HBC1A and Pregnancy

Luce1986

Hi,

I was diagnosed in May with T1 (huge shock at the time) but adapted pretty quickly. I recently got married and have a meeting with the preconception clinic on Friday my latest blood results show my HBC1A is 7.5% and I know it needs to be 6.1% before you can TTC. Has anyone got advise on how long this may take and how difficult it is? I am planning to cut out alcohol and also bad carbs such as white bread etc and I imagine this will make a huge difference but just wanted to know other people's experiences. Know one close to me is diabetic or trying to have a baby so a bit alone on stories and tips etc

thank you in advance

s230787

I got mine down by going low carb completely, even though I am T1 and can adjust insulin to suit. I cut down on alcohol but stuck to the odd glass of wine or vodka and diet mixer. The carbs and cals book helped at first if you haven't already seen that. I went down to about 30gs of carbs a day (low but never felt better for it)

I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant and my last HB was 4.3% which is a bit low but I've been keeping it that way for the sake of the baby, back on carbs during pregnancy but just piling in a load more insulin - i'll worry about the weight I've put back on (and the rest) once the little one is here, I'm deffo going back on low carb diet :)

Good luck with it all, it's hard work but it will be worth it in the end!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Luce1986

I used the carbs and cals app but for some reason it stopped working. I am happy to go low carb just wondered how long it takes to get it down and the doctors to say yes you can try to get pregnant. Weeks or months? My last doctor before he referred me kind of shrugged. Also about the 30grams a day how did you do that? I eat a lot of fruit and an apple alone can be 20! Thanks and congratulations on your pregnancy!

s230787

Sorry for late reply - it took a few months as I had to get into the swing of it. I replaced apples for berries and did a lot of home low carb baking (using recipes from the low carb forum on here) still had veg but the lower carb one such as mushrooms, peppers, broccoli and cauliflower (which is great to use as a mash replacement). I ate a lot of meat and cheeses and made sauces myself from cream. Found myself eating more salad too!

I'd use courgette, peeled into strips as lasagne sheets or pasta. Everything can be replaced really by a lower carb alternative :)

If I ate out I'd have mixed grill with salad or a full English type meal.

Even though on the carbs now and enjoying my food, the amount of insulin resistance I've hit is ridiculous, I'm having to get up in the night to monitor sugars whilst constantly changing my lantus week in week out - its tough but I'm so glad I gained the understanding of food before getting pregnant.

s230787

Sorry I forgot to say I didn't get doctors permission to get pregnant, I just knew in myself that it was the right time, my HBa1C was that of a none diabetic and I felt extremely healthy.

I came off the pill, stuck to low carb and within 3 months I was pregnant. At that point saw the doctor immediately and started reintroducing carbs and larger insulin doses. HBa1C is now the lowest it has ever been at 28 (I have gained a lot of weight though, I'd guess around 4 stone+ already) but I have been so careful as I don't want Diabetes affecting baby - but even at that low level I've been told baby's little tubby belly is measuring 3 weeks ahead!

Luce1986

thank you that is really helpful. The doctors were great got some good advise and a goal to work to but having to get my bloods sugars down to 7.5 1 hour after eating which means lots of insulin and then a big low an hour later (good excuse to have a healthy snack then) so doctors are hopeful my HBa1C should be below 6.1% by March! :)

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your dr won't b impressed with lows an hour after your food and insulin, means ur taking too much!! Lows r just as much a no no as highs, infact more so!! Have u considered carb counting, I'm learning it and it's fab!! ;)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

Luce1986

Your dr won't b impressed with lows an hour after your food and insulin, means ur taking too much!! Lows r just as much a no no as highs, infact more so!! Have u considered carb counting, I'm learning it and it's fab!! ;)

I know it sounds wrong but it's on the doctors advice it's to bring my blood glucose down to under 7.5 one hour after eating. I am eating healthy carbs so ones with a low GI index. And then an hour later I just have a small snack of a satsuma or yogurt and it keepse at around 5. Over the last few days my levels have been perfect. :)