weather

susanmanley

It is windy and quite cold today and, having done my outdoor chores i am having a warm drink, yoghurt and fruit salad.
I am not warming up though

Does anyone else have trouble getting warm again after getting cold? It has been worse this winter [which has hardly started!!] than I remember since I was a child. My hands are freezing and the rest of me feels uncomfortably cold.

I have lost some weight and eat lower carb. diet so would that be the trouble or is it just my age [61] or diabetic sympton.

I am hardly thin! so have some covering and quite active [in fact only sit when on the computer or sewing [which has been hard recently because cold]

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hi Susan :)
I too have a similar problem with maintaining body heat in colder weather. I'm very active, walking at least 6 miles a day, not thin but not fat, am 68yrs old and also like you a low carber. For a couple of weeks I have been wondering if low carbing is the root cause, so will be interested to see if someone comes up with a reason for our being cold!
Geri

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Provided you don't have any circulation issues It wont be the lack of carbs, but are you eating enough fats to compensate? Although protein is very necessary for other purposes (amino acids needed to maintain lean tissue and make hormones) calories from protein are only about 70% effective as a source of energy as fat or carbs, so you probably either need to up the fats ratio, or eat more calories overall.

I used to do winter mountaineering, its pretty much one of the first things they teach you on the survival courses!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
susanmanley said:
It is windy and quite cold today and, having done my outdoor chores i am having a warm drink, yoghurt and fruit salad.
I am not warming up though

Does anyone else have trouble getting warm again after getting cold? It has been worse this winter [which has hardly started!!] than I remember since I was a child. My hands are freezing and the rest of me feels uncomfortably cold.

I have lost some weight and eat lower carb. diet so would that be the trouble or is it just my age [61] or diabetic sympton.

I am hardly thin! so have some covering and quite active [in fact only sit when on the computer or sewing [which has been hard recently because cold]

I notice the cold a lot more.
Two reasons in my case.
I have lost a lot of weight, and without the insulation I find it's a lot worse this year.

I'm also on a low calorie Mediterranean diet, and I have to be honest, I've upped the calories a bit. Cooking with olive oil, using spreads, eating cheese, didn't make a lot of difference, a few (good for me) carbs did.
I don't entirely agree with the previous poster, I've just taken up diving, and found it's a bit chilly.
They don't teach you to eat more fat, it's usually more carbs to increase the calories, and I found porridge was the thing for me.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I think age is a huge factor. While in my early 60s I could comfortably sit in a room heated to about 70-71F but now I'm 70 I need it to be around the 74-74 mark or I can get quite chilled.
Our winter fuel allowance certainly gets put to good use :thumbup:

Pompeygirl

I have lost 3 stone since being diagnosed 4 months ago and im well known for always being too warm.. Until now that is! I can never get warm and suffer from the slightest draught. I too am low carb