DON'T BUY YOUR OWN GLUCOSE TESTERS!!!

seanmorris1

Hi just making sure all newly diagnosed know that if you need a blood glucose meter then check
Diabetes uk 1st as I did which saved me having to buy one at my own cost as their are some great
Meters to be had. Don't worry about how to get the test strips or the lancets as all you need to do is
Take the meters to your doctors (if you don't pay for prescriptions even better) and ask the Doc to
Make it so you get them on repeat prescriptions. Your pharmacy may not have them in at the time
But should be able to get them by the following morning. Just thought I would share this with anyone
Who was looking at getting a new glucose meter.

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you're trying to help Sean, but most Type 2s will not be able to get strips and lancets on prescription and would be better off to buy a meter that uses cheaper strips as they will probably have to fund them themselves. The SD Codefree meter is one that many in that situation buy.

Smidge

A

AnnieC

Hi just making sure all newly diagnosed know that if you need a blood glucose meter then check
Diabetes uk 1st as I did which saved me having to buy one at my own cost as their are some great
Meters to be had. Don't worry about how to get the test strips or the lancets as all you need to do is
Take the meters to your doctors (if you don't pay for prescriptions even better) and ask the Doc to
Make it so you get them on repeat prescriptions. Your pharmacy may not have them in at the time
But should be able to get them by the following morning. Just thought I would share this with anyone
Who was looking at getting a new glucose meter.

A

AnnieC

Are you T1 because it is not very usual for T2 to get theirs free sorry that should have been not easy to get strips on prescription for T 2

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Annie. Amazingly manufacturers often do provide free meters to T2s. I got my One Touch for free about 8 years ago even though I said I was T2 at the time. I guess it's because you will buy their strips privately so they win either way.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Most companies will give away free meters as they make their profits on the strips. As for getting strips on prescription, certainly worth asking but from what I read, the majority of T2's are denied. Good luck !
Mo

mcdonagh47

Most companies will give away free meters as they make their profits on the strips. As for getting strips on prescription, certainly worth asking but from what I read, the majority of T2's are denied. Good luck !
Mo

The majority of Type 2s are NOT denied strips on prescription. 40% of us are on insulin ( 4 times more than the entire T1 population !) and are guaranteed strips. All those on sulfs ( e.g. gliclazide ) are guaranteed strips by the NICE Guidelines as well. Many more Ts not on insulin or sulfs also get strips so lets say 60 to 70% of T2s are getting strips on prescription.

The big issue is with newly dxed Type 2s and Type 2s who are only on D&E and/or metformin and not insulin or a sulf. They are routinely told they don't need to test and it wont help them control their blood sugars. Many new T2s are happy to be told about "not needing to test" - it is part of the denial process for them.

Once all the damage has been done and the condition has progressed so far that they need sulfs and insulin, they are allowed strips on prescription, shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Reactions: 8 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
The majority of Type 2s are NOT denied strips on prescription. 40% of us are on insulin ( 4 times more than the entire T1 population !) and are guaranteed strips. All those on sulfs ( e.g. gliclazide ) are guaranteed strips by the NICE Guidelines as well. Many more Ts not on insulin or sulfs also get strips so lets say 60 to 70% of T2s are getting strips on prescription.

The big issue is with newly dxed Type 2s and Type 2s who are only on D&E and/or metformin and not insulin or a sulf. They are routinely told they don't need to test and it wont help them control their blood sugars. Many new T2s are happy to be told about "not needing to test" - it is part of the denial process for them.

Once all the damage has been done and the condition has progressed so far that they need sulfs and insulin, they are allowed strips on prescription, shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I am Type2 insulin dep and not denied strips.... BUT I am restricted to ONE pack per month. Of little use to me, a low carber who tests at least 7 times a day, more if I'm driving! So I have to buy extra strips which costs me more than my monthly food bill :(

B

badcat

I'm t2 on a Gliclizide. A couple of years ago my gp practice said they would no longer issue me any test strips - when I questioned it I was told to speak to the practice manager, which I declined to do given that she is not a medic. I insisted on seeing one of the partners in the practice and when I eventually got to see him had a long discussion outlining the ways I use quite aggressive testing to manage my diabetes meaning the practice was actually saving shed loads of money as my medication needs had declined with better control - I've had no problem getting strips since then and get 150 every other month on a repeat script

mpe

I am Type2 insulin dep and not denied strips.... BUT I am restricted to ONE pack per month. Of little use to me, a low carber who tests at least 7 times a day, more if I'm driving! So I have to buy extra strips which costs me more than my monthly food bill :(

Maybe you'd be better off using an SD Codefree. Since 200 strips for this would be £27.50
Depends how much you are currently spending on "extra" strips.

Cessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
pretentious and narcissistic know-alls and busybodies. centipedes and millipedes. snails and slugs, anything that slithers
Are you T1 because it is not very usual for T2 to get theirs free sorry that should have been not easy to get strips on prescription for T 2

Since being put on Meformin over a year ago, and even before Glicazide was added to my treatment regime, ALL my prescriptions have been free. My GP told me at the time that as soon as I started on Metformin, I would be entitled to an exemption certificate. I've only just yesterday acquired a meter, lancet and strips (trying to sort out cause of night sweats) but again, everything has been provided on free prescription. I expect that there are national guidelines laid down somewhere, but different HTs and GPs might interpret things in their own way.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even buying test strips can be an issue. A friend of mine is diet controlled after being taken off Metformin due to improved HbA1c. His Practise Nurse told him even when he was on Metformin that there was no need for him to test and the HbA1c was all that was needed. I got him into testing and he managed to get a free meter from Bayer. He has been buying 1 pot of Bayer Contour strips per month and he doesn't mind paying for them as he can afford it. He gets them from his local Boots Pharmacy at the Doctors Surgery and usually buys them VAT free no problem. He says he went for some more the other day and there was a guy serving rather than the usual ladies. When he asked for some the guy supposedly told him that he had recently been on a training course and that he had learnt that type 2 don't need to test and so refused to sell him any! He apologised for refusing a sale but said that was what they had been told. If this is the case I think it is disgusting as it is nothing to do with them what you purchase, and they are still selling them on their website so where he got his training I've no idea!
Happy New Year all
Angie

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 2 and on metformin, novo rapid and levemir - I've always been prescribed strips and order them as I need them - I get 100 each time.

Minirex

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a newbie and had my first visit with the diabetic nurse, i asked her about using a meter and self testing and I was told GP's are not giving them out anymore due to cost. Although in her opinion she said all diabetics should test.
My next appointment is end of January now all I had was a booklet and a finger test that day, I came away feeling a little left to it, luckily I am a person who will research. I am determined to help myself with diet/lifestyle change. I have bought a meter due to feeling a bit lost and not understanding what is going on.
I feel more in control now. Yes it is all extra expense but I plan on only testing if I feel I have to.
I am T2 due to steroids and other health problems but feel I am doing ok due to reading and learning.
I will ask my GP when I see him next and see what happens. :) here's hoping