Low Carb Confused

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very similar to the figures I work to, no monitor on the resistance though, as I'm targeting the cardio at the moment, the resistance is just to give me a balance.

The main reason I use the monitor is that I like to let my heart rate drop between sets, I won' do the next set until my HR is back down to 110 from the 144-148 it can hit. Usually takes between 1-3min depending on how heavy the load is. i normally do 5 sets of 5 reps each for doing back squats, bench presses and Barbell rows, or back squats, overhead presses and deadlifts.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thankyou so if im 43, thats 220 - 43 = 177, if i did it right thats only 150.45 :( thats not alot! maybe i didnt do it right...anyone good at maths? lol

Your maths is fine for the 85% rate, but I know people who wont go that high and others who will go to 95% for one minute intervals
, given you have had BP issues in the past you might want to consider asking for a supervised VO2max test, they would then be able to tell you exactly what is safe for you, till then I would not go over the 85% mark for too long if I was you.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Your maths is fine for the 85% rate, but I know people who wont go that high and others who will go to 95% for one minute intervals
, given you have had BP issues in the past you might want to consider asking for a supervised VO2max test, they would then be able to tell you exactly what is safe for you, till then I would not go over the 85% mark for too long if I was you.

thankyou, any ideas where i get that test? itll cost no doubt?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
found a place in putney that isnt too far from me that does it for £200 thankyou, ill give it a try :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was arranged by my employer (its a long story) but I would think that your doctor may be able to refer you if you can show a real need to know such as training for a marathon.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make sure its properly medically supervised, I know some gyms will offer this but i don't know what would happen if somebody had a heart attack during the test, it's pretty intense!

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Dracula's BP and HR hardly register.

Just avoid the garlic Andy.

muhahaha i vant to dlink ze blood , but vill have to test avtervoods :jimlad:

lol thats twice ive needed a vampire smiley in the past week, what are the odds :) the pirate is not happy

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
muhahaha i vant to dlink ze blood , but vill have to test avtervoods :jimlad:

lol thats twice ive needed a vampire smiley in the past week, what are the odds :) the pirate is not happy
with the resting HR of a sleepy reptile I'm surprised you've got the energy to type !

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol, i feel fine, the wife reckons she coming to the marathon now..... so she can take me to the hospital when i have a heart attack lol now thats inspiring huh

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
I have just been advised to start a low carb diet to aid in my weight loss and am a looking for help and advise as don't know where to turn, I need to lose 5 stone, I have started doing more cardio to help this process. I am struggling to get an understanding of what I can eat for my meals and snacks I leave the house at 6am to go to the gym and workout for an hour before having breakfast then work in an office all day, arriving home about 6pm for my evening meal. Any information or links to information greatly appreciated someone did mention Slimming Worlds Red days as anyone tried this and had any success. Many Thanks

Hi Cratat,

Welcome to the low carb fun. I was similar to you a few months ago, and I had a success story (dropping over 4 stone) in 7 months and reversing the effects of T2 diabetes in the process. I'm going to try to give you the best advice I can from my experience. So here are the things that I found useful to know when starting out. Hopefully it's helpful :) :

Ketosis
This is the first two weeks of the diet. During this time you want to go as low carb as possible because you need to stop using carbs for energy and start using fats instead. This is the hardest part of the diet. You'll feel like **** because you're removing your energy source. Your body needs to adjust to 'uncarbed' energy. Most people quit at this stage because they feel sleepy or whatever. Don't quit! During ketosis, eat as much as you need. Eat a LOT of fats. Don't do too much exercise, your body needs time to adjust. So essentially for the first couple of weeks, you eat lots of fats, try to have less than 20g carbs a day (0 is better) and be as lazy as you want. The lower your carbs in the first two weeks, the faster your body will go into ketosis, which basically means using fats for energy.

After Ketosis
I stuck at 20g carbs a day because I found I could easily do that. You NEVER go hungry on this diet--eat when you are hungry. I never needed to count calories, I just kept my carbs low no matter what. You eat a lot of fats. Fats are good. Fats are energy to you now. Fats fill you up. The hardest part to get your head around is that fats are good. Once you get there, you find the dieting very easy.

