A New Food Insulin Index (FII)

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A slight deviation from the article but I think at some point there will be a step change in hand held technology that will help in managing diabetes.
Carb counting works I think because it's a relatively straightforward ratio calculation but with smart phones etc I'm sure things will progress to more sophisticated ways of calculating insulin.
But I suppose you will always have to assess what you're eating correctly to get a sensible dose response. And like all maths, **** numbers in **** numbers out.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There are hundreds of food and carb calculation apps already available but they are only as accurate as the numbers you put in. Unless you stick to very similar foods or weigh things a lot of meals are best guess.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not exactly rocket science though is it. Any one of us could have come to the same conclusion and come up with "insulin factors" of our own just by a little reading, and a bit of self-experimenting.

I think you'd find it hard pushed to find a T1 who doesn't know that GI, fat and protein all affect how thy respond to different amounts o carbs.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree Mo. But I wonder if technology will progress to improve how you can assess what you're eating. And maybe something that you can personalise a little better. Maybe it's wishful thinking?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Fingers crossed ! I'd love just to able to take a photo of my dinner and get carb content or insulin dose flash up on the screen ! One day maybe !

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mo1905 said:
Fingers crossed ! I'd love just to able to take a photo of my dinner and get carb content or insulin dose flash up on the screen ! One day maybe !

says Mr Steady, never had a hypo :lol:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
ElyDave said:
mo1905 said:

says Mr Steady, never had a hypo :lol:
I meant for others to use Dave ! Of course I have no use for it lol !

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You and your lack of hypos mo......

I've not been hypo in 2 days, is that just as good? haha

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
hale710 said:
You and your lack of hypos mo......

I've not been hypo in 2 days, is that just as good? haha
I'll allow that cos it was probably due to the excitement of getting engaged ! Must do better in 2014 lol ! None for 12 months for me haha !

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've mentioned this study a couple of times, the FII worked better than carb counting for lower carb ie higher protein/fat meals
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term ... ailssearch
It certainly makes sense to me that if a normal person produces a similar amount of insulin for 240 calories from cheese as 240 calories from muesli then both foods should require a similar amount of injected insulin.
Insulin index cheese: 45
Insulin index muesli: 46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index
The rub is the complexity, we're not going to get an insulin index on labels.
That's where our own experience of the foods we eat is really the most important thing.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm usually a 1 a week type of girl haha I notice at around 3.8 but according to DAFNE that's not hypo! But Monday.... After my DAFNE follow up session actually! I was 2.9 when I tested to drive home! Cue an awkward 45 minute wait in the hospital car park playing candy crush on my phone before I was confident I was fit to drive.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I felt fresh as a daisy! Very unusual for me to not feel it, but that's why the test before driving rule is there and it's why I stick to it!

AMBrennan

The index uses a formula based on 100g of food, measuring the impact over the course of 120 minutes after eating.
So it's basically an exercise in rebranding the glycemic index/glycemic load idea.

Brand-Miller says the index isn’t any more complicated than carb counting –it’s just another set of numbers to learn. If PWDs can be taught that a slice of bread is 15g of carb, then they can be taught that a similar slice of bread is worth 20 points on the index.
As long as you are happy to eat only the 130 foods listed in your book, sure. If you want to apply this to the real world then you'd have to get food manufacturers to measure this for each of their foods which seems unlikely to happen judging from the complete absence of GI/GF food labels.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mo, you make me jealous! Since reducing carbs hypos are much less frequent but for the past week I was having one or two a day even after reducing insulin. Turns out it was because a few big stress inducers were all resolved and I'm experiencing the unusual sensation of being relaxed!