Does anyone know a good Prawn curry recipe for diabetics and coeliacs - gluten free?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am T2, my daughter and two small grandchildren are wheat and gluten intolerant, little one also dairy intolerant so looking at using coconut milk? I would love to make prawn curry when they come for dinner on New Year's Day. Big ask I know :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WhitbyJet

Here you go:
80ml Coconut Cream
25g ghee or butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ tsp black pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 kg raw prawns, peeled
1 large can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp chopped green chili
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
6 whole cardamom pods, lightly crushed to split open
1 cinnamon stick
1 chicken stock cube - use Kallo if you can

Melt ghee/butter, cook the onions until golden, add garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add pepper, cumin, and turmeric, cinnamon stick and cardamom, cook for another couple of minutes.
Add prawns and tomatoes and stock cube to the pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Stir in the coconut cream and add chili. Season with salt and stir in the coriander.

Enjoy - I serve it with cauliflower pilau rice and a low carb flat bread.

Reactions: 5 people

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Superb -thanks so much Whitby - Merry Christmas to you

HpprKM

Dislikes
Cauliflower pilau rice? Is there a recipe or just rice mixed with cauli? May sound a dumb question but does sound interesting!

WhitbyJet

Cauliflower Pilau Rice
to go with Indian curries

Melt a ghee or butter in a pan, add half a finely chopped onion, 3 cardamom pods, slightly bruised, 3 whole cloves, piece of cassia or cinnamon bark, a bay leaf and fry on low heat until the onion begins to take on a little bit of colour, but dont brown it, just slightly golden. Turn off the heat, cover and leave to infuse.

Grate cauliflower into rice, put into microwavable dish, dont add water, but just cook on high for 5 - 6 minutes. Add to the pan with the onion/spice mix and stir through.

It really is delicious and has fooled quite a few people into thinking is real rice.

All the best to you and yours, have a woderful Christmas x x

HpprKM

Dislikes
Sorry didn't get back - had bad eye and 3 hospital visits over Christmas. Thanks for reply :) Happy New Year to you and yours

HpprKM

Dislikes

HpprKM

Dislikes
Hi Whitby Jet - simply have to say it was a wonderful success, if I say it myself it was delicious. Thank you so much for this - the children loved it and I thought my son in law would eat the plate - he wiped it totally clean with his bread. I trust you have shared in the recipe section. Happy New Year.