Restriction of Testing equipment/strips

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Aren't these problems with test strips sppalling.

I had problem with a gp in South Wales that 2 a day for a T1 was sufficient. Until my consultant wrote to him.

It makes me so mad. I really dont think the gp's are at fault... Its their budgets.... It saves their budgets, but they are unable or unwilling to see the big picture of how complications can lead to hospital admissions at a lot more expense.. ( but that cost isnt their budget!!).

Its shameful that the NHS still spends so much money on people that have abused their bodies from drugs, achohol etc but refuse basic strips to patients that need them.

Drug companies make so much money from increasing numbers of diabetics, why aren't they lowering their prices?-OTT greed for their profits..

SimonClifford

I had to explain to my GP than an insulin pump didn't automatically test & dose you with insulin which is why I needed a minimum of 5 strips a day and often more. I also explained that if he was only going to prescribe less than 200 a month, I'd be getting repeat prescriptions every 2 weeks whatever he thought I might need.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
300 a month minimum for pump users...consultants should write to gps as to the necessity of this

SimonClifford

Not forgetting the lunar-month / calendar-month game either. The GPs prescribe for a 28-day lunar-month & expect you to call off the prescriptions on a 30/31-day calendar-month basis, thereby "saving" a calendar month's worth of strips a year.
Trickery.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My chemist who I collect from just brings forward by a week every 6 months to counteract the 28 days in a month. So last month I collected on the 3rd, but they sort my scripts for me and told me to collect next one on the 21st of the same month. If you let your pharmacy deal with your repeat scripts, you shouldnt have any probs, mine are always ready before 28days...

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we had got fed up with the low fat a bit sooner we would not be in the mess we are in now, fat was never the problem......

SimonClifford

Quite right there! Glad I started eating butter & gold-top milk when they said "oh yeah, we were wrong about eggs". My quality of life is CONSIDERABLY improved!

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick update on this never ending saga.

On Monday I had my first meeting with the DN at my surgery (luckily I know her very well), she had all of my figures in front of her:

BP 136/76 (please bear in mind I am morbidly obese)
Fasting Glucose Test: 6.5
Cholesterol: 3.6
Hb1AC: 50
GTT: 11.6 - after 120 mins

She said.... wait for it - we consider these figures to be borderline or pre-diabetic! - even the Hb1AC of 50 which according to this site is 'well maintained diabetes'. The 4 weeks of anger, frustration, self loathing and judgement from other people rose up in front of my eyes. She even believes that the GTT of 11.6 was just a blip. But this has given me a wonderful opportunity to do something about it.

She has left me on the SR Metformin as an aid to weight loss and helping to keep the BG down - totally agree with this. She also knows that I am not taking the Statin and when I mentioned testing she said that for me she would only recommend I tested once a week not just because of the cost of strips but because continual testing will damage the nerves in the fingers over a period of time (it did with my Dad). I have to say I do not disagree with anything she has said. She was professional, caring and knew what she was talking about. I have a chance and I am going to take it.

I value the input and comments from others on this site about the best ways to make the changes I need, I have lost nearly 3 stone since May 2013 and know that the only way to keep this condition away from me is to do it now. I am already reducing carbs but I am not having low fat products as when they take out fat they have to preserve with something and that is normally sugar. Catch 22 again.

Please feel free to make comments, you are the best to give advice, you are living with this not your GP's etc.

I look forward to hearing from you. Now I read it over it does not look a quick message at all!

