Kidney function test

Nik442

Hi all,

My latest review showed the result for GFR (kidney function) has been falling from high 70s to where it is now, high 50s, in about 18 months.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks
Nik

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi all,

My latest review showed the result for GFR (kidney function) has been falling from high 70s to where it is now, high 50s, in about 18 months.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks
Nik

90 is normal

below 60 according to NICE is stage 3, i think at stage 3 they will look at it, I'm egfr 60 and they won't look at it until it gets worse, lol isn't that great, id ask your gp for advice, I'm not sure how you eat but when i researched this, the low carb method i was already doing seemed to be the way forward, as i was already doing this I'm just carrying on as normal, i just try not to protein load as this didn't sound like a good idea for CKD

best of luck

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Me too-mine was picked up at a level in the 40's with a fair bit of protein in the urine,I was put on the maximum dose of Ramipril and I'm monitored every 3 months,it's increased into the 50's now but I'm not too chuffed to have a level like that still at 37 years old but getting answers out of HCP's is like getting blood out of a stone which sucks TBH.

Nik442

Thanks for the replies.

I follow a low carb diet too. They've asked me to go back for a second test early in the New Year.

Re protein: sounds like I might need a kidney friendly diet too.

Nik

Adele99

GP decided to tell me last month my GFR rate dropped below 60 at the beginning of the year, and has stayed around 55 over the past year. I have quite a few blood tests done due to anaemia, low ferritin and low blood sodium. He checked my blood pressure, said it's fine so no need to change from Perinodopril. Told me it's nothing to be concerned about .

collectingrocks

High blood pressure and diabetes are major risk factors for ESRD. Where GP's should be practising preventative medicine, it's a real shame nothing gets done until Stage 3 or 4 where by then, it's too late. See if you can work on getting your blood pressure down

Nik442

What's surprised me is how quickly my GFR number has dropped and the fact my last three HBA1C results were 7.3, 6.3 and 5.8. I'm a skinny type 2 with excellent blood pressure. I'll do the retest and see where we go from there - probably more monitoring I would imagine.
Nik

K

Kat100

I just got my results fasting bloods show 54 CKD stage 3
I am really scarred bloods in about 4 weeks non fasting this time, gp says that may make a difference, but I remain worried and so very very tired, any thoughts are welcome......what had happened and do fast......thanks Kat x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i know this can be reversed, i know someone here that has done it, best wishes

Reactions: 3 people

Adele99

I just got my results fasting bloods show 54 CKD stage 3
I am really scarred bloods in about 4 weeks non fasting this time, gp says that may make a difference, but I remain worried and so very very tired, any thoughts are welcome......what had happened and do fast......thanks Kat x

Early stage 3 according to my GP isn't of any great concern, so try not to get too worried. Most important things eems to be keeping your blood pressure under control and monitoring some of your bloods eg potassium sodium etc.

With you being so tired, have you been checked for anemia? Can make you tired and fatigued. Sometimes GP don't tell you if it's not too far under what they class as mild eg around 11 or 10.5, but even that level can cause fatigue depending on how good your health and circulation is.

Reactions: Rich92

Nik442

I had my repeat GFR test at the end of last week - I await the result. DN said she was being ultra cautious with me. However, it has made me even more determined to keep my HBA1C within non-diabetic range. I do test BS now and again and I do have spikes.

Nik

C

catherinecherub

Reactions: 2 people

Nik442

This Questions and Answers article from National Kidney Foundation about GFR estimates may answer some of your queries.

http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kls/pdf/12-10-4004_KBB_FAQs_AboutGFR-1.pdf

It is essential to keep up your fluid intake so that the kidneys are in better working order.

This article about kidney stones shows that we must never get dehydrated.

http://www.kidney.org/news/monthly/Crush_those_Kidney_Stones.cfm?homestatic=CrushedStones

Thanks very much for the links - looks like interesting sunday afternoon reading. I was diagnosed with a very high HBA1C so I assume my body has been dumping lots of sugar in my urine and this has eventually given way to a lowered GFR. I'm hoping that as my last HBA1C result was 5.8 it will level out.

Nik

Nik442

I got my GFR result back today and it was satisfactory with no further action required. I didnt do anything different for the repeat so all a bit odd really although as was explained to me today it is an estimate. Very relieved it was good news though.

Nik

Reactions: 2 people