Diet browsing

A

AnnieC

Well I think internet browsing on diet just gets more and more confusing especially about low carb diets most of what is on there is about the quick fix short term programme for weight loss like the Atkins diet and that it was just a side effect of them when it was found they actually lowered BG hence going on to being used by many diabetics but there is still a lot of controversy about that there does not seem to be any agreement if it is good or bad so much said on both sides

Anyway I have decided that as I am a prediabetic just a degree away from T2 and looking for a diet more suited to me that low carb is really not the one for me at the present time I am to skinny as it is and don't want to loose any more but big respect for those who do it. From what I have read about diets on here I am really leaning more towards the mediterranean type diet but cutting out pasta and rice which I don't like much anyway but having small amounts of starchy food like wholemeal bread and small new potatoes which I love and eating more oily fish and plenty of tomatoes... I eat loads of those already... and continuing wth lots of the leafy greens and fruit which I eat now and see how that goes

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
in the same way low carbers can be considered over powering towards their chosen route, anti low carbers can be just as over powering, you have to be careful which ever way you go i suppose, but im definately getting the anti vibe annie :( can we not just agree that all diets will work for some? lchf isnt a bad thing no more than whatever your choice is, it would be a shame to try and put people off trying things, especially something that has helped so many, i only see controversy from people deciding its contraversial, just an opinion no offense intended

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Seemed a perfectly reasonable post.
"big respect for those who do it."

Nothing anti low carb in it towards those that want to do it.

But it is a short term weight loss diet.
There is no agreement about whether or not a long term low carb diet is good or bad.
The op is prediabetic, and skinny. If they have decided a Mediterranean balanced diet will suite them, and it's a diet they can maintain, with continuing medical support and continued testing, it's a good enough option for them .

I have looked at the same diets, and come to the same conclusions. It's an option that doesn't suite everyone, but I know where my bloods are, they're tested by myself daily, by my gp every three months, and if I ever do get to the stage where I need to eat fewer carbs, I'm sure I will go down that route.
But it isn't my first choice, as like the op, I believe it's more unknown as to risk, particularly as high saturated fat is still something I'll want to avoid even then based on current medical opinion.
But at the moment, I can process the carbs I do eat, and my body is evolved to run of them, in limited quantity maybe, but it still needs them. So low GI/GL and a good healthy diet is a viable option for me as well.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ive re read the orignal post and i appologise for my response. your right douglas a perfectly reasonable post

Reactions: 4 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the best way being prediabetic is to use your meter to determine the foods that have the biggest impact on blood glucose, aim for non diabetic numbers you may not always hit the target but it will give you an idea how things are progressing.

At the end of the day if you do end up joining the club at least you will have the support and help from this forum.

Reactions: 4 people

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
http://m.spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/4/238.full is a well referenced summary. It is incorrect to label a low carbohydrate approach as short term or only for weight loss as there are thin people eating that way and doing so for years.

The acid test of any diet or pharmaceutical regime should be its ability to deliver the healthy BG levels expected in non- diabetics.

I find the so called Mediterranean diet to be too vaguely defined personally, perhaps because I didn't get to hang out with the peasants in the 1950s.

Reactions: 5 people

mpe

The term "low carb" can apply to many different diets. Some e.g. Atkins are primarily about weight loss others e.g. "Paleo" are more about lifestyle

There is no agreement about whether or not a long term low carb diet is good or bad.

There's no agreement about many things. If you were going to wait for it on matters of diet you'd probably starve to death...

The op is prediabetic, and skinny. If they have decided a Mediterranean balanced diet will suite them, and it's a diet they can maintain, with continuing medical support and continued testing, it's a good enough option for them.

I have looked at the same diets, and come to the same conclusions. It's an option that doesn't suite everyone, but I know where my bloods are, they're tested by myself daily, by my gp every three months, and if I ever do get to the stage where I need to eat fewer carbs, I'm sure I will go down that route.

To be maintainable a diet has to be the choice of the person eating it. That's something all too often overlooked.

But it isn't my first choice, as like the op, I believe it's more unknown as to risk, particularly as high saturated fat is still something I'll want to avoid even then based on current medical opinion.
But at the moment, I can process the carbs I do eat, and my body is evolved to run of them, in limited quantity maybe, but it still needs them. So low GI/GL and a good healthy diet is a viable option for me as well.

Actually biology says that humans don't actually need any dietary sugars (whatever you want to call them). (Many currently popular ideas of "healthy" and "unhealthy" when it comes to food make little sense from the POV of biology or chemistry even from the POV of history or archeology.)
In reality a "healthy diet" is one which keeps you healthy. The idea of a universal "healthy diet" really dosn't make much sense.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
...................The op is prediabetic, and skinny. If they have decided a Mediterranean balanced diet will suite them, and it's a diet they can maintain, with continuing medical support and continued testing, it's a good enough option for them . .....................

....................To be maintainable a diet has to be the choice of the person eating it. That's something all too often overlooked. ...............

So I'm assuming you agree this is the right diet for the op in tis case then, as I said originally.
As you correctly say, as did I, it has to be maintainable.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
http://m.spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/4/238.full is a well referenced summary. It is incorrect to label a low carbohydrate approach as short term or only for weight loss as there are thin people eating that way and doing so for years.

