Cholesterol.....

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Just got my blood results and cholesterol, as always, is a bit confusing, It's gone up from 3.35 to 4.6. But triglycerides have gone down from 0.7 to 0.5. Am I right in thinking that's the important bit? Hdl up 1.32 to 1.69 but no result of the Ldl for some reason. Any knowledge gratefully accepted!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They look pretty good to me, the trig level is excellent and the total chol:hdl ratio is 2.7 (assuming I got my sums right)

Total cholesterol is a little high but there's a lot of people who beleive the ratio is more important than the total. Mine is also 4 6 but as its a lot less than the 7+ I had before I low carbed my DN is very happy with that. my ratio is 2.9 and she is positively ecstatic with that, so she'd be over the moon with yours!

Targets I was given are:

Trigs < 1.7
Total chol < 4.0
t chol:hdl < 5.0

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is confusing yes and it does rather depend on whether it was a fasting or non fasting test. I have just had a non fasting test and have a total cholesterol of 4.6. I will have what is called a full lipid profile which includes trigs, hdl and ldl next week. I think these need to based on a fasting test.

According to the site below, your 4.6 is good for a healthy adult. I wouldn't worry if a figure goes up within a range, as long as it is within the range. If you are at risk from coronary heart disease, they like an extra bit of safety but, 2 out of 3 people in the UK are above 5.0 anyway so you are better than most. I was 1.7 for my trigs last March, a big improvement on the 5.2. Normally, the lower the better for this so yours is good.

These lipids are most usually monitored with regard to coronary health but trig levels do seem to be correlated with type 2 diabetes. I don't know about type 1. This link might help explain:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholestero ... nosis.aspx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Garr said:
Hi, Just got my blood results and cholesterol, as always, is a bit confusing, It's gone up from 3.35 to 4.6. But triglycerides have gone down from 0.7 to 0.5. Am I right in thinking that's the important bit? Hdl up 1.32 to 1.69 but no result of the Ldl for some reason. Any knowledge gratefully accepted!

These are the target cholesterol levels for people with diabetes:

Total cholesterol: under 4.0 mmol/l
LDL levels: below 2.0 mmol/l
HDL levels: at least 1.0 mmol/l (men) or 1.2 mmol/l (women)
Triglyceride levels: less than (or equal to) 1.7 mmol/l

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MY last test, taken taken during the DAFNE course was
Total >5
HDL >2.5
LDL <2

Even though the total was high, the doc said my levels were fine due to the high HDL, driven by my diet which has quite a lot of oats, good fats and proteins and moderate carbs. It seems that there is a lot of interpretation heres.