Are oats porridge bad for breakfast ?

justconfused

Hi,

Having mixed feelings ... I am currently taking oats with water and a couple of starwberries for breakfast. Is that bad ?

What about half a slice of brown bread with a touch of cheese?

how much is harmful ?

I know it is daft but I am still confused reading from all the sources which give conflicting answers. I do not have a scale so cannot gauge the amount. Hence, eating very little.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I have jumbo porridge oats and oat bran mixed with nuts and dried fruit, semi skimmed milk on and microwaved, my wife makes it me up from scratch. I love it now and it sets me up for the day. Bread of any type sends my BS up, as does any type of bought porridge or instant. Everyone is diferant so you should try and find whats suitable for you my testing before breakfast then afer 2 hours.

justconfused

thanks cameraman .. really appreciated your reply.

Cannot find jumbo oats here, so just having he classic one. My husband makes it for me :wink:

cheers

Jenny

Scott's Old Fashioned Porage Oats are large and flat rolled. Most supermarkets I visit stock them.

I find that this product provides a porage with a better texture than using the smaller more refined types of porage. One cup of oats and 1.5 cups of milk microwaved for 2-3 minutes to get the consistency you prefer is the easiest way of cooking. Try without either salt or sugar, they have a natural sweetness. Also worth sprinkling a teaspoonful of wheat germ on to of the plate after cooking.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
justconfused said:
Hi,

Having mixed feelings ... I am currently taking oats with water and a couple of starwberries for breakfast. Is that bad ?

With your restricted diet reported elsewhere, I would be more concerned about the water! Full cream milk would be better. I would suggest adding ground almonds or other locally available nuts. You must have a coffee grinder you could use.

What about half a slice of brown bread with a touch of cheese?

Cheese will not raise your blood sugars - I snack on cheese - without bread & occasionally with a small oatcake, & I eat a handful of nuts through the day. A dietitian on the forum (Ally) suggests a matchbox size lump. I have that much several times a day.

how much is harmful ?

I know it is daft but I am still confused reading from all the sources which give conflicting answers. I do not have a scale so cannot gauge the amount. Hence, eating very little.

I know the problem - I came away from diagnosis thinking that sugar was poison & wondering what ever I could eat. The recommendation I was given was low sugar/fat/salt. But how low is low?

I have reduced my carb & increased my vegetable full fat cheese consumption in the last year (I was only buying reduced fat) & have found a cholesterol reduction as a result from 5.4 to 4.3. From buying only reduced fat marg for years, I started this year using butter.

ALL my measurable health numbers are better - blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides, weight, waist, blood pressure, exercise pulse rate ... and those achievements are by reduced carb & corresponding increase in veg & protein.

Hope that helps & you soon feel better.

Ian

justconfused

Thanks Ian, been following your advice and eating cheese ... helps in emergency and when out and about ... I eat small cocktail cubes of cheese and carry them with me....

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Jenny said:
Scott's Old Fashioned Porage Oats are large and flat rolled. Most supermarkets I visit stock them.

I find that this product provides a porage with a better texture than using the smaller more refined types of porage. One cup of oats and 1.5 cups of milk microwaved for 2-3 minutes to get the consistency you prefer is the easiest way of cooking. Try without either salt or sugar, they have a natural sweetness. Also worth sprinkling a teaspoonful of wheat germ on to of the plate after cooking.

This is what I have too; with Cravendale semi skinned and a healthy sprinkling of cinammon powder

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Oats are brilliant 8) I have a bowl every morning with 2 scoops of protein powder as part of my weight training diet and they are well recommended :)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Beav said:
Oats are brilliant 8)

They are brilliant if your body can tolerate them. :roll: Always test and remember that portion control is vital.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Synonym said:
Beav said:
Oats are brilliant 8)

They are brilliant if your body can tolerate them. :roll: Always test and remember that portion control is vital.

Yupy :) I don't have a big portion as im not a big eater in the morning and it needs to be a small portion due to my weight training meal plan :D

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
love my porridge first thing made half milk (semi skimmed) and half water microwaved and then shake on the cinnamon. bliss

Isis2

Has anyone tried making their porriage with skimmed milk and water, just a thought, I hate skimmed milk in tea/coffe and on cornflakes, but I can take it in cooking as you don't seem to notice it. So I used Semi Skimmed milk when drinking tea/coffee, and then skimmed milk for making rice pudding/yorkshire puddig or any other cooking requirements.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Yep I have porridge with 1/2 water and 1/2 skimmed milk on a regular basis using the cheapo oats from Tescos and seem fine with it.
Some people here suffer with high blood levels everwards but I seem fine.

Also like to have cheese on toast but after my cholesterol reading thats now banned certainly hard cheese anyway.

rpage

justconfused said:
thanks cameraman .. really appreciated your reply.

Cannot find jumbo oats here, so just having he classic one. My husband makes it for me :wink:

cheers

Tesco sell Jumbo Oats.I find Flanagans are best and the organic ones are the same price as the non organic. Our Tesco has just added Jordans Jumbo Oats. If you use Tesco and they do not stock them ask the manager, explain that Diabetics love them and if s/he has any business sense will get them stocked. Personally, I know the exact amount of oats, water and time to microwave! And to stop dropping oats everywhere use a small glass sitting inside a larger glass bowl - I then use the glass as my water measure and hey presto 2m30secs later I am in business! :wink:

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own muesli up by mixing equal amounts of Dorset farm original muesli (blue box with nuts) with jumbo oats and then add , pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, goji berries, cocoa nibs and a load of wheat germ. I mix this up in a large tin and use a handful in a bowl with natural yogurt, mix cinnamon into that and add natural soya milk (Holland and Barretts is just soya beans and water - nothing else) I reckon I have a good mix of fibre and protein there. This keeps me full for 3+ hours and my bg seems to cope with it.

yullamah

i ve changed my oat cereal to just fruit instead as it was making me feel sick. i eat the semi sweet fruit instead eg apples pears cherries etc, it seems to be working at keeping my sugar from rising. i am going to the doctor to c if i am gluten and lactose intolerant and will change my whole way of eating. my food intake is small portions are the best at the moment. but for my cup of tea i use the lowest skim fat milk i can buy . i have cut back on my potato intake and i am feeling great. plus i am trying to keep active because it is winter here.

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I was always told that "porridge is the breakfast of champions" :lol: