So... im a type 1 diabetic

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Test strips to detect ketones in the blood are considerably more expensive and GP can limit your request because of the cost. Limit doesn't mean stop.
On the other point GP are supposed to give to a T1 diabetic as many blood glucose strips as necessary to test before every meal, before driving and every time is necessary.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I requested ketostix (ketone test strips) but didn't receive them on the prescription, are they discontinued like so many other medication have been?

I have also resorted to having no insulin left until the next few days because my surgery needs to take 48 hours for online prescriptions, I just hope that I can go through the next few days without my basal insulin (Lantus), I don't have any out-of-pocket money left to buy it from the chemist as an emergency. Is this risking DKA, I haven't eaten anything apart from light snacks, have no ketostix to test with so I have no idea if I have DKA or not. The reason why I don't have my lantus is because I thought I had more in the fridge but I realized that when I asked for that on my prescription they did not prescribe it to me - this makes me wonder if it also has been discontinued.

SimonClifford

You'll be heading towards DKA in 12 hours or so, for sure. Might be able to stave it off by taking rapid-acting insulin every hour. Try giving yourself your Lantus-dose/20 every hour. This is a last-ditch fixit.
Get to the hospital & beg a dose of Lantus.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No need to beg, they have to provide you with it. Remember to bring some proof though.

SimonClifford

Glucose-test, glucose-test, glucose-test. Adjust with rapid-acting. You're gonna get through a good 30 test strips this weekend. No matter.
Effectively you'll be doing a kind-of manual insulin-pump affair.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tested my blood glucose and it says 5.9, would I still be at risk of DKA even if it's not high? I haven't eaten in about a day which I think could contribute to the risk. I don't think the blood sugar I have is worth taking novorapid for since that could make me hypo and I don't have anything to counteract the hypo with.

SimonClifford

You're fine at 5.9. Pump users are advised to get worried at ~14. (Personally, I get to 19 before ketones appear & I feel well ikky)
You're still using the leftover Lantus which is controlling the background glucose.
Keep it under watch, correct every hour with your novorapid. Get to the chemist & beg some Lantus off your next prescription. Failing that, beg some from the hospital if it's near enough. Test test test.
(Ketosticks arn't much use, use blood-ketone testing, There are a couple of BGMs out there that also do blood ketones with the proper strips)

SimonClifford

You don't have anything to counter a hypo with? :-o sugar & starch are the easiest things to buy anywhere at any time of day!
I can't believe a type-1 diabetic doesn't have a stash of something to hand.

Effel

Just go to the out of hours and get a prescription. I used to get all my prescriptions like that! They don't like you doing it because it costs more and eventually they started giving me funny looks and lectures for doing it but don't suffer, or put yourself at risk it's not worth it especially when talking DKA, we all know how much that sucks.

SimonClifford

NMR,
What you have, is actually, an emergency.
I know it doesn't seem like it, no blood & nobody passing out.
But nonetheless that bit of advice from Effel is good. Use the emergency systems to sort yourself, but for goodness sake, do SOMETHING.

Effel

I agree with simon there, I've been in the same situation as you in the past NMR many times and now is one I avoid like the plague now.one thing I have learnt though though is that you can get insulin all the time 24/7 and it's best to get it while you are physically able, I was mistaken for a drunk once when in DKA and it was only when I fell into a coma in the street that someone rang an ambulance

SimonClifford

Effel,
What're your top list of places to get insulin at, say, 1am in (i) a town, (ii) a city & (iii) "the sticks"?
(Yep - this IS a tricky one, especially before breakfast on a Sunday ;)

Effel

A&E if no pharmacies are open if they are then go to your doctor or the out of hours, no matter what someone will have to help you, I've rang my doctors on the day and said I can't go without a prescription by the end of the day and it was done, I've turned up at a&e with the same thing they found supplies from the wards and I've used out of hours gps at the weekends. But I have to stress these are never practical for either parties you have to wait a long time even if you are feeling ill and it's costs nhs more for emergency prescriptions

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a regular and when I arrived at the nearest chemist (there are no all-hours places i know of) they said unless it was on their system I had to pay the odd £70.

Furthermore, I think i'm getting the warning signs of DKA, as i'm trying not to be sick, my heart is starting to beat faster, which in turn is giving me horrible chest pain, the nearest hospital is 10 miles away so walking there is out of the question. Who do I need to call? my GP at surgery is unavailable and I don't have anyone to take me to the hospital fast enough before it's too late.