Red blotches

A

adrianF

Hi,

I've had these extremely itchy and sore red blotches on my right lower leg and I'm just wondering if it's diabetes related. Has anybody else experienced the same thing? Thanks :)

Reactions: 2 people

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Unlikely to be diabetes related, I would think. Go see your GP. There's something called "lichen planus" but I can't remember whether that's itchy. It could even be insect bites - shouldn't be at this season, but it's been so warm! :shock:

I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Viv 8)

Edit: just seen your other post - as you live in Indonesia, insects would have been the first thing I thought of! See your doctor anyway, just to be sure. V :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Horrid though it seems, if you have cats and carpets, this is the late part of the flea season. I have cats, but no carpets and I regularly de-flea the pussies, but Ihave been bitten in the past and they are the itchiest thing out there.
Hana

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im male 64 years old type 1 diabetic, for 12months. yes ive red blotches on my right ankle and leg area and on my lower left leg theres no pain im certain there linked to diabetes

A

adrianF

Hi spaceman,

the red blotches on my lower right leg seem to go from a bright red to a pale red colour and vice-versa. There's no severe pain as such just can't stop scratching.

Reactions: 2 people

Shetland-Mal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
I ave these on both shins and they itch and hurt so bad at times they almost drive me mad :evil: They are excema caused by our diabetes :D Get some E45 cream on them, doesn't cure it but it help.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shetland-Mal said:
I ave these on both shins and they itch and hurt so bad at times they almost drive me mad :evil: They are excema caused by our diabetes :D Get some E45 cream on them, doesn't cure it but it help.

This may sound like an oddball suggestion (and I'm merely throwing it into the conversation for what it's worth) but for the past 4 or 5 years, every autumn, just as the cold weather arrives, both my shins get red speckles on the skin (that's the only way I can describe it, it's like a rash but not quite) which then itch like blazes, and that carries on until spring, when it all disappears completely. In the past, I've tried all sorts of cream, including E45 and even anti-fungal, without success.

This year, I got to thinking about it and wondered if the weather had something to do with it. Then I thought about chilblains my mother used to go on about and the skin condition my granny used to get if she sat too long in front of her coal fire.

The only thing I could think that is different in autumn through to early spring is that, for 2 hours each day, I travel in to work and back again with the car heater blowing across both legs, mainly over my shins. The problem started again this year in late October but 3 weeks ago, following my idea, I switched the heater away from my legs and the 'rash' and itching quickly disappeared.

I'm not saying it's the cause of your issues (it may not even turn out to be the cause of mine) but, as I said earlier, I thought it was worth a mention.

A

adrianF

Well, it looks as if the red blotches that I have on my lower right leg could be related to Lipodermatosclerosis. This condition refers to skin change on the lower legs and mainly effects middle-aged people. A couple of characteristics that resemble mine are increased pigmentation / redness and the effected area is tender and warm.

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
hi adrian iam currently taking novorapid and lantus and i have had red lumps on the right hand side of my anklearea soon after i started on tha lantus and have recently have them in the creases of my elbow i also think its a reaction from my insulin

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I too have lipodermatasclerosis on my left lower leg, following a bad fall in my mid-twenties, and two bouts of thrombophlebitis/cellulitis in my fifties. I have skin discolouration on both shins but that is more brown than red. The left leg gets redder and warmer if things flare up, but seldom itches. The right leg is just brown; it doesn't get excited about anything. The brown on both legs developed from about 40 years old.

My father had brown skin on both shins & lower legs, but his never itched. I think some of mine is hereditary.

I regularly use lots of moisturiser on both lower legs, and I have Fucibet cream for when the left leg starts to flare up. I also do foot exercises to keep the circulation going (raise foot and point toe; rotate left for a count of 30, right for a count of thirty, then move up and down, still pointing the toe, for another count of thirty. Do this as often as you remember). The massage than comes with the moisturising helps the circulation as well. Us diabetics have to be particularly careful of the thin skin on our shins ;).

Cellulitis is red, hot and very itchy. If that comes back I wrap a pack of frozen peas in a tea-towel to use as an ice-pack, and apply the Fucibet diligently! I usually go to the GP as well, just to be on the safe side. Now I've developed Type 2 I'd be even more sure to visit the GP.

Don't frighten yourself too much by Googling lipodermatosclerosis. I have no intention of developing "beer bottle legs" - and anyway, my second favourite GP doesn't think I have it :rolleyes:.

Viv :cool:

PS Have you recently bought a new pair of trousers in a different material? I have to stick to cotton - polyester doesn't suit my shin at all.