Alcohol and diabetes

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was quite worried about drinking at a party at the weekend, however I had 9 glasses of vodka and Pepsi Max, and I was completely fine, obviously I don't drink often. That was the first time in 4 months so I'm happy

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That combo shouldn't cause a raise in levels as very little if no sugar. Can cause a drop after though as the liver processes the alcohol it stops it producing the normal basal level of sugar. Did you have a snack whilst drinking or before bed.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
+1 to Brett! You've got to seriously watch out for lows after a big session on the grog! Please be careful

Stellaau

oh I wanted to ask question about this too. so I am suppose to go out this friday and drink, i like wine and cocktails. can anyone suggest how to drink with this health issue? can i have cocktails and if so, is there something I can do to make it easier for my pancreas ?

kimkennedy1989

Cocktails and shots, I normally avoid! Really hard to adjust insulin to cover them due to the syrups and fruit juice used in them....I would stick to spirits with diet juice and make sure you snack as alcohol will automatically lower your blood sugar. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 people

Stellaau

kimkennedy1989 said:
Cocktails and shots, I normally avoid! Really hard to adjust insulin to cover them due to the syrups and fruit juice used in them....I would stick to spirits with diet juice and make sure you snack as alcohol will automatically lower your blood sugar. Hope this helps!

Thanks Kimkennedy1989
I am not taking medication nor insulin yet, would that still apply for me? to eat between and have wine

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Bri241295,
Good advice from all those that replied, all I can add is to say that alcohol is one of the few substances that can be absorbed directly throught the lining of the stomach with no need for it to be delayed in waiting to be absorbed through the digestive tract to enter the bloodstream.

So if you decide to drink alcohol it is always advisable to eat something shortly before drinking any alcohol, as that will then absorb the alcohol in the stomach and hence slow down its release into the bloodstream (something like bread/toast/butter or dry biscuits are ideal).

Be careful in mixing alcoholic drinks as mixing drinks i.e. 'Gin & Tonic' will disperse the alcohol in the drink and hence it will be absorbed faster into the bloodstream than the 'Gin' would be on it's own, also it's best not to mix different types of alcoholic drinks and always stick with the same one throughout the evening or party if you can.

It has been proven that a little alcohol is benificial to health, but be careful, make sure that you eat something at the same time as drinking any alcohol, remembering that 'dancing' will lower your B/G levels and without available Glucose it can be quite easy to drop the level and go Hypo.

Enjoy the Party - Lazybones

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, diet drinks and spirits are fine. As are dry whites and reds, but not rose. Beer is, very unfortunately, a big no-no. I avoid cocktails as they put syrups in and I find it difficult to judge the sugar content of all the ingredients.

I always make a point of telling the bar staff that I'm diabetic and they must use diet coke because I've lost count of the number of times they don't listen or don't care and just put full fat coke in. If you make a point of saying that you're diabetic, they're more likely to pay attention.

Make sure you take your meter out with you and test often, maybe every hour or so and take a form of glucose out with you. If you're completely smashed by the time you go to bed and you're in single figures, have some carby food. I decrease my morning Novorapid by 2 units if I had a session the night before. Oh and don't forget to take your long acting on time, so take it out with you if necessary.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good advice from Sam. I find drinking red wine as little effect on my bg, when I was a beer drinker my bg would plummet the following morning around 10am, as ever always throw caution to the wind and test wherever possible!

mpe

Lazybones said:
Dear Bri241295,
So if you decide to drink alcohol it is always advisable to eat something shortly before drinking any alcohol, as that will then absorb the alcohol in the stomach and hence slow down its release into the bloodstream (something like bread/toast/butter or dry biscuits are ideal).

All of these except the butter are less than idea from the sugar content POV.

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
I always thought alcohol would raise the blood sugar. I have never had a nightime hypo or woken up with really low blood sugar as a result of drinking. I have never checked my blood before going to bed after boozing, so I don't really know for sure.
I usually drink lager/Bud, never spirits but I do have a couple of Bailey's at the end of the evening, can anyone tell me if this is high in sugar (I know it would obviously seem to be, but you never know)?

Last edited by a moderator:

tgchand1

Hi
All the comments are OK in their own right but one size doesn't fit all. I feel any advice should separate the diabetics in to those on Insulin / those who are not and those who get Hypos/who don't.
I would like more info on "carbohydrates by difference" - to count calories from alcohol as sourced from Carbohydrate or not?
HbA1c was 70 in January and managed to bring it down to 49 in November by strict low carbohydrate diet with out changing tablets or life style.
T2 diabetic for 12 years, age 66
tgc

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
As a type 1 and borderline alcoholic (or maybe I'm just young and new to partying), I can safely say that contrary to what people preach about alcohol being a huge no-no for diabetics, most is fine. Things like Tia Maria and coke are going to be the worst. I take Humulin M3 and usually drink Jack Daniels or vodka with diet coke. HOWEVER. At bars, once every 2 drinks I have to order a regular coke with my spirits to keep my blood sugar from dropping. I've done nights out on pure diet mixers before and had hypos that were pretty bad after a few hours.

faygawith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a 20 year old student, i like to have a drink now and again. I find that the combination of drinking something like vodka diet coke and dancing can cause a drop in my blood sugar levels. So like Catsymoo said in the post above every 2 drinks I order a full sugar soft drink with vodka e.g lemonade.
I do find vodka diet coke very boring now, so i try and find alternatives. It annoys me how bars only really have diet coke as a low sugar alternative.
My number 1 rule after drinking is eat something containing carbohydrates when i get in from a night out, e.g. pizza or pasta. And i test quite alot the next day because blood sugar can still drop 16 hours after having your first drink.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One thing that irritates me is drink manufacturers aren't obliged to publish nutritional info on alcohol. Can't fathom why, it would be incredibly useful!