What's the best way to bring up low blood

pipwizard

Ok what's the best food or sweetie as at the mo my bloods are sometimes low with gliclazide . I have bread or jelly beans is that the best and quickest

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: What's the best way to bring up low blood

Depends on levels, can feel low when not, always test. if using blood lowering meds not too sure of the protocol. Using insulin, if below 4, I usually have a few sips of lucozade as it has dexrose, very fast acting, followed by something longer acting around 10~15 carbs. If 4mmol ish will just have a 15~20 carb snack. Also depends when next meal is as to the snack size, longer away the meal the bigger the snack.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

pipwizard said:
Ok what's the best food or sweetie as at the mo my bloods are sometimes low with gliclazide . I have bread or jelly beans is that the best and quickest

It's far better to reduce the meds, rather than to eat sugar.
Go back to your GP with your meter readings, and ask them to review your medication.

pipwizard

Thing is it was ok for four weeks then last two nights it's gone down to 4.2 and 5.3 thats too low for me I'm type 2

pipwizard

Thing is it was ok for four weeks then last two nights it's gone down to 4.2 and 5.3 thats too low for me I'm type 2

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

i really dont get it... what douglas said seems to me to make sense, why use meds to lower bloods only to eat sugar to raise it? sorry if im being ignorant here, and i thought having bgs permanently over 6 was causing complications? but the doc is saying stay at least at 7? confusing :think:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Andy12345 said:
i really dont get it... what douglas said seems to me to make sense, why use meds to lower bloods only to eat sugar to raise it? sorry if im being ignorant here, and i thought having bgs permanently over 6 was causing complications? but the doc is saying stay at least at 7? confusing :think:

I agree. Lower the meds should be 1st option rather than having to take rapid acting carbs. Keep a record of all BG readings and take to your doc.

K

Kat100

Yes my gp likes me to be no lower 6.5 or in the 7' s for a type two, you need to keep things in control and not let your body go to low, because you can go hypo on metformin. Or your bg can just drop anyway and that is dangerous,T2 on meds, I have kept my last 2 hba1c test at 6.5 and 6.1 I know when I am not well and need a bit of sugar or carb , it' seems a lot of balancing with the bodies needs, nice to have a well day, but this is not always the case....it is hard to understand.....

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Agree, best to lower meds if poss but wouldn't suggest that without knowing more info. If it continues to happen yes, discuss with gp/dsn with a view to lowering meds. If it is a rarity due to unplanned activity, or just one of them one off things then reducing meds could result in sustained highs.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

brett said:
Agree, best to lower meds if poss but wouldn't suggest that without knowing more info. If it continues to happen yes, discuss with gp/dsn with a view to lowering meds. If it is a rarity due to unplanned activity, or just one of them one off things then reducing meds could result in sustained highs.

I'd always suggest lowering these meds if, and only if, the GP is onboard.
T2 on gliclazide means the pancreatic beta-cells are stimulated continuously. And as they're alleged suffer burn out eventually, less meds are a good thing here.
It's always a balancing act, but less bad sugars are my preferred route, rather than meds.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

so it is dangerous in your doctors opinion to go below 6.5 on a finger prick test whilst on metformin, why? i dont know anything about other meds but unless you actually suffer hypos i was under the impression that the lower your bg the better?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. I agree with the other posters that it is much better to reduce the Gliclazide rather than try to add carbs to compensate. There's no point in taking more meds than needed. You can get 40mg tablets for Glic which some GPs aren't aware of so you can fine tune with these. Glic lasts up to 10 hours roughly in the body if that's any help but it tails off during that time.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Andy12345 said:
so it is dangerous in your doctors opinion to go below 6.5 on a finger prick test whilst on metformin, why? i dont know anything about other meds but unless you actually suffer hypos i was under the impression that the lower your bg the better?
Metformin is different to Gliclazide Andy. Metformin only, those numbers are great. Gliclazide will lower BG levels though. Need to be a little more careful. Obviously I would not suggest the OP just lowers meds without consultation with doc. Just need to record levels for a few days as 2 lows are not enough reason in my opinion. Need more of a trend.

bumbles1952

I take 80mg Gliclazide and 2000mg metformin. My latest Hba1c was 41 and Random Glucose 4.0 (I was 117 at diagnosis in Feb 13) As I have had a few readings less than 4 the DN (herself a diabetic) has suggested that I experiment myself with the gliclazide trying half a tablet instead of a full one, monitoring 2 hrs after food. I take gliclazide with my main meal, (Can be lunch or dinner) I have got to the position now that I adjust the dose ie half or full tablet to suit the amount and type of carb in my meal. This approach is working really well for me at present. I control 4 - 7 fasting and 8.5 max 2hrs after food. She also advised 3/4 haribou sweets for bringing up low bg.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Pipwizard,
As you say, you have only been on Gliclazide a couple of weeks, and it may be that your GP wants you to be cautious about your BGs until you are stabilised om the new meds, as the Glic does have a ~10 hr window of effectiveness. What I would do is:
1) Find something that you feel confortable with to boost your BGs (I loved Jelly Beans!) short term and :
2) Examine your BG pattern to find what causes your BG up/dows and try to lessen the fluctuations.
3) When you stabilise discuss tapering off your meds and slightly lowering your BGs to ~6 away from the post meal periods.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
100ml Lucozade and a 10g carbogydrate biscuit or a small banana instead of the biscuit. This way you BG rises quick and stabilises. Over treating a hypo with too much glucose is not good..