Extreme Tiredness

Claireb5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can just about cope with the running to the loo all the time and being thirsty but the extreme tiredness is really getting to me. Any ideas on best way to help this?

Ali B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can just about cope with the running to the loo all the time and being thirsty but the extreme tiredness is really getting to me. Any ideas on best way to help this?
Hi Claire
Have you had your iron levels checked? I had really extreme tiredness. I had tests for lots o different things but they came back clear except for my iron. Ive had to have injections and have been taking ferrous fumate for the past six months. Its worth asking if you havent had the check.

K

Kat100

Hi claire, have you started any medical treatment to help you .....????
Tiredness and bring a db can be awful....it can also be any one of many other things...
Share more if you feel you would like to .....best wishes Kat

Claireb5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi claire, have you started any medical treatment to help you .....????
Tiredness and bring a db can be awful....it can also be any one of many other things...
Share more if you feel you would like to .....best wishes Kat
Hi Kat,

I haven't started any medical treatment yet but I have an appointment with my GP on monday. Also going to cut back on carbs to see if that helps.

Thanks
Claire

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Losing weight and cutting back carbs helped me in the summer. I dropped off to sleep in front of the TV most evenings, now I have increased energy levels.

It's sad, I always though I was healthy and fit and fat. That being overweight was only a problem if you were vain. But it really is to do with health.

I didn't want it to be true!

But 3 stones lighter and I wouldnt go back.

Cara

Reactions: 6 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you have ever watched that hospital program on channel 4 or 5, they had a woman on who had sleep problems, the doctor said to have carbs before bed, there's your answer - sugar.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i used to fall asleep on contact with the sofa each night after work, i do mean on contact, the wife and kids couldnt believe it was possible to fall asleep that fast, this was for like 15 years, since dx i never fall asleep if anything i get too little sleep, i dont know if its the lack of carbs the lack of sugar or the weight loss but its a fact, and i do 1000 times more exercise now than i did then, hopefully when you sort yourself out your tiredness will go away too, best of luck

im not saying your dont have something else causing it so please get the other stuff checked out too im just saying what happened to me

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

Hi Kat,

I haven't started any medical treatment yet but I have an appointment with my GP on monday. Also going to cut back on carbs to see if that helps.

Thanks
Claire

Hi

Your symptoms of needing the loo and feeling thirsty all the time along with the tiredness all point to very high blood sugar levels and you really should see your GP fairly pronto as you may need to start insulin or oral med but only a GP will know what to do as they will also check for keytones. If I was you I would go tomorrow morning to GP as an emergency and not wait until Monday

Reactions: 3 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say the tiredness was caused by high blood sugars, but other causes include
  1. Vitamin D deficiency
  2. Iron deficiency anaemia
  3. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  4. Underactive thyroid
Best to get it checked out as others have said.

Reactions: 2 people

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
I bet you'll feel 100 times better when you get your blood sugars under control. I've recently started taking a B12 supplement and I'm sure it's made me feel less tired and more alert with less brain fog.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
carbs just like fuel for a car keep the body and mind running low carbs will undoubtedly mean less energy and subsequent tiredness so this is a possibility worth looking into.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
I've been there Claire but since I've changed my diet and started to loose weight I'm not having the nap on the sofa and I have more energy .My thrust and loo trips are reduced and pretty much at a 'normal' level. It just takes time for your body to adjust. Remember its an on going process. Let us all know how you get on with the Doc.

STH

Claireb5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. Was at hospital on tues as practice nurse found trace of ketones in my urine sample. Hospital recon firmed diagnosis of diabetes but were happy that I didn't have dka. They also advised that whilst blood glucose is high I wasn't considered a medical emergency. I was sent home (thankfully) to follow up with my GP and cut back on sugars and carbs in the meantime :). I should have mentioned that I also have an underactive thyroid which is a bit out of whack so that could be contributing to the tiredness too

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
carbs just like fuel for a car keep the body and mind running low carbs will undoubtedly mean less energy and subsequent tiredness so this is a possibility worth looking into.

your wrong mate

angua

Yeah I had extreme tiredness too - put me near a non-moving object and I'd be fast asleep all over it - turns out I have bradycardia as well as pre-diabetes ... Take my advice go and get yourself check out by someone who knows whats what ..

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it was starting to sound like Claire. Keep at your Doc and the support team over the next year , take questions you have with you when you see them and make sure you are getting to know everything you need.

STH.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
your wrong mate
I'm so glad to hear that andy but tell me what does your brain and muscles use for energy and Claire I'm glad it's not Dka which for future reference requires emergency treatment and involves extreme and unstoppable vomiting and not so much tiredness as rather a phasing out of reality and existence both times i suffered this put me in hospital for 2 weeks requiring immediate hospital treatment. the low thyroid problem can certainly be a cause of tiredness I don't suffer that myself but three of my family do and they each describe tiredness as a symptom.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Did you ever reduce your carbs? i have and im running 40 miles a week training for the marathon in april, i work 60 hours a week in a physical job (stonemason) i get 5 hours sleep each night and have young children that keep me going, for example we went walking yesterday in the forest for a few hours building a camp out of broken trees after my 6 mile run..... now explain to me how reducing carbs means you have no fuel?