Dissertation Help.

faygawith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a student in my third year at Manchester Metropolitan University where I am studying Human Nutrition.

I am currently in the process of undertaking my dissertation, in which I have chosen to compare Diabetic patients and the general public’s knowledge on Diabetes. As a type 1 Diabetic myself, one of the things I find the most frustrating is the lack of knowledge people have about Diabetes, which I find shocking as anyone can develop Diabetes at any time of their lives.

I have produced a questionnaire, I would really appreciate if anyone with Diabetes could help me with my research and fill one in. It should be answered as honestly as possible and should only take around 10 minutes to complete. I would be very grateful for your help.

You can find the survey by following this link: https://mmutourism.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8CbZS7LkPpOJUc5

Thankyou for your help. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi i wish you luck with your course or whatever it is but this is the wrong place to ask these questions, we arent the general public and the questions are beyond basic, whats the point in a survey where everyone knows the answers?

Reactions: 3 people

faygawith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your comment.
I have researched the topic of Diabetes awareness for several months now and I have found through my communication with Diabetics and non Diabetics that there is a lack of understanding of the condition, so therefore I believe this is the ideal place to find out the gaps people have in their knowledge.
Well done for being so clued up, I myself am a type 1 Diabetic and think I am clued up on the condition but the reason I am doing this topic for my dissertation is the fact through my own research I have found others are not.
I appreciate your comment but I am going to have to disagree with it.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Which of the statements below best describes the definition of type 1 Diabetes? Please choose two answers.
  • Develops when insulin producing cells in the body are destroyed and the body is unable to produce any insulin at all

• Insulin producing cells are unable to produce enough insulin, or the insulin produced does not work properly.

• Usually appears in people over 40 and can be linked with being overweight

• Usually appears in young people and cannot be prevented or cured.

which 2 are the right answers?

this survey also gives zero regard to type 1.5

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your comment.
I have researched the topic of Diabetes awareness for several months now and I have found through my communication with Diabetics and non Diabetics that there is a lack of understanding of the condition, so therefore I believe this is the ideal place to find out the gaps people have in their knowledge.
Well done for being so clued up, I myself am a type 1 Diabetic and think I am clued up on the condition but the reason I am doing this topic for my dissertation is the fact through my own research I have found others are not.
I appreciate your comment but I am going to have to disagree with it.

I don't mean to be awkward but (in relation to Andy's post) I don't understand your reply.

The general public are largely ignorant of all aspects of diabetes. I know that because until a few months ago that was exactly my position. But I've learned a lot since my diagnosis, as have the vast majority of those who use this site, which means you won't find anything like that level of unawareness here. When compared to the population as a whole, therefore, the contributors to this site are a totally skewed sample.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to gauge awareness here -v- that of the general population (and you're sampling that elsewhere), or you're looking at how much those who have the condition know in comparison, then I can understand the purpose of your research and I'd be delighted to help.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well I've filled it in for you. Always worth helping out future hcp's as maybe it will change things for the better.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

faygawith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't mean to be awkward but (in relation to Andy's post) I don't understand your reply.

The general public are largely ignorant of all aspects of diabetes. I know that because until a few months ago that was exactly my position. But I've learned a lot since my diagnosis, as have the vast majority of those who use this site, which means you won't find anything like that level of unawareness here. When compared to the population as a whole, therefore, the contributors to this site are a totally skewed sample.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to gauge awareness here -v- that of the general population (and you're sampling that elsewhere), or you're looking at how much those who have the condition know in comparison, then I can understand the purpose of your research and I'd be delighted to help.

Thankyou for your reply.
Yes I am trying to compare the knowledge of people with Diabetes to that of the general population. I already know that people with Diabetes will generally have a better knowledge of the condition but basically the aim of my dissertation is to come up with a health promotion that raises the awareness of Diabetes. I am also looking at Diabetes health campaigns and initiatives to see how successful they are at providing people with information.
Can I ask you what you find disheartening about the general public's awareness of Diabetes?

faygawith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I've filled it in for you. Always worth helping out future hcp's as maybe it will change things for the better.

Thank you, i appreciate your comment and thanks for taking part in the questionnaire.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Filled it in. I could probably suggest more questions or changes to questions as smartlady has indicated

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Advice... Go read the Swedish Health Care doc "Kost Vid Diabetes" and the work of people like Dr Annie Dahlqvist for a more up to date view of diabetes than the low fat eat well plate dogma that's a decade out of date.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like to admit but ,i thought I knew all about diabetes, am a nurse or was.
I KNEW NOTHING TILL I CAME UPON THIS FORUM.
Do all you can to inform people, with good wishes for your future.:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck with the dissertation Fagawith, questionnaire completed and I do hope you have a successful career ahead of you:)

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling very tired so read original post several times as couldn't understand first reply . . . and still can't.
Original post explains exactly why this Forum is perfect place to ask for responses (along with other places to get more general public responses).
Have filled in questionnaire. I understand why people have said "a bit woolly", but you have left space for us to express ourselves and I hate those multiple choice tick box surveys that never seem to have an answer that covers my circumstances. Very difficult to create really good questionnaire.
Hope it all goes well and I'll be interested to see your Info.
I'm sure your course is beneficial and I'm sorry it was so glibly dismissed earlier. wWell done on your measured, mature responses.

Thank you,

Jane.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Fagawith, you said:
"As part of my dissertation project I have produced an information leaflet about Diabetes. "
I am sure that we would be pleased to see this document and discuss it with you.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
jane please dont appologise for my posts, thankyou

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not apologising for your post, Andy, just saying I'm sorry about how it came over to me.

Jane.