Treating diabetes with cannabis

arjster

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sundays!
Universities have researched what effect cannabis may have on diabetes and whether treatments could arise out of the research.

Cannabis is an illegal drug in Britain but has been used by a number of cultures for thousands of years to treat a wide range of ailments - and is being legalised in much of America for medicinal purposes.

http://dvd.sagepub.com/content/10/6/267.short

What do you think?

Reactions: 4 people

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
How much is a an apartment over there ? Patch asked me to ask you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reactions: 2 people

ags1983

Apologies for length in advance, I kinda went off on one with this post!

Without getting into the whole (IMHO, based on an outdated and Draconian law) legality of cannabis, I started using it about a year ago.
I had what i can only describe as irritatingly painful and physically draining neuropathy :(

The neuropathy mainly affected my hands, feet, upper arms, upper legs and abdomen. This made it painfully to have anything on my feet or anywhere where my clothes weren’t loose and non constrictive. Also trying to sleep at night was a bl**dy nightmare! and when i did eventually get to sleep then i would be waking at least once an hour.
Knock on effect, i couldn't concentrate on my work as much as i would have liked. Also resulted in numerous days off due to fatigue and the inability to concentrate properly. (work as an instrument repair and calibration technician so kinda need to be on my game.)

This went on for a while, tried the usual neuropathy drugs, Amitriptyline, gabbapentin (sp?), Also tried sleeping pills (due to restlessness and difficulty getting/staying asleep), prescription and OTC variety. Some of these slightly helped but hated the groggy/drowsy feeling the next day (esp the amitriptyline).

Was reading various sites around the net and came across some mentioning that there is growing evidence of the medical use of cannabis. Having not really used cannabis in the past 10 years since my late teens. Decided ,
“What the hell its worth a shot, cant really make me feel worse.”

That was about a year ago, and a can personally say this time last year i felt like, for lack of a better description, s**t! I was basically feeling miserable and was willing to try (almost) anything.
Now im feeling on top of my game and wake up refreshed, with none of the “pharmaceutical” grogginess.

I normally just have a smoke once a day before bed. Yes i know smoking is bad for you esp being diabetic, but there are many ways for it to enter your system, not just smoking.

I'm not out to say everyone should do it, just that it worked and is working for me. Bloods are fine, eyes and feet are fine and i now only take insulin, and have ditched the drugs related to complications.

Cheers for reading (if you made it through to the end :D )

Reactions: 7 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just thought I'd post while I still can. This thread is a top candidate for beig deleted.

:(

I've asked the question before - didn't get too many responses here... Hopefully this thread wil have more luck!

ags1983

I can kinda understand if the mods delete this, its still classed as illegal with no medicinal use.
Yet the government has licensed Satavex which is, in all sense and purpose, chemicals extracted from cannabis using alcohol (the cannaboids are not souluble in water, only in fats/oils or a solvent, ie alcohol)

This kinda ties the governments hands. Keep it as a schedule 1 drug (no medicial use, which contradicts their licence of Satavex)
Or change it to a controlled drug.
It can never fully be legalised (this is against UN Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances) but it can be decriminalised.

But on the other hand Its not like we are talking about smoking crack or injecting heroin! After all its a plant!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
ags1983 - good on ya, mate! If you find something that works for you, stick with it for as long as it works for you. Like you said, I'd also be concerned about smoking it with tobacco, though.

However, I'm sure that there are LOADS of smokers on ths very forum that would be up in arms at the suggestion of adding cannabis to their treatment regime.

If you're smoking something (tobacco) that is definitely[/i] detrimental to your health (surely nobody would disagree with that?), why not throw in a little weed (once a day) for the possible/likely benefits.

Here's to experimenting with your own treatment! (Based on careful research, of course! :wink: )

ags1983 said:
After all its a plant!
"Man, they ain't nothin' wrong with smokin' weed. Weed is from the Earth. God put this here for me... and you! Take advantage, man... take advantage. ..." -Smokey (Friday - 1995).

Peace Love and Mary Jane.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
My understanding of the report/study is that it is discussing the use of Cannabinoids which are derived from the Cannabis plant and synthetic Cannabinoids. Prescription drugs which utilise either a synthetic Cannabinoid or one that is extracted from the plant. It is not about the use of herbal cannabis for treatment of Diabetes, which we all know is a Class B substance, a controlled drug.

There are at present only 2 drugs which can be prescribed for medicinal use and both are discussed in the study. Basically they are Nabilone and Sativex. Nabilone is a synthetic Cannabinoid, Sativex is a Cannabis Plant extract which is mainly used for MS sufferers as an add on treatment to try and improve things for those who have 'moderate to severe spasticity.'

The study hypothesises whether either of these drugs or a similar synthetic derivative or a natural extract would be a suitable adjunct to present day anti-Diabetic medication. There doesn't seem to any clear answer as yet. The results so far don't seem to indicate it has any beneficial effect........

The main conclusion states that the evidence relating to Cannabis and Diabetes 'is highly complex and of variable quality. Some evidence is anecdotal, some is experimental and difficult to extrapolate to Human's.' It also states that the use of Cannabinoids as a method of treatment for Diabetes 'is too early to say whether this will lead to new treatments.' I can go along with that, as the studies are really in very early stages. No proper clinical Trials etc.

Anecdotally, I had a friend who had severe MS.......he smoked joints for years. He always said he derived some relief from his symptoms, however nobody can quantify whether it was the use of the illegal drug, the benefit of his prescribed drugs, or just an improvement in his MS which in any case always went in 'fits and starts.' Some days were better than others. It appeared to give him a better quality of life........not sure that was the case ? He felt it did, however his mood swings etc made it so difficult for his wife she left him in the finish. Was that the Cannabis....was it the MS......or just the fact he was a miserable 'git' !........