SimonClifford

Never heard or experienced nerve damage on fingers. I test 6-10 times a day on various fingers. Sensitivity still good (can pick up & handle the smallest electronic components & use the finest silk when sewing by hand - so the fingers nerves are as good as ever)
Sounds like an extreme case being used as a general excuse to me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Janz234567

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed Type 2, following a routine health check at the doctors, when my blood sugar showed at 19.4! Had had no indications /symptoms and this came as a complete shock! There was no discussion about diet/exercise and was given a prescription for metmorfin and glimepiride (without any discussion/information etc ) and an appointment with the Diabetic nurse for one months time. Left the surgery in tears, with the prospect of over a month in 'no mans land' without advice or support. Got my act together and started researching around and of course one of the first things I found were these forums from which I gained information and started my knowledge gathering! Began to feel angry about the blase way in which I felt I had been treated and so insisted on an appointment with a G.P. which I got the following week. Saw G.P. - told her that I didn't want to take medication (I hadn't started them) until I had tried with diet first (actually to quote the words on both medication, they both state that 'these have been prescribed because diet/exercise have failed!' Told the G.P. I wanted to try diet first, her response was that it was the policy of their practice to put EVERYBODY straight onto medication, even those who are pre-diabetic. Told G.P. I had been following the Newcastle Diet (found on this forum) for about a week and had borrowed a meter from a friend who has one (and whose GP practice have always readily given strips etc on prescription). I had been recording results and even though it had only been a week they were consistently between 5.4 and 9. She showed no interest whatsoever, and dismissed everything I said, insisting that I should take the medication and follow a 'healthy diet' - even though I had not been given any advice as to what a 'healthy diet' is! So I then asked if I could have a meter and she refused stating that the Trust will not allow them to be given (even though my friend is with a G.P practice in the same Trust!). She said that the meters themselves are not expensive, but the strips are very costly! The irony for me was that having been clear that I want to avoid medication unless diet fails, she promptly gave me another prescription for Statins!!

So, even though I live on a very very limited income (I made the decision to leave work as a Social worker to care for my elderly parents who are 89 and 80 and frail and I don't want them to have to go into a care home!) of carers allowance/income support which gives me a total income of just £105 per week, and have bought my own testing kit. I need to do this because it is very important for me to keep track on my bg - as of course it is for every diagnosed diabetic!! I will not be able to continue to buy my own strips though, so what I have will only keep me able to test for a fairly short period of time. I am going to see the Diabetic Nurse this week and am going to fight my corner and argue about the meters and if necessary will go through the route of complaining, both through the G.P. practice, P.A.L.S and the Trust - until I get some sort of resolution.

The reason for my rant and anger at this whole situation is that this attitude towards testing strips results in situations like Ricky - who are not going to see their G.P. in case the testing strips are stopped - which of course means that risks are increased - which is absolutely appalling! Personally, I see the testing as a vital and integral part in managing my diabetes and working towards reducing my BS through diet and exercise before I go down the meds route. Obviously if diet/exercise fails, then I would have no hesitation in going onto meds - but am not being given that opportunity!! I have always lived life with the philosophy of I would rather try and fail, than not to try and never know!! But Ricky - I am worried about you not going for checks because of the fear of testing strips being stopped - which could potentially put you at higher risk.

Incidentally, I have continued with the Newcastle Diet now for 3 weeks, have lost weight (particularly the fat around my trunk!) and my bloods remain at around 7, so even though it is early days, I am pleased with results so far. Of course, I am aware that this type of diet is not sustainable over a long period (I will do it for the 8 weeks as specified) but then I will probably go onto the low carb diet. It will be even more important then to be able to monitor my BS so I will fight them all the way!!!

In essence, I feel very strongly that this is a totally erroneous and dangerous stance being made by the NHS/Doctors as presumably a way to save money!! As far as my G.P. is concerned, my first question is whether this is a guidance from the Trust or a Directive. I am thinking it is guidance, as I know that other G.P's in the same Trust are still prescribing strips. Guidance therefore is simply that - and is interpreted differently by each GP practice. But all diabetics need to rise up and challenge if this ridiculous and potentially dangerous stance on prescribing strips is to stop!!

I was diagnosed in early December with levels of 7.5 and agreed with the practice nurse to diet for 8 weeks then have another hb1ac test to see if I have improved. I asked if I would be able to have a test kit and the nurse got one out the cupboard and gave me a prescription for 50 strips. I'm not sure if I will get any more but I am going to ask when I need them. I think it's ridiculous for some places to give them and others not.