Xylitol

dizee1951

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
arrogant people
I would like to know if anyone has tried baking using Xylitol?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
yes i did on sunday i baked a flourless orange cake subing the sugar with xyitol . and cookies bu5t with stevia all tasted good but i think next time id reduce the quantity as is was sweet and bit overpowering what are you planning on using it for?

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Hi, yes I bake with xylitol, can be very sweet, but it works for me......Kat x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im sure its just me but, it tastes like soap, especially eating it the next day after making whatever it is, ive given up on it

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I bake with xylitol and I think its the best sugar substitute you can find

AdamF

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes i did on sunday i baked a flourless orange cake subing the sugar with xyitol . and cookies bu5t with stevia all tasted good but i think next time id reduce the quantity as is was sweet and bit overpowering what are you planning on using it for?

How do you make a flourless cake?

And do you find that the xylitol has any effect on BG?

dizee1951

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
arrogant people
Thankyou so much for all your replies and am loving the diabetesgoodbaking.com site thank you :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i just made ewelinas lemon cake (again) for the base for my low carb trifle and boy o boy its unbelievable, its almost a shame to put it in the trifle but hey ho i had a couple of slices over, yum ;)

Reactions: 4 people

dizee1951

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
arrogant people
Hi Cath
I haven't decided what to make but just wanted to know what peoples experience of using it were as I had googled Xylitol and thought it was a good sugar substitute for baking and maybe adjusting normal recipes to replace sugar.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i just made ewelinas lemon cake (again) for the base for my low carb trifle and boy o boy its unbelievable, its almost a shame to put it in the trifle but hey ho i had a couple of slices over, yum ;)

Andy the lemon cake sounds great. I have done a search for it but can't find the recipe. Would you be able to post a link for it? thanks

am now off to look for the trifle recipe (I bought some sugar free jelly the other day!)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Andy the lemon cake sounds great. I have done a search for it but can't find the recipe. Would you be able to post a link for it? thanks

am now off to look for the trifle recipe (I bought some sugar free jelly the other day!)

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/search/label/Lemon

this is an experiment but its going well so far, its a recipe from a dear friend im sure they wont mind me sharing....

basically make the lemon cake then cut it up and put it in the bottom of your trifle bowl, then put fruit ontop (mixed berries ive used) then pour over sugar free jelly (i used strawberry) then make low carb custard, then whip cream and im going to add some flaked almonds

so far its massive, im at the chilling the jelly/fruit/base stage, im now going to attempt the custard,

custard link

ps as advise i didnt add the salt, ill taste test it and put in a pinch if i think it needs it

Reactions: 4 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Andy for a brilliant idea! I think I will add it to my christmas menu. ive already got few cakes on my list but it will be nice to make some english dessert for my polish family

Reactions: 3 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Andy. I am going to be busy - I want to make chocolate truffles too.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Just reading this on Xylitol and am not a cook, hub does that but l am a VN ... please don't let your pets eat anything with xylitol in it is very toxic to them.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
please don't let your pets eat anything with xylitol in it is very toxic to them.

Thats true. Xylitol is poisonous for dogs (any pet i guess) even is small quantities