lost the plot for 2 days over xmas made a big diffrence to bs

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:(lost the plot for 2 days over xmas , and bs gone up from 4,3 to 6.1 ,,, finding it a bit hard to get back into routine ,it makes a big big difference , I only had a bar of chocolate instead of a TIN . hahaha , and a couple of the well you know that party stuff food ,
and amazingingly its hard to get back onot the old chiken and egss ect ect , I must admit I am craving a little bit and hoping I have the will power as the diet is a life changing diet not a 1 week wonder ,but after saying all this , really I guess I done well or did I ?

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Doesn't hurt to have the odd day off the wagon ! Your numbers still pretty good !

Reactions: 4 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 is ok - I had 4 days off and went up to 8, mainly due to being a guest in someone elses house who was determined to force feed me carbs!

Back to 5.7 today.

Reactions: 3 people

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know some people say 'why put yourself through high blood sugars and the negative health effects for a few days of enjoyment?' .... well I say a few days of enjoyment and letting yourself go is a GOOD thing for your overall well-being and sanity. It must be hard to get back on track now but I'm sure you can do it and honestly, your blood sugar didn't go crazy high, just a bit higher than you'd have liked. I think you did really well.

As for me I had a chest infection over Christmas (still have it actually) and my blood sugars have been between 17 - 20 for about a week now.... feel like poop! :rolleyes:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's been a long list of people falling off the wagon over the Christmas period so your not alone Sandysan, I'm sure in time your levels will return to where you were before.

Reactions: 6 people

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's been a long list of people falling off the wagon over the Christmas period so your not alone Sandysan, I'm sure in time your levels will return to where you were before.
Put me on that list.

If it helps show solidarity, at various times during the past week I've had 'premium' Xmas pud, homemade sage & onion stuffing, some fabulous chips, a wonderful baked potato and, oh yes, 4 pints of my favourite bitter beer on Xmas Eve. It all nudged my averages up for December, but only by 0.2 over what they had been on Dec 23rd (not completely mathematically sound, I know), with my highest reading being 8.9 (90 mins after the Xmas pud) and my 7 and 14 day averages showing 6.0 and 5.8, respectively.

I'll go back to none-of-the-above tomorrow, in anticipation of my 3-monthly blood test at the end of January. That'll be the first one since I started my lifestyle changes. I can hardly wait .......

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I stayed on the wagon all over Christmas but it's just lost a wheel and I've fallen off! :eek:. Have figured it's ok to sin for a few hours. Tomorrow isn't just a new day, it's a New Year! :p

Reactions: 12 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stayed on the wagon all over Christmas but it's just lost a wheel and I've fallen off! :eek:. Have figured it's ok to sin for a few hours. Tomorrow isn't just a new day, it's a New Year! :p
ohh beachbag , such wise wise words,thanks a million,needed them today big time.:depressed:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I seemed to have lost control since I started work in September. I'm hoping once my meds change on Thursday I can try to regain control of what I eat!

Henry_Sugar

I know some people say 'why put yourself through high blood sugars and the negative health effects for a few days of enjoyment?' .... well I say a few days of enjoyment and letting yourself go is a GOOD thing for your overall well-being and sanity. It must be hard to get back on track now but I'm sure you can do it and honestly, your blood sugar didn't go crazy high, just a bit higher than you'd have liked. I think you did really well.

As for me I had a chest infection over Christmas (still have it actually) and my blood sugars have been between 17 - 20 for about a week now.... feel like poop! :rolleyes:

Are you carb counting Bean ? If so (on my machine) there is an option to increase your Bolus setting to +25% for "illness" ;)

& BTW Steroids (assuming you are on them) increase your blood sugar levels, so that maybe why they are 17-20 :cool:

Kerry74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hot and spicy food
:(lost the plot for 2 days over xmas , and bs gone up from 4,3 to 6.1 ,,, finding it a bit hard to get back into routine ,it makes a big big difference , I only had a bar of chocolate instead of a TIN . hahaha , and a couple of the well you know that party stuff food ,
and amazingingly its hard to get back onot the old chiken and egss ect ect , I must admit I am craving a little bit and hoping I have the will power as the diet is a life changing diet not a 1 week wonder ,but after saying all this , really I guess I done well or did I ?
I
I really dont know y u r complaining about your bg they r perfect u want to worry when I struggle to keep my bg below 15 over Xmas ' u need to carry on with what u r doing your bg is perfect hny x

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah me too! Ate loads of chocolate, drank loads of beer and had a bloody good time doing it too! I feel guilty about it, but a week of high levels amongst a year of great levels is not going to do me any harm - although next year, I think I don't think I'll overindulge quite so much. First day back in work today and levels are looking perfect so far.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you carb counting Bean ? If so (on my machine) there is an option to increase your Bolus setting to +25% for "illness" ;)

& BTW Steroids (assuming you are on them) increase your blood sugar levels, so that maybe why they are 17-20 :cool:

Thanks. I'm not on any meds other than my usual ones but yes I carb count - I'm back to 'normal' now but at the time I was doing correction doses and my levels were still not coming down... I need to get my head around the 'sick day rules'. Hey ho, illness is never a predictable thing with diabetes!

Henry_Sugar

Thanks. I'm not on any meds other than my usual ones but yes I carb count - I'm back to 'normal' now but at the time I was doing correction doses and my levels were still not coming down... I need to get my head around the 'sick day rules'. Hey ho, illness is never a predictable thing with diabetes!

Well like I stated before my carb machine (Accu-Chek Aviva Expert) gives me the option to +25% bolus with the "illness" setting. The +25% setting was done by my DN but can be changed to any figure you wish.

When you do get ill as a diabetic it is a challenge !!!!

Glad to hear you are back to normal ;)