kinda what i thought, ive been keeping an eye on my levels and judging by the results i think i must have taken my morning dose. If anything they were a little low at times but ive been quite busy today so maybe thats why.

I hope that any youngsters that may be going out and having a few drinks read this, just in case they forget or think they have forgotten to take their insulin, they will know what to do.

Thanx again, Anita xx

kitty71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just spotted this post and joined d site to tell you about insulin pens that you can get with a device added to them which can tell u how long ago u took ur insulin mine is a Novopen echo - not sure if other companies do them but I find it brill as I often wondered had I taken my insulin and sometimes wondered how much I had taken, this pen is a life saver!

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I have two different types of insulin but the pen for Novorapid is in a hard plastic case with space for three needles so I can immediately tell whether I've given myself an injection, or at least I know if I've unwrapped the needle as I can't always remember if I've actually stuck it in myself! The Lantus is done when I go to bed which makes it easier to remember.

I have just been given a Novopen Echo but haven't been able to use it yet because the needles that I use for the other two pens won't fit the Echo. As I will still be using the Lantus pen it means I will have to have two different boxes of needles. I don't think the nurse realised it didn' take the same needles, although she had tried to get the same pen that I have been using but it looks like it's been discontinued but WHY couldn't they make the new pen take the old needles!!

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Echo and Lantus and they both take the BD Microfine needles that the Novorapid disposable pens used..