Carbohydrate

I control my Diabetes by the most rigid of low carbohydrates. It is boring and restrictive but it works. When I receive my Balance my wife sees recipes that would send my BG flying and thinks that because they are in there I should be able to eat them.
Perhaps Ok for Type 1 but not for me.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can't be worse than my wife.

I've been type 2 for over two years.
I asked her to get me one garibaldi biscuit when see went in the kitchen.
Bear in mind I'm also a on a restricted calorie diet as well.

Comes back with half a packet of chocolate digestives.
"Couldn't find them, will these do instead"

Two bl**dy years, then wondered why I didn't say thankyou.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
seeing as we are moaning , my father in law whos house we are going to christmas day says to me yesterday, christmas day i want you to let yourself go, you need to have a drink and eat everything including the potatoes and puddings etc, because your always so miserable because you arent eating what everyone else is, i know this makes you unhappy, it wont hurt you to eat and drink, then i had to endure the uncle albert ho had diabetes ate and drank whatever he liked (had hes leg off before the heart attack btw) and her aunt who last time i saw her told me it was ok to eat whatever i liked, she does etc etc, now i am tottaly not looking forward to christmas day, i am not going to do what he says but i feel like im going to spoil hes christmas by looking after myself, ***

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, DUK and Balance mag often haven't got a clue about diabetes. I email'd them a few months back when their dessert recipies really got me mad. DUK tend to cater more for T1s. They don't understand the low-carb diet needed by T2s and have apparently never heard of T1.5s. This forum is centred around real diabetics and the experience they have to offer.

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
Hi Andy
It must be so frustrating for you, trying to keep others happy in the short term, whist looking out for both you and them in the long run. You have my complete sympathy, and while it is easy to say, and you must of heard a hundred times, you must live your own life.
For all sorts of reasons, my wife and I do not "do" christmas. we will have a normal day, neither of us can cope with the stress of a "family" gathering. We both enjoy getting together with family, but only at times when we can leave if things get to stressful. So we visit the family, taking presents and things over a number of weeks. Sort of spread the joy, and the grand children love it.
I will think of you, and people in your position, I realise it is easy for me, have a good one :D

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread is ringing an awful lot of bells.

My other three-quarters, bless her, seems to think that I'm currently starving myself to death and keeps suggesting that I 'should eat' (I have 3 decent meals per day, BTW, and have never snacked between meals). When I do eat, she often looks at the portion size I've dished out for myself and suggests: 'Surely that's not enough?'.

Mother-in-law is pretty much the same. She's an absolute diamond but she's told my wife that she's worried I'm not eating 'properly' and has bought me a premium Xmas Pudding for when she comes over to stay, the week after next. That was after the roast dinner she made for us when we went to see her 3 weeks ago, with a special (v. sweet) cheesecake for afters.

I didn't want to disappoint her so I ate some, but paid for it over the next day or two.

I've tried to explain to people that left to my own devices I'm fine, but some don't seem to want to accept that, particularly the older generation, who were brought up with a different notion of what 'eating really well' meant.

I'll get through this first Xmas as a T2, I'm sure, but it's already feeling like it's going to be a bit of a struggle.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Am I missing something ?
We are having soup ( my family will have bread rolls but I won't).
Next course is Turkey with the trimmings , vegetables ( my family will have potatoes but ill just have a couple of roasters).
Dessert may be a problem so i'll have a taste and eat the cheese and oatcakes with grapes.
I'm type 2 and not stressing.I've got diet mixers for my vodka. Its all in the planning.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Jamrox said:
Am I missing something ?
We are having soup ( my family will have bread rolls but I won't).
Next course is Turkey with the trimmings , vegetables ( my family will have potatoes but ill just have a couple of roasters).
Dessert may be a problem so i'll have a taste and eat the cheese and oatcakes with grapes.
I'm type 2 and not stressing.I've got diet mixers for my vodka. Its all in the planning.

Yes, she bought mixers as well once. Normal not diet, never mentioned it. She poured me a couple of glasses, later, I went for a top up myself, found it was normal mixers. "Oh yes, I couldn't see the diet, so I got those instead"

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
It's not a problem for me/us (by the sound of it) I find control quite easy, low carbing easy, losing the weight was easy, it's everyone around me that seems to have a problem, rut roh here I go...... Your not getting the nutrition you need, your losing weight too fast it's dangerous, you can't just eat that, you can have this, whatshisname eats that all the time and he's fine, you shouldn't be exercising that much, you don't need to do the testing, your being obsessive, your letting this spoil your life, you don't look happy

All the people saying this stuff and more are living a very unhealthy life style, and then the icing on the cake excuse the pun, my wife tells me I want to do this on my own, I'm shutting everyone out, YES, GET O U T or say something encouraging lol, I feel terrific

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Lordy, what fun visiting relatives at christmas/easter/whatever is. Theres those that think its all stuff and nonsense and the others who think you are supposed to live on gruel. The real fun is when they are both in the same room at the same time.

Thinking about it, just sounds like a normal christmas to me. My late Dad who hardly ever drank himself always liked an enormous brandy and coke with breakfast on christmas day and never understood why I refused it till at least dawn had broken.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well re Christmas, I don't low carb and I am T1 but I don't eat Christmas pudding, cakes or pies because they're really not worth the hassle of calculating the extra insulin.

I love macarons , a small French size one is only about 5g of carb and they seem to be very fashionable in the UK at the moment so will be making some of these (not brilliant yet but getting better with practice).
I've found that most people only make a show of eating Christmas pudding in any case and you end up re steaming it on Boxing day. For a few years I'd eat something specially chosen for me , now I make a relatively low carb trifle and I'm not the only one who eats it in preference to the heavier puds.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask them if they would force someone with say a nut allergy to eat some nuts....thus resulting in a trip to A&E?
Then just say well I've got an allergy to sugar and high levels of carbohydrates and if you force feed me those I will end up in A&E with hyperglycemia!!
May make them all leave you to eat what you want, it's worked for me in the past. :wink:

Merry Christmas all
Angie

When I moan to my Diabetic nurse ( and I do) she says, every now and then have a treat, it won't affect your HBA1C much. Perhaps Xmas is the time to take her at her word but I feel so guilty. Going back to Balance and their recipes, do they have any idea of how it affects a T2? If anyone from the mag reads this, let us know.

Dyezeegal

I have been told to enjoy Christmas Day, one 'day off' won't hurt as long as it is just ONE DAY. Eat in moderation (don't binge and make yourself sick) but enjoy a little of whatever you fancy. That is what I was told when I went on course. I intend to do just that. Usual Christmas dinner which has always been mostly meat and veg, I shall have cranberry sauce, stuffing, one pig in a blanket, turkey (no skin), pork, apple sauce, carrots and peas and two small roast potatoes and gravy. Have had that for all my married life at Christmas and being newly diagnosed won't change that. Christmas pudding with custard made with skimned milk to follow. Salad for tea and I shall have the usual treats but much less of them. One mince pie, some chocolate and maybe a biscuit or two. Boxing day I will be 'back to normal' which means low carb and low calorie for me. Looking forward to using the left over turkey in my salad for a week or two after Christmas Day. If ever I go to a reataurant for my Christmas Dinner (we do that sometimes) I will just eat like everyone else. I have no problem with bread rolls etc, I have never been a bread fan so have no problem with ignoring it! I have given up desserts, just eat fresh fruit instead now, but on Dec 25th pud will be eaten. Happy Christmas everyone.