Disciplinary at work Help please

QasimH

Hi All,

It's been a while since I have posted on here hope everybody is well :) , I really could do with some advice from some fellow diabetics or those with some legal knowledge in relation to employment.

I am a type 1 diabetic since 19 (just turned 25) I have tried to get on with things since being diagnosed in 2008 but it has only hit me know due to recent events the full extent of my condition. I will try and cut a long story short.

I work in retail and I am going through disciplinary action due to leaving a number of high value items out of reach from customers behind the main till but my manager claims that they were on display but I have to stress that they were out of reach.

I have been really upset with work and feel really depressed because of the work load and lack of support from my manager I have had previous problems with her in the past but before she was manager she is currently acting manager my actual manager was always supportive of me and my condition. ( I am not allowed to disclose the company I work for an the exact ins and outs of the disciplinary as it would be a breach).

I have been afraid ever since she became manager that my job was not safe so I use to try and remain on the shop floor to achieve my targets even though I have been feeling unwell or down. Fearing for my job I have always found it hard to talk to my manger and I feel that she Is waiting for me to put another foot wrong so she can get me sacked. At work my sugars have always been up and down and I believe on the afternoon the incident took place my blood glucose level was low I know it is my fault but I have been afraid and upset that I did not want to leave. I was not thinking straight.

I now realise that my health comes first and will be careful from now on in whatever job I do in the future. I am happy to serve notice and leave but I want to clear my name and ensure that other people should not face what I have been through.

Thank you all I'm sorry for rambling on.

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Disciplinary at work Help please

I do feel for you, because what has happened to you could have been anyone, diabetic or not. your acting manager has been very unfair, but there is always one like this where ever you will work.

fractureman

Join Usdaw the union for retail employees I'm a shop steward for them & have never had an issue with my employer.
You can only be dismissed for gross misconduct. It doesn't sound like the issue is that at all.
Inbox me if you like & I'll help if I can

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

As a diabetic you are registered as Disabled. This means an employer has to take some care in how they handle you. I'm not suggesting you take unfair advantage of that fact but you do have this to draw on if needed.

collectingrocks

Hi Qasimh

I know exactly how you feel. But as is often the case, it is not what you have done/or not done, but rather your manageress taking things out on you. It may be either she is on a power trip or is insecure and is looking at ways to make your life hell. A disciplinary for leaving stock in the wrong place is totally disproportionate and unnecessary and seeing you squirm under the stress just adds to her sense of control. Where I work, my boss is a passive-aggressive, is very insecure and even more so if other people have more knowledge on a particular subject than him/her. Knowledge is power.

Trust me, this has absolutely nothing to do with you being diabetic. And a minor "transgression" should not lead to a disciplinary. If this does take place, take a trusted friend and take notes. Some people might even like to take a recording device with them - you'd be surprised just what a difference in attitude this makes to the person bringing the disciplinary.

And what's the worst she can do? Your manager cannot sack you for a minor transgression. If she does, you ere entitled to take your employer to a tribunal (and win). All your manager can do is make your life hell. Unfortunately, there are so many bad managers out there and they are kept on because they get results (i.e. increase profits for example). It does not matter who they tread on/upset in the process. I used to take it personally but now know its not me - its my manager.

And yes, don't ever disclose your company on a public forum as you never know who's reading.

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

did you see channel 4 program on psychopath's. behaviour, be careful, take collectingcrocks advise. :shock:

QasimH

Hi All,

I really appreciate all the support and kind comments I feel a little better already :) I am going to see my doctor in the morning to talk about my health.

I will go in to my disciplinary admitting fault as to leaving stock to aside but I will also mention that my head has been all over the place due to the way I have been feeling.

I do realise now that health should always be my number one priority and I shouldn't be afraid in the future to make sure I get the adequate support needed. I just hope to God that all this is over done with as soon as possible as it is adding to stress that I can do without :-(

I do not feel that I can work there anymore as my manager will keep close tabs on me waiting for me to put a foot wrong. Whatever the outcome is I feel that the mutual trust between me and my manger has been destroyed.