The acid test of any diet or pharmaceutical regime should be its ability to deliver the healthy BG levels expected in non- diabetics.

I find the so called Mediterranean diet to be too vaguely defined personally, perhaps because I didn't get to hang out with the peasants in the 1950s.

"However, of all the eating strategies employed in the management of diabetes and prediabetes, eating patterns dubbed as “low-carbohydrate” are arguably the most controversial among clinicians because of concerns about their safety, effectiveness, and sustainability, along with their impact on the kidneys, bones, lipids, and thyroid."

Your reference, and as you say well referenced.

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130815203715.htm suggests that less glycemic load is more powerful for diabetes risk reduction than the Mediterranean-ness of the diet in Greeks at least.

But then http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131128103839.htm says a massive lunch with wine as the single Med style meal of the day was the best of the 3 options tested.

Plenty to choose from, at least.

I entirely agree, as all my posts in this thread and others, low GI/GL all the way.

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
"However, of all the eating strategies employed in the management of diabetes and prediabetes, eating patterns dubbed as “low-carbohydrate” are arguably the most controversial among clinicians because of concerns about their safety, effectiveness, and sustainability, along with their impact on the kidneys, bones, lipids, and thyroid."

Your reference, and as you say well referenced.

"Concerns" are the lowest grade of anything. When they go looking for problems like in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20338292/ (random example) they draw a blank
This study provides preliminary evidence that long-term weight loss with a very-low-carbohydrate diet does not adversely affect renal function compared with a high-carbohydrate diet in obese individuals with normal renal function.

Low carbohydrates was the approach of choice for decades, and has the advantage of logic on its side - reducing the intake of the very substance that diabetes struggles with.

Low carb is of course the simplest form of low GL going.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
.............................Low carb is of course the simplest form of low GL going.

And completely unbalanced, with the concerns about "their impact on the kidneys, bones, lipids, and thyroid." referenced in the your own link above.
Hence the doubt of some of us.
By all means, it may work for you, so you are well within your right to disregard that particular aspect of your referenced study. I'm not so keen to ignore it, particularly as they're common concerns, and well documented.
Each to his own.

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

in the same way low carbers can be considered over powering towards their chosen route, anti low carbers can be just as over powering, you have to be careful which ever way you go i suppose, but im definately getting the anti vibe annie :( can we not just agree that all diets will work for some? lchf isnt a bad thing no more than whatever your choice is, it would be a shame to try and put people off trying things, especially something that has helped so many, i only see controversy from people deciding its contraversial, just an opinion no offense intended

No Andy I am certainly not trying to put people off the low carb diet and I am certainly not saying it is a bad thing I don't know enough about it to say that and I would never say that anyway as diet is so personal As I said in my post there is good and bad written about low carb as I am sure is written about any other diets so I am not in a position to form any opinion about it but whatever diet works for people can only be a good thing and at the end of the day thats all that matters.
I am sure people on this forum take on board the various ways others control their BG as I did and then they make a choice as to the way they want to go
I am sure everyone is just as passionate about the diet they do as you are about yours Andy so yes we can agree that all diets will suit somebody. How much simpler controlling diabetes would be if just one diet suited everyone

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i am sorry i replied in such a way, i just get frustrated to hear people quoting controversy when i dont see it, i havent seen controvercial evidence, just people that cant stick to it saying it either dosent work, its unsustainable or it could be dangerous, its absolutely fine if it dosent suit someone but that dosent mean it isnt a really effective way of control for many, i believe it saved my life and id happily pass that on given the chance, on saying that im not saying you said that, if i have a post in my head swimming around im sure it can come out in the wrong place, im also sure its not the only way of control, i personally know people here that have control by not low carbing.

you have to remember im just a dumb builder... oh and only a man of course :p

A

AnnieC

The op is prediabetic, and skinny. If they have decided a Mediterranean balanced diet will suite them, and it's a diet they can maintain, with continuing medical support and continued testing, it's a good enough option for them .

Thank you Douglas my post was really not about the low carb being a good or bad thing.....yes there is not enough known about the long term effects which I did take on board but thats not what I was saying on this thread thats another subject altogether

I was just saying it was just not my choice at the present time so I looked into other diets but anyone not doing the low carb on here is rather made to feel they are the wrong ones because only the low carbers are getting it right It is like an exclusive club

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

We can all try which ever diet we choose, our own choice, it's awful to feel that you are getting it wrong....
I am not a low carb person, but that's what I read about most of the time...
Not everyone is on a low carb diet.....
Not all research is accurate either, so many types of research, so many fores and against.....
Do what is right for you ......go for it AnnieC

Reactions: 3 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Anyway I have decided that as I am a prediabetic just a degree away from T2

Well done Annie for doing the right thing when you are pre-diabetic. I never ever knew I was diabetic and had probably been so for years but even if I had known I was pre-diabetic I am not sure I would have taken it seriously, I think it takes strength of character to take the problem by the horns and find a way that works for you. By doing this you may prevent onset for some time and even then, you may prevent upping drugs or whatever for a while.

Good Luck :)