Low carb foods online

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
ooooooooooooooooh that is GREAT to know ... as I find the delivery charges of most online retailers just ludicrous ... thanks babe! xx

Jo123

wiflib said:
Hi Jem.

I have also found LIZI's in a large tescos.

wiflib

Thanks so much, found it today tucked away with all the pulses, not with the ordinary breakfast mueslis! I cannot wait to try some, got my soya milk and some single cream ready :D :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've also found it on the shelves with the speciality items such as gluten free and the posh stuff. Most supermarkets seem to have such a selection now.

wiflib

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
as soon as my hub gives me back my car (his is broken so which one of us gets to go without? hmmm? yep) I am off to TEsco to hunt Lizi down! cheers!

Jem

Dislikes
The results of the dreamfields pasta experiment - just in!

ACE - had the 2 ounce serving (as recommended on box) of PENNE variety and it was not only very tasty but also very filling ... just enough bite to be truly satisfying :) but without that "did I eat the box" texture that sometimes happens with "altered" foods.

and the BG at 2 hours PP?

5.8 ... again - very impressed :)

will try the lasagne next time :) xxx

wallycorker

Jem said:
Hiya hun, well done on finding a forum like this for support, you'll find loads of helpful and nice people AND lots of recipes and useful info :)

The granola I tried (which to me is similar to the sugary "crunch" cereals I used to eat) is:

LIZI'S GRANOLA CRUNCH in Belgian Chocolate

a 50 gramme bag looked pretty small in the bowl but being as it had been suggested on another site that you should only eat half a bag *GASP* I tried the 50 gramme bag with some greek yoghurt and thick cream and it was utterly delicious!

It's made by the GOOD CARB COMPANY and I bought mine online the Low Carb Megastore ... it's usually quite expensive so it was a treat for me, considering I haven't had any kind of breakfast cereal in over 4 months!!!

The pack contains 234 calories, 21.2 CHO (carbohydrate grammes) which is double the carbs I would normally consume in one sitting, however as the granola contains good seeds and oats as well as ground nuts I thought it was worth a shot) and it says on the packet that the effect of eating the packet would be the same as eating 5.5 grammes of glucose carbs, so I thought one packet was worth an experiment ... very worthwhile for me cos it was lovely and my 2 hour pp bg (after eating) was lower than my bg before!

Enjoy :)

xxx

oh and welcome :)

Jem - I found Lizi's granola myself almost by accident in Tesco special foods section. In my case, the organic version.

I'm a Type 2 on metformin and diet only. My blood glucose readings shoot up to 10+ when I eat carbohydrate for breakfast - cereals such as porridge, Weetabix, Shredded Wheat - All-Bran is almost as bad. Bread does much the same.

I tried the granola after having it in the cupboard for a while and it seems to have only a minimal effect on my blood glucose levels. For example:

4.8 before breakfast (on rising)
50g Granola, with skimmed milk
7.2 - 60 mins after eating
7.2 - 90 mins after eating
5.3 - 120 mins after eating

4.7 before breakfast (on rising)
50g Granola, with skimmed milk
4.9 - 60 mins after eating

5.2 before breakfast (on rising)
50g Granola, dried goji berries (5g), with skimmed milk
6.8 - 60 mins after eating
6.8 - 90 mins after eating
7.1 - 120 mins after eating

4.7 before breakfast (on rising)
50g Granola, dried goji berries (5g), with soya milk
5.9 - 60 mins after eating
6.8 - 90 mins after eating
6.8 - 120 mins after eating

It certainly looks as though I'll be buying this product again.