Apples

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reading a lot about how apples help to lower cholesterol .My BGs stay higher for about an extra hour after lunch if I have eaten an apple Now my question is does anyone know if different apples have a different effect on BGs in other words have some apples have more sugar than others
CAROL

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they do but you can only find out by testing. Rule of thumb would suggest that green apples are better than red apples, but it's not always the case. Mostly it depends on how they have been grown.

Fruits do contain carbs but, depending on what your levels are generally, they are still pretty good for foods. It really is a question of how good your control is. I stuck to northern european fruits, apples, pears, plums, berries etc and was careful with oranges and avoided things like melon, pineapple etc.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that I think that if I am having an apple after lunch I will limit my carbs as much as possible and test a bit more
CAROL

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apples do seem to vary in their effect on my levels. I usually have one a day with my evening meal and I find I can deal with Royal Gala quite well compared to some.

Angie