I do not want to leave before finding other employment because I know how hard jobs are to find these days. I guess I will know more Wednesday evening.

Thank you all once again.

jopar

First things first...

Did you leave the items there because you were hypo and if so can you prove it!

Under the disability act (in relation to diabetes)

An employer must ensure when taking disciplinary actions that diabetes has not play part...

So if you left them there, an your judgment doing so was due to an hypo which you then treated, and you have the readings on your blood glucose meter then for you manager to take disciplinary measures, so as verbal warning upwards would be against the disability act..

If it was just a case of error of judgement then your manager can take disciplinary measure they deem appropriate, they should have a code of conduct, with the option to appeal against any decision made. (if you aim to appeal don't sign to say you except the punishment)

Several places you can ask for advice..

Your local cab
Diabetes uk, Their employment advocate team are good and very supportive worth calling to discuss your situation
ACASS, You can speak to acass, they will provide basic support at the start, and won't intervene until your disciplinary has reached a certain point.

My husband went through 6 months of hell, in a job that he has done for 23 years and enjoyed doing, he's never had a discipline in any job he's done... Yet he found himself facing serious disciplinary action (a final written warning) all he did was swear in front of a deputy manager in the duty office during a hypo which he could prove via his meter reading.

The company was amendment that they had full right to implement this warning, even though Diabetes UK, sent us the revelant information saying they couldn't! It went to appeal with an area manager who intended to uphold the disciplinary action, that was until ACASS made a phone call... It boy should have seen the speed at which the company changed their minds and tried bury everything as though it had never happened.

QasimH

Hi all thank you for your concern :) I got a disciplinary hearing on Wednesday so will know more then :-(

I'm just trying to get Wednesday out of the way then will decide what to do :)

I want to thank you all for the support.

QasimH

Pompeygirl said:
Qasim what is the level of offence? Have they said it us misconduct or gross misconduct? Have u been suspended?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I'm guessing it can amount to gross misconduct but no stock was stolen, according to my manager I left it on show.

I have suffered many hypos at work although I am offered breaks here and there which I will not deny but because I use to worry about my job safety I have made the situation worse for myself. I was work on Saturday and I took 3 mini breaks to test my blood and sugar and the shift went smoothly with no problems at all :)

To be honest I now realise that if I'm feeling unwell I will leave the shop floor to ensure I am okay :) without fearing what my manager thinks

either way I doubt I will stay in the job as the mutual trust and confidence has been destroyed between me and my manager.

collectingrocks

Make sure you note down everything and try and take a trusted colleague in with you for support. Make sure you get all the facts from your manager. I am very surprised and appalled that things have gone this far.

WhitbyJet

QasimH said:
Hi all thank you for your concern :) I got a disciplinary hearing on Wednesday so will know more then :-(

I'm just trying to get Wednesday out of the way then will decide what to do :)

I want to thank you all for the support.

Thinking of you today, hope it all goes well, go in there, hold your head up high

Big hug x

trevjones

Hi
depending on the outcome today, you may wish to get some further advice from Citizens Advice Bureau because there appears to be an outside chance that this could be covered by discrimination law for a disablement (this includes some, but not all, long term conditions). This is by no means certain, so best to see Citizens Advice personally if things go badly.

QasimH

Hi all, thank you so much for your support and encouragement :) really appreciate it, I was apologetic and remorseful for whist happened but also raised mitigating circumstances. I have been given a warning which is on my record for 6 months.

I am going to write a letter to head office and get a support statement drawn up by my doctor to ensure I get breaks without being subjected to any detriment.

Thank you all once again.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

if your manager is making you feel more stressed, can you not request to be moved to another department and work for a different manager who understands your diabetes a bit more?