Exercise
Yep, it's good to do this, but I'm a lazy sod who didn't do any. Seriously, there are snails who moved faster than I did on my diet. I still lost all my weight with no problems. Don't be a sloth like me, but you don't have to train for the Olympics either. Reasonable exercise should be fine. As my PE teacher once said in my year end report: "Claire excels at badmington because it's the sport that requires the least movement." Harsh, but true. Even so, I'm a size 12 now, which at 5'8" and being a sloth means the diet works with or without exercise. You'll be healthier with exercise of course. But one thing to remember, at 5 stone overweight, you're weightlifting all day, every day. Sometimes you have a good cardio just from walking around when you've got extra weight.

Diet
There are many foods you can eat on a low carb diet, so I've listed the main good foods and the main ones to avoid. In my experience, with a bit of baking, there aren't any foods you can't have, so I'll try to post up replacements next to the bad foods too.

Good Low Carb Foods - These are foods that have low or no carbs. You can eat as much as you want of them:
  • Meat, fish, poultry (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Red meat, white meat, it doesn't matter. They're all fat friendly, protein filled good things.)
  • Cheese, cream, butter, eggs (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of fats and proteins.)
  • Leafy green vegetables (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of vitamins, fibre and healthy nutrients.)
  • Salad vegetables (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of vitamins, fibre and healthy nutrients.)
  • Nuts (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full or protein, fats and vitamins. Check individual nuts, but peanuts and almonds etc. are all negligable carbs).
  • Berries (lowest carb fruits. Berries are the lowest carb fruits you can have, so if you're dying for some fruit, rasperries or strawberries (or any berries) are the best choice.
  • Haricot Beans (low carb, protein, fibre and vitamins - used to make baked beans).

A general rule of thumb on 'Good foods' are based on the low carb count and high nutrients. To find the net carbs you minus the Fibre from the Carbohydrate. So for example, a can of haricot beans had 21g carbs in it, but it has 19g of fibre. So the net carbs for the can is 2g carbs. You need to get into the habit of checking the carbs on everything.

Bad High Carb Foods - These are the ones you need to avoid:
  • Pre-made food. (Everything made by the food industry is loaded with carbs. You can't buy a salad without pasta in it. You can't buy a can of baked beans without 20g of sugar in it.)
  • Bread. (Most breads have a stupidly high amount of carbs in).
  • Baked goods (pies, pasties etc. You can make your own low carb ones, but bought ones suck).
  • Cakes, crisps, chocolate, cookies (Only edible if you make your own or buy low carb ones).
  • Potatoes (the most unhealthy vegetable on the planet).
  • Sugar - This is one thing you avoid at all costs
  • Starch - This is the other thing you avoid at all costs.

Foods you wouldn't think were good, but...

• Chocolate (low carb milk chocolate is 1g-3g net carbs per bar. Dark chocolate is usually negligable carbs. Chocolate has iron, vitamins and all kinds of good stuff in it. Just avoid the sugar and starch-filled bars (Look for Atkins bars or no added sugar/low carb ones).
  • Chocolate eclairs - ranging from 7g - 12g carbs, one of these is actually an okay treat after ketosis. It's better for you than a piece of bread is.
  • An entire turkey cooked in fats - 0 carbs. Enjoy!
  • Surf n turf - 0 carbs.
  • Bacon and eggs - 0 carbs
  • BLT (take off the bread and eat the rest - 0 carbs)
  • A bacon double cheese burger (Remove bread bun, throw away fries and eat the burger, cheese and bacon 0 carbs.)
  • Mixed Grill from a kebab takeaway (0 carbs)

Food that you think is good, but...