Many plants, herbs etc may have medicinal uses, usually because something has been extracted from them. I don't have any problem with that at all.......where would we be without the various Narcotic drugs which are prescribed for the relief of severe pain, medicinally of course.

It would be interesting to see where, if anywhere, this research progresses.

ags1983

Yeah i agree with you there cugila, there needs to be more more medical reserch done before any of the laws change.

Also read somewhere that certain synthetic variaties, or the extraction of specific chemicals within cannabis are sometimes not as effective as the cannabis itself, either in food, smoking or vaporising. Basically heating the herb to the boiling point of the thc so the chemicals boil off without causing combustion and therefore reducing the carcinogenic effects.

Some believe that this effect might be due to the relationship of different chemicals working together in the cannabis, benefiting each other, which single specific compounds dont.

But yeah, times are a changing and hopefully they can isolate the benificial medical side from the recreational side (which can be fun, in countries which alow recreational use, of course :p)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ags1983.
Yes, I agree with you.

I think from what I recall there are over 60 different Cannabinoids that are derived from the Cannabis Plant so I am sure there is plenty of scope for more research. It's just a pity that there seems to be the idea that smoking 'skunk' or whatever is what is being talked about here. I think that in itself was the last thing on the OP's mind in starting this thread, at least I hope so ?? :|

I do hope and believe that in the future there will be benefits for Diabetes from a wide range of present day drugs and of course new ones once proper research and evidence is done. Nice to see some lateral thinking going on.

I'm actually surprised there isn't more appropriate discussion going on in this thread.....the subject certainly attracted my attention but I thought I would wait for some responses before posting. :)

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
My mate bm
reckons that the use of cannabis when you are diabetic can be fatal should you need emergancy treatment the cannabis acts as a beta blocker and the patient is not able to respond to required meds . What does he know Bob's been dead for years but the music lives . :wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sounds like a terrible idea to me too, get diabetics stoned and then watch as they get the munchies and start eating whole packets of chocolate biscuits and Mars bars :lol:

Reactions: 4 people

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Lucky here in Newcastle ,. With excellent links to Amsterdam 8)
Direct Ferry link, also the KL? City hopper from Newcastle Airport

Amsterdam has Lovely coffee shops with all kinda legal things to partake in :shock:
I did experiment for pain relief, 8)
Did relax me, I still had the same pain level, Just did not care about it :mrgreen: ,

I only go for Tulips and the Honey cakes Now Honest

[youtube]IRfluaMKoOY[/youtube]

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid said:
Sounds like a terrible idea to me too, get diabetics stoned and then watch as they get the munchies and start eating whole packets of chocolate biscuits and Mars bars :lol:

I've heard (ahem) that walnuts with coleslaw and pepperami are good for the munchies... 8)

Nobody is saying getting stoned is beneficial - jut like nobody would say that drinking a gallon of Red is beneficial.

It pains me to say it, but - everything in moderation... (Comment removed)

And (cliche alert) we're all different. Cannabis may not be suitable for everyone. I sure hope I'm one of the ones that it might be beneficial for, though...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:

Cannabis chocolate maybe? - kill 2 birds with one stone(d) :lol:

primmers

In the dim and distant I had some cannabis and chocolate chip ice cream. It was every bit as narsty as it sounds like it would be.

I'm fortunate enough not to have neuropathy pain to control as yet, maybe when I do I'll think differently but I associate cannabis with boringness and frankly the dietary restrictions diabetes brings are quite enough boringness for me.

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there. Ive had type 1 since the age of 5 now going on 26 years. Now im riddled with complications. Neuropathy, gastroparesis, retinopathy. My control is good, but it is too late.
No prescribed pharamceuricals have worked on the nerve prob and the gastro (i expect nothing can fix my eyes). I smoked and ate cannabis for 15 years. I stoppped 2 years ago within 6 months i acquired the above problems. I started again a 6 months ago. The problems have not gone away, but the symptoms were greatly reduced. After a recent 2 month pause the gastro prob has got very severe and i find it very hard to function. All consultant prescribed medication fails and i am sick 2-3 times every day. I feel dreadful and look terrible. I will start taking a small amohnt of cannabis in the next few months and let you know if it helps. Id like to rule out coinsidence first. And dont like to give hope on something that is relatively untested.
Google cannabis oil and there are 100's of testimoneys

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just as a footnote. If ingestion is an issue. There is an alternative to smoking with tobacco.
Something called a vaporiser. (youll have to research yourself if interrested).

Apologies to admin in advance for advocating something less than legal. But people with complications ne3e not suffer if they think theyve found a remedy even if it is les than scientific.
Many thanks

Janea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say that I find it very beneficial. I am only an occasional user (and more often than not when I am in Holland) but when I do I find it gets rid of all the pain I feel for other non-diabetic related ailments and helps me to sleep. I suffer from very bad insomnia - and this is just about the only thing which helps. I guess it depends on what you smoke and how much - but it doesn't really affect my mood apart from making me more relaxed. It's like drink in that you need to know when to stop - I don't like getting drunk so I stop before I do, I don't like being too stoned so I stop before it gets too much. You just have to be sensible. There will always be people who abuse it - just as there are those who abuse alcohol. Now that DOES cost the NHS dearly! And you are far less likely to get into fights on weed than booze.

And all that gaff about getting the munchies - well I don't find that at all. When I am tired or in pain I find that I comfort eat chocolate or sweets. I don't do that after weed.

I much prefer to alcohol and wish the government would make it legal - though I guess that's never going to happen. But I may check out the Sativex for my mother who has severe neuropathy and can't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time.