Please help - need advice

Sal Hanson

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi I have been feeling really ill now for about 2 years and my G.P. is baffled.
I have 3 close family members who are now insulin dependent but my G.P. says he doesn't think I am diabetic.
I have borrowed my friend meter and have had readings ranging from 11.0 mmol to 12 mmol - is this normal?
Would appreciate someone's advice. I am trying to rule out any possibility of diabetes.
Thanks Sal

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my doctor the night of diagnosis said if you go above 11 mmol you are diabetic period, im not saying thats right but thats what he said, id see your doctor again, best of luck

Tbird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anyone harming animals
Hi I have been feeling really ill now for about 2 years and my G.P. is baffled.
I have 3 close family members who are now insulin dependent but my G.P. says he doesn't think I am diabetic.
I have borrowed my friend meter and have had readings ranging from 11.0 mmol to 12 mmol - is this normal?
Would appreciate someone's advice. I am trying to rule out any possibility of diabetes.
Thanks Sal

Tbird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anyone harming animals
n sure if this helps but my doc has said that i am type diabetic and my sugar level in morning after fasting was 7.9 , although mine at the moment is controled by weight loss. Also new to this x Good Luck x

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
a blood sugar of 11mmol is the blood of a diabetic. better see you doc.

Reactions: 2 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It depends when you took the sample. You really need a fasting sample, or a reading 2 hours after you ate anything

Cara

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can, keep a record over the next couple of days of your readings before you eat, and 2 hours after. Take this in to your GP.
Like Andy, my DSN said that anything over 11 is diabetic, and I didn't need any of the investigations, I was diagnosed on the spot.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other posters. Test just before and 2 hours after a typical meal on a few occasions. If you are over 8-9 mmol then you are probably diabetic. You may need to insist that your GP does a GTT test or does an HBa1C. A fasting reading should be in the range 5-7 mmol but can vary quite a bit due to over night liver dumps of glucose so the mealtime tests can be better.