Tattoo

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hello :) I'm Type2 insulin dep. Having a tattoo (just a tiny one) has been on my "things to do before I die" list for many years. Will having one shorten the amount of time I have left to fulfil my list? Any advice as to which areas of my body are safest will be much appreciated.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
As I hate tattoos I would say why not put it as the last thing on your "to do" list that way you'll have nothing left to do so it wont mater one way or the other :lol:

More seriously a small tattoo from a reputable artist shouldn't shorten you life at all unless for some reason it doesnt heal properly and an infection sets in which could cause leprosy or gangrene which although unlikely could happen but other than that I cant see why it would shorten your life.

Scarred for life yes, but not life shortening.....Just remember that tattoos are there for good and what looks fashionable now may look ridiculous in 10 years time so if you do have one done try to think of something personal, that means something to you. something that will still mean the same in years to come :)

Follow the tattooists advice after getting your scar and you should be quite safe :lol:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happens_ ... new_tattoo

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I had a tattoo, (small butterfly on my back) some years ago. I didn't realise that you bleed a little after, and was shocked when I removed the dressing to see the butterfly in blood on it !

I didn't have any major problems at all, just be careful as Sid says and do as the artist tells you.

Good luck :wave:

hunxstar

Hello,

I am planning to get another tattoo soon, but since my diagnosis, I have to ask my friend diabetes first, like everything else. Please make sure your A1c is at acceptable levels, and possibly check with your GP first. Size of tat does not matter, it's your healing capabilities that do. Please remember that it is essentially a wound, and there will be initial bleeding, and like any wound needs to be treated as such.
I have also read somewhere that some tattooists will not tattoo some people if they cannot prove that they are in good health (they have their license to protect I guess), so please do some thorough research before you get one. Perhaps call your prospective tattooists and ask for more information. Good tattooists will be helpful and informative, so if you are not sure, visit the parlour, ask questions, check their licenses and certificates (usually displayed somewhere on the walls), and tell them what risks might be involved as you are a diabetic.

I have promised my self my next tat as a reward for reigning my stupidly high numbers since diagnosis, so I have to wait till my next A1C results, but this gives me time to plan the design of my tat and find a reputable place to get it done.
Getting a tat does not shorten your life. If this was the case, I and MANY people out there should have died 10 times over by now.

BTW, I don't think that leprosy is a risk factor when getting a tattoo. Nor is gangrene. If these are true risk factors, perhaps reconsider the person who is tattooing you. Having been inked in different countries and several times over, I think that if you take your time, (don't be impulsive about that Daffy Duck tat!) do research, find a reputable tattoist, then there are very low risk factors involved, diabetic or not.

Please also bear in mind that tattoos are for life, not just for Christmas, so plan wisely, but if it all goes horribly wrong, you can get it removed by laser treatment. This is safe, painless and non-scarring but can be expensive. So you don't have to live with it forever any more, but of course if you are going to get one, then I assume you have no plans to get rid of it!

I hope this helpful, good luck!

hunxstar

Sorry Beachbag, forgot to say:

location of tat is up to you, but bear in mind that ones 'on the bone' (ankle, shoulder blade, wrist) can be more painful when getting it because it is so close to the bone, I suppose it depends on your design, whether you want to show it off or not, and of course the size. For example, my first tat back years ago was a little flower on my left hip, discreet and small, cos I wanted to see how got on with the whole process. As all my tats have a personal meaning for me, I have none on my arms and legs. If you google diabetic tattoos, and go to images, there are a lot of ideas out there- again, before you get inked, your tattoist should be able to help you with your final design, and perhaps find the best location for you.
HTH

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
:) Thanks everyone! Plenty of very useful info there for me to digest (low carb too!). I think the most important is for my HbA1c to be nice and low so will have to wait a while. I know of a couple of highly reputable tat artists local to me, so np there. I only want a little bee or ladybird or possibly a dragonfly, all of which signify my love of wildlife... I love tigers and snakes etc but one of those on my back might be pushing it a bit too far! Area to be decided as and when. Will start a "saving up for tattoo" money box. Take care people x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mimo

If it's your first tattoo I would recommend getting it done where only you can see it. By this I mean on your back. I had my first three on my back and only braved getting ones on my feet a few years ago. After my Grandmother had one of her legs amputated due to diabetes I wanted to make the most of mine while I had them and decorate them. Silly as it may sound.
Just make sure it's a picture that you could live with for a long time too. I have no regrets with all 5 of mine and some day will have more when the feeling takes me.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
:) Thank you for your good advice Mimo. It will be my first and probably only, tattoo! Site, yet to be decided, lol. It's on my " things to do before" list and I'm hoping to get it by next summer.

Toriana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people, Liars, And people who think diabetes type 2 is not serious and that it's because we eat cake and chips !
Hi, I had a small tattoo on my hand just over three weeks ago, usually I heal really quickly and have no problems but this is my first since being diagnosed and I've got to say it's only just started to heal . So yes please be careful and keep it clean and moisturised ,

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1387137591.846707.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1387137591.846707.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 370

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Toriana... Thank you, that's a very pretty tattoo. Do you think the location had anything to do with it taking longer to heal?

Toriana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people, Liars, And people who think diabetes type 2 is not serious and that it's because we eat cake and chips !
Hi Beachbag,
Yes it's really cute isn't it ?
I'm not sure, it's the first one I've had on my hand, but it's very slowly healing, maybe our hands and feet don't like having tattoos , I'm a bit nervous now though as I've been having laser treatment to remove some very unsightly tattoos from my forearms, I have had 5 treatments but none since January coz mum got put into hospital and I just couldn't find the time for more treatments but now I'm unsure about having anymore sessions as they really really hurt and blister up and I'm worried they may not heal as well, I think I'll have a chat with the doc, feel awful keep goin and asking her questions tho lol xx

mimo

My right foot took a long time to heal but I wasn't diagnosed as Type 2 then so looking back that makes sense as to why it didn't.
My left foot healed well but slowly. At the time my meds were helping me keep good BG levels. I think that is the key when getting one. Make sure your levels are ok. Also make sure you eat before you have it done as the tattooing can lower your levels. Or take something with you to eat and let the tattooist know.

Reactions: 2 people

Toriana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Mimo, They're Lovely ! X

Toriana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lol! I know but I'm not going for any more until these awful ones have been removed from my fore arms , Still haven't checked with dr if it's ok to carry on the sessions but another 5 should do it as they're really fading away . Trouble is my sister wants another one and I always end up getting one when I'm with her !
Are you thinking of having another ? X

mimo

I would like to get more done on my feet. Wouldn't choose my arms as I work signing for deaf children so need to keep them clear. Also thought of more on my back but at the moment no money to do it. Boo hoo!!!

Toriana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think they're lovely on feet but mine are always sooo cold they'd have to tattoo through my fluffy socks lol ! I'd live to see what sort of designs you're thinking of for your back when you decide to go for it , xxxx