• Breakfast cereal (designed by the devil. Avoid like the plague)
  • Low fat (anything with the words 'low fat' on it is overloaded with carbs. It's designed to make you hungry and fat).
  • Pasta, rice, breads (carb, carb, carb)
  • Milk (use whole fat or cream. Cream is better on the carbs).
  • Citrus fruit (Engineered to have more sugar in it. A satsuma is not a fruit. It's a lump of sugar disguised as one). You need to be wary of most fruits.
  • Yoghurt (unless it's greek, it's going to be low fat and carb-filled)
  • Potatoes (worst vegetable ever).

What the hell can I eat? Food Alternatives
  • Replace sugar with Splenda or Stevia or a sweetener of your choice.
  • Potatoes can be replaced with a vegetable called a Daikon. Tastes the same but without the starch. It won't fry into a decent chip unfortunately, but mashed daikon is pretty much a mashed potato with no carbs.
  • Slim Pasta - 0 carbs. Tastes like pasta, looks like pasta, is actually a vegetable. Great stuff to try.
  • Bread - There are lots of low carb bread recipes. I like mine best of course :p.
  • Flour - Carbquik is good for pastry. For bread you can also use Allinson's wholemeal flour and wheat bran to make a high fibre bread with low carbs. Almond or coconut flour works great in cakes and scones.
  • Pies, pastries and cakes - Low carb flour and some of the great recipes online.
  • Sweets, chocolates etc - low carb chocolate bars are really yummy. I like the chocolate orange from Cavalier (called Woodies). It's nicer than the other chocolate orange and 1g net carbs per bar.
  • Creamy desserts - oh hell yes! Pavlova with berries, cream and low carb meringue. Low carb cream dougnuts, low carb cream scones -- okay you need to make them yourself, but it doesn't mean you can't have them.

My favourite place to buy low carb things when I CBA to cook: www.avidlite.co.uk

Pretty much, barring crisps and chips, there isn't anything I haven't found a food replacement for. Anyway, I hope all this helps :)

I think my favourite lesson on this diet was that I could eat cream cakes all day and lose weight. :D Try lots of recipes. There are some amazing ones out there, and there are so many things that you can eat on this diet. Good luck on it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 15 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Cratat,

Welcome to the low carb fun. I was similar to you a few months ago, and I had a success story (dropping over 4 stone) in 7 months and reversing the effects of T2 diabetes in the process. I'm going to try to give you the best advice I can from my experience. So here are the things that I found useful to know when starting out. Hopefully it's helpful :) :

Ketosis
This is the first two weeks of the diet. During this time you want to go as low carb as possible because you need to stop using carbs for energy and start using fats instead. This is the hardest part of the diet. You'll feel like **** because you're removing your energy source. Your body needs to adjust to 'uncarbed' energy. Most people quit at this stage because they feel sleepy or whatever. Don't quit! During ketosis, eat as much as you need. Eat a LOT of fats. Don't do too much exercise, your body needs time to adjust. So essentially for the first couple of weeks, you eat lots of fats, try to have less than 20g carbs a day (0 is better) and be as lazy as you want. The lower your carbs in the first two weeks, the faster your body will go into ketosis, which basically means using fats for energy.

After Ketosis
I stuck at 20g carbs a day because I found I could easily do that. You NEVER go hungry on this diet--eat when you are hungry. I never needed to count calories, I just kept my carbs low no matter what. You eat a lot of fats. Fats are good. Fats are energy to you now. Fats fill you up. The hardest part to get your head around is that fats are good. Once you get there, you find the dieting very easy.

Exercise
Yep, it's good to do this, but I'm a lazy sod who didn't do any. Seriously, there are snails who moved faster than I did on my diet. I still lost all my weight with no problems. Don't be a sloth like me, but you don't have to train for the Olympics either. Reasonable exercise should be fine. As my PE teacher once said in my year end report: "Claire excels at badmington because it's the sport that requires the least movement." Harsh, but true. Even so, I'm a size 12 now, which at 5'8" and being a sloth means the diet works with or without exercise. You'll be healthier with exercise of course. But one thing to remember, at 5 stone overweight, you're weightlifting all day, every day. Sometimes you have a good cardio just from walking around when you've got extra weight.

