Compare BG monitors

glennd11

Hi, I have been using the Accu Check Aviva for the past couple of weeks to test my BG levels but due to the expense of the strips i have just got an SD code free machine. I done a finger prick test on both machines and got a difference of 1.8 mmol/l

Aviva = 9.5 mmol/l
SD = 7.7 mmol/l

In your opinions which do you consider more accurate ?

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
I just tend to use my Contour next usd, I have had it for about 5 months now, and the average reading I get is the same as my HBA1c, So it might be out a bit, but the overall reading is sound :cool:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
tbh, I'd wash my hands and test both again.

Was the first test the same finger prick, and the same drop of blood?

If not get a bigger drop next time, and use the same drop.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I can get wildly differing results too. I have my suspicions about the SD Code free because it's cheap. But I cant afford to run anything else.

However I can get differing results from differing fingers, so I just have to use it a a rough guide and hope for the best

I like Douglas's idea of using the same drop on two different meters and I would be interested to hear the results if you do that.

Cara

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Make up a glucose solution and compare meters with that ?

7 mmol/litre is 1.26 grams per litre

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Now you mention it, every meter I've had came with a calibration solution, and most manufacturers websites list them as freebies.

Reactions: 2 people

jopar

There is always some variability with any meter you are using, test the same spot of blood with the same meter and you still likely to get a different reading.. There is a permitted 20% tolerance on accuracy on meters.

Now that I use a combi insulin pump, my blood glucose meter is also my remote for the pump, but prior to this I only every used one meter for testing, I always have an emergency back up meter just in case my main breaks. But sticking to one meter you got consistency with your readings.

What I used to do if my meter broke, is get a replacement the check out the readings for both meter, the one that gave the higher reading used to go for my back up meter..

Reactions: 2 people

glennd11

tbh, I'd wash my hands and test both again.

Was the first test the same finger prick, and the same drop of blood?

If not get a bigger drop next time, and use the same drop.

Hi douglas, yes same finger prick same blood.
I know there is a certain percentage in accuracy just wandering which machines overall give the more accurate readings.

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The variability may occur within units of one type as well as between types of meter. The only way is to compare your meter(s) against a reference solution.

I've read meter tests on the web but they usually compare one of each of 4 different meters with a large number of blood samples against a lab analysis.

iHs

I do think that the Accu chek meters tend to give a higher bg reading than most of the other leading brands but none of them are 100% accurate so stay with a brand of teststrip that demands a small blood sample and for those who need to purchase a bg meter and strips themselves, then the SD Codefree is very good value for money and should enable most diabetics to stay well.