Skiing

Krisjan

Ok, so anyone with type 1 being skiing lately, any tips, and how have they found it. I have skied a couple of times before, but just diagnosed recently, so i am interested to hear how other people have dealt with it, as I am a little concerned I won't be able to do it any more, advice please - thanks

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, so anyone with type 1 being skiing lately, any tips, and how have they found it. I have skied a couple of times before, but just diagnosed recently, so i am interested to hear how other people have dealt with it, as I am a little concerned I won't be able to do it any more, advice please - thanks

I am a type 1, I snowboard not ski, but imagine the principles will be similar. I'm aged 39, I was diagnosed in Jan 13, and went snowboarding for the first time since then a few weeks ago. I had a lot of trepidation before going, due to the unknowns, but felt it was time to get back on the horse so to speak, my year with diabetes has been cursed by problems such as neuropathy.

The first two days my BG was high by lunchtime, 15ish, despite normal insulin regine, this must have been due to the adrenalin, or other stress hormone, due to being stressed about doing it, not knowing the resort & piste, and scared I guess. The rest of the week it levelled out, and I was really pleased at being able to keep my BG in normal ranges. My BG would generally drop overnigt by 2-3mmol as my muscles absorbed glucose overnight (I didn't seem to get the post 2 hour dip associated with exercise), so later in the week I was waking with it in the 4-6 range, knowing I was going to sleep with BG a bit higher than normal. Also after the first two days I did up my insulin for the carbs I needed on the go such as pasta lunch, and snacks, and this worked with adjusting my insulin upwards, and I always felt I had more energy with more carbs and insulin in my system.

I think that as long as you take some glucose tablets and your BG testing kit it can't go too far wrong. All in all it has helped me feel a bit more normal.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Runsweet (UK website) is good for explaining all aspects of managing type 1 diabetes and sport, including skiing.
Mountains for Active Diabetics (international Facebook group) is good for many aspects of management, including aspects such as blood glucose meters & testing in cold conditions.

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi we live in the French Alps so ski regularly. My son (10yrs) is T1 and has a pump, he usually reduces his basal by 70% and boluses slightly less than he needs when he stops for lunch on the mountain. This seems to work for him otherwise he struggles with hypos during the day. A big problem we found is that his test kit stops working due to the cold temperatures, so keep it somewhere toasty. Happy skiing.