i wasnt being glib

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
if someone on here dosent answer 100% correctly, their time would be better spent finding out about diabetes, it the answers are 100% correct, whats the point of the survey is all i was saying, it would make more sense asking an uneducated audience, i also have an issue with the OP expecting the general public knowing about diabetes, why on earth would they? what do i know about multiple sclerosis? nothing! should i research about it in case i come across someone suffering with it or in case i one day get it? its ridiculous and conceitted to expect people that dont suffer from DB to understand it, imagine having to research all the things that could one day effect us, i didnt want to write this post but feel an explanation was in order as my reply wasnt taken too well, i may be wrong of course but its my opinion. i noticed many disagreed by their replies so i was more than happy to leave it alone, oh well

Reactions: 4 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, fully agree andy, if someone here doesn't know the answers to those questions they must be veru newly diagnosed or had an extremely bad dsn.
I often get rather annoyed to the ignorance of non diabetics then think about what I knew before being diagnosed, nothing at all.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Totally agree with what you're saying Andy-I researched my condition only when I was getting symptoms and then after diagnosis but before then I didn't have a scooby doo about DM apart from injections as why would I need to?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
HCPs certainly don't expect non Ds to be aware. I was (due to a friend having T1) so when I said I did know a little about it she just handed me a meter and left me to it! ( maybe why I never became indoctrinated by the NHS/DUK "cult"

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I had a long term T1 friend who let me have his spare meter when I developed symptoms but before then I didn't know much more than simply injections as he always kept details of his condition quiet and never really talked about it as he didn't want to be defined by it which I totally respected.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Like I said when the opportunity to help a hcp gain a better understanding of diabetes presents itself it seems wrong not to take the opportunity to impart people's real life experiences regardless of the validity of the underlying question or request in my opinion.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I've filled it in. It seems ok, but I think a more detailed question as to how many types of diabetes there are, might give a more enlightening result as to people's awareness of the broad spectrum of the condition....ummm, hope that makes sense! ;) Good luck with your dissertation.

faygawith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345
I am a Human Nutrition student and I am passionate about health promotion, I also have a keen interest in Diabetes. One day I hope to become a Diabetes Dietitian.
I will never give up trying to raise awareness of Diabetes. Therefore even if I raise awareness to the people that answer my questionnaire and choose to receive more information i.e the information leaflet, to me that is better than not raising awareness at all.

I realise you may not agree with some of the questions in my questionnaire or the fact I am posting it on this forum but after reading the answers people have given, (which up to now 50 people have participated in, in 5 hours) It has proved to me that awareness also needs to be raised amongst people with Diabetes.
Out of the 100 questionnaires I have sent out to the general public, very few of them have told me they would not like to receive anymore information, which means these people will have a better knowledge of Diabetes, as a result of the project.

I do appreciate your comments and I shall take them on board.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
matey im not having a dig at you, good luck with whatever you are doing, you could have looked at my comment as constructive (as it was meant)

best wishes and i hope you achieve what you are trying to

edit: if that is your intended profession, please do the world a favour and read the posts on this forum concerning dietary advice rather than following what every dietician i ever met did and talk nonsense, theres so much to learn from people that are actually dealing with this thing, and controlling it at complete odds with their dieticians advice, rather than the people printing the leaflets, again best of luck

2nd edit lol: not all, just the ones ive come across for myself and my daughter, i have been visiting dieticians at GOSH and UCH for many years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Filled in your questionnaire and hope it helps you in your dissertation....