• Start Date

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, CC

Yes, I'm giving up - as soon as I've finished the 5 bottles of red I've got left! :oops:

I cut down a lot in the 3 months before Christmas and felt much better for it. I slept better and felt more alert. Didn't lose any weight, though, because I was craving dark chocolate, which I believe contains the same bioflavonoids (?) or something. Also saved quite a bit of money.

Sorry about the typing - I've just got an aural migraine (no headache, just a sparkly ring centred in my left eye) - another thing I associate with too much alcohol, possibly because of dehydration.

Viv :cool:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've a few bottles of Coors Lite left, so after that, I think I'll abstain from buying any more.
Not to say my wife won't, so I doubt I'll manage to give up entirely, but I'll certainly be trying!

Interesting on bs levels, mine have crept up a bit over Xmas, the only real difference was a bit more dry/red wine and spirits, so I reckon they do push my bs up, despite being carb free.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Can't promise to quit but certainly cutting down by a lot. Hopefully this will help me lose a bit of timber as I'm pretty sure it's the beer !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All interesting findings Catherine. I only have a drink on a weekend so don't feel the need to abstain for a month, everything in moderation as we always say....

Reactions: 2 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Give up the G&T CC you must be kidding. Happy New Year btw. Still banging on about it ;)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I went to the dietician to try to help me put weight on she said a little alcohol may help so I aint giving up my red wine and dark choc at weekends for any month:)
Missed you Xyzzy
CAROL

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed type 2 back in July the bloods also indicated elevated liver hormones later found to be due to fatty liver. Since then I have cut down on alchol drastically and I will totally abstain for weeks at a time. I have lost 4.5stone in weight (also dieting and taking Metfoemin) and a recent liver function test was declared "normal". I will find out the effect on my BS in a fortnight when I visit the diabetes nurse. Certainly go steady on the booze (moderation in all things). My apperance has also improved from my avatar.
Cheers
Jack

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely not, I don't drink to excess so will carry on as usual:)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
None of the subjects in the new scientist article seems to drink to excess.
One of the main things my dietician hates is alcohol.

And
"The blood glucose levels of the abstainers dropped by 23 per cent on average, from 5.1 to 4.3 millimoles per litre. The normal range for blood glucose is between 3.9 and 5.6 mmol/l. "

Seems to be fairly significant to us.
Imagine what that would do ifyou gave up the carbs as well. Figures to dream of.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I gave up,alcohol 4 years ago and feel much better for it. No weight loss, sad to say, but that is down to other drug therapy I am on. Alcohol is a drug as is nicotine and for each of us to manage for ourselves.

Reactions: 4 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Passing my driving test 20+ years ago was the end of my alcohol drinking days
And getting married...the end of a social life.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
When I went to the dietician to try to help me put weight on she said a little alcohol may help so I aint giving up my red wine and dark choc at weekends for any month:)
Missed you Xyzzy
CAROL

Aw blushing now CAROL xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

QuirkyBit86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying to give up alcohol now. Christmas / New Year has highlighted how much it messes with my BS levels and depression. I tried a few nights sober and still had a good time, and didn't have the stress of having to deal with spiking bloodsugars after...and no hangover.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup both me and my partner have given it up for January, and have agreed that from February onwards we will restrict our drinking to weekends.

New Years resolution is also to restrict fizzy juice to weekends also. Stick to water and diluting during the week.

Interested to see if I find any benefits!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the main things my dietician hates is alcohol.

Just as well I have no intention of sharing a glass of wine with a dietician then LOL.

Seriously, alcohol does make my BG unpredictable. Not giving it up though!

Smidge

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
If I drank regularly I'd consider taking time out but I only had two glasses of wine and two malts during the Christmas/ New Year period, none of which made any difference to my BGs. Alcohol has never been a problem for me but food has! :shy:

desidiabulum

Well I just gave up alcohol and rich food for the Christmas and New Year period. I'd love to say that this showed my phenomenal will-power, but it was involuntary - my stomach gave me no choice. Sad to say, my BG levels did drop very nicely -- ****! But I shall be back on wine again shortly -- one has to compensate for other restrictions on diet somehow.

Reactions: 4 people