Metformin!!

dumpy222

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok could it really be that six days in and my Metformin is starting to work!! I seem to have some energy back at last and haven't had any strange vile turns for a couple of days Yay :)

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
Well done you, It does take a while to work. but I find it wonderful, I know not all on here get on with it, but I can assure you I have not had any complications :clown:

Reactions: 2 people

dumpy222

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still having the usual stomach upset but it's easing off and if I feel better as I do a bit I can cope with that!! Also lost 3lb 9oz in a week just by cutting out sugar bread and pasta so all in all I'm happy lol

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
Well done you :cool: It is a long road, but to be totally honest I am felling better now than I have done for years. Yes it is hard, yes we all "burn out" now and again, but I would not go back to how I was w few months before I was diagnosed, You are certainly with the right group of people for support here :p

ben39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still having the usual stomach upset but it's easing off and if I feel better as I do a bit I can cope with that!! Also lost 3lb 9oz in a week just by cutting out sugar bread and pasta so all in all I'm happy lol
How do you fill up without bread? What do you eat instead, I eat lots of sandwiches and my level every morning after fasting is average 7 mmol/ and i can't get it lower

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
How do you fill up without bread? What do you eat instead, I eat lots of sandwiches and my level every morning after fasting is average 7 mmol/ and i can't get it lower
Hello Ben.
I am not surprised your morning average is high if you eat a lot of bread. Although there is a thing called the "dawn effect" that is covered in a lot of detail on this site ( I would urge you to look at it) any bread you eat will have a fairly high carb. and carbs = glucagen, You need to think about your diet, There are many on here that advocate a low carb diet, this does not suit everyone, So you need to do some research, including testing your blood just before you eat and again about 2 hours after. We are all different, but I would urge you to research on here about a more beneficial diet for yourself ;)

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only

Eat more of what's in the sandwiches, and less or none of the bread. You're not trying to stuff a sock you're trying to get enough nutrients to live and thrive.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you fill up without bread? What do you eat instead

There are lots of alternatives ..... vegetables - made into soups/stews etc. with a meat stock, cheese (great IMHO with Ryvita), salads. Then there are the bulky but low carb variations of the foods we miss - cauliflower mash, swede mash etc. There are plenty of others on this site, if you search the threads for them.

You could also try filling-up by drinking more water, both with and between meals. Cheap, readily available, no prep required, with zero cals and other +ve health effects too. Works OK for me.

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
You could also try filling-up by drinking more water, both with and between meals. Cheap, readily available, no prep required, with zero cals and other +ve health effects too. Works OK for me.[/quote]
Water also carries a fitness element. You have to keep getting up to go to the loo :wacky:

dumpy222

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
quote="ben39uk, post: 454840, member: 51350"]How do you fill up without bread? What do you eat instead, I eat lots of sandwiches and my level every morning after fasting is average 7 mmol/ and i can't get it lower[/quote]

Hi I don't eat bread or pasta now as a rule and have took sugar out of my drinks and switched to diet or non sugar drinks! I'm still eating potatoes although crossed out crisps

ben39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Folks lots of idea's for me to think about, Thank you for all the replies my new years is to cut bread and reduce potato not sure if Ryvita can be substituted for bread as I quite like that in moderation. Happy new year to All

johnco

If you test after a sandwich, you will be able to find out just how it affects your BC levels! You will probably be surprised! Have your bread with healthy fat and protein to slow the rise. I can eat 2 thick slices of Greggs `bloomer` and not go above 8mmol..