Diet
There are many foods you can eat on a low carb diet, so I've listed the main good foods and the main ones to avoid. In my experience, with a bit of baking, there aren't any foods you can't have, so I'll try to post up replacements next to the bad foods too.

Good Low Carb Foods - These are foods that have low or no carbs. You can eat as much as you want of them:
  • Meat, fish, poultry (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Red meat, white meat, it doesn't matter. They're all fat friendly, protein filled good things.)
  • Cheese, cream, butter, eggs (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of fats and proteins.)
  • Leafy green vegetables (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of vitamins, fibre and healthy nutrients.)
  • Salad vegetables (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of vitamins, fibre and healthy nutrients.)
  • Nuts (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full or protein, fats and vitamins. Check individual nuts, but peanuts and almonds etc. are all negligable carbs).
  • Berries (lowest carb fruits. Berries are the lowest carb fruits you can have, so if you're dying for some fruit, rasperries or strawberries (or any berries) are the best choice.
  • Haricot Beans (low carb, protein, fibre and vitamins - used to make baked beans).
A general rule of thumb on 'Good foods' are based on the low carb count and high nutrients. To find the net carbs you minus the Fibre from the Carbohydrate. So for example, a can of haricot beans had 21g carbs in it, but it has 19g of fibre. So the net carbs for the can is 2g carbs. You need to get into the habit of checking the carbs on everything.

Bad High Carb Foods - These are the ones you need to avoid:
  • Pre-made food. (Everything made by the food industry is loaded with carbs. You can't buy a salad with pasta in it. You can't buy a can of baked beans without 20g of sugar in it.)
  • Bread. (Most breads have a stupidly high amount of carbs in).
  • Baked goods (pies, pasties etc. You can make your own low carb ones, but bought ones suck).
  • Cakes, crisps, chocolate, cookies (Only edible if you make your own or buy low carb ones).
  • Potatoes (the most unhealthy vegetable on the planet).
  • Sugar - This is one thing you avoid at all costs
  • Starch - This is the other thing you avoid at all costs.
  • Chocolate (low carb milk chocolate is 1g-3g net carbs per bar. Dark chocolate is usually negligable carbs. Chocolate has iron, vitamins and all kinds of good stuff in it. Just avoid the sugar and starch-filled bars (Look for Atkins bars or no added sugar/low carb ones).
  • Chocolate eclairs - ranging from 7g - 12g carbs, one of these is actually an okay treat after ketosis. It's better for you than a piece of bread is.
  • An entire turkey cooked in fats - 0 carbs. Enjoy!
  • Surf n turf - 0 carbs.
  • Bacon and eggs - 0 carbs
  • BLT (take off the bread and eat the rest - 0 carbs)
  • A bacon double cheese burger (Remove bread bun, throw away fries and eat the burger, cheese and bacon 0 carbs.)
Food that you think is good, but...
  • Breakfast cereal (designed by the devil. Avoid like the plague)
  • Low fat (anything with the words 'low fat' on it is overloaded with carbs. It's designed to make you hungry and fat).
  • Pasta, rice, breads (carb, carb, carb)
  • Milk (use whole fat or cream. Cream is better on the carbs).
  • Citrus fruit (Engineered to have more sugar in it. A satsuma is not a fruit. It's a lump of sugar disguised as one). You need to be wary of most fruits.
  • Yoghurt (unless it's greek, it's going to be low fat and carb-filled)
  • Potatoes (worst vegetable ever).
What the hell can I eat? Food Alternatives...
  • Replace sugar with Splenda or Stevia or a sweetener of your choice.
  • Potatoes can be replaced with a vegetable called a Daikon. Tastes the same but without the starch. It won't fry into a decent chip unfortunately, but mashed daikon is pretty much a mashed potato with no carbs.
  • Slim Pasta - 0 carbs. Tastes like pasta, looks like pasta, is actually a vegetable. Great stuff to try.
  • Bread - There are lots of low carb bread recipes. I like mine best of course :p.
  • Flour - Carbquik is goof for pastry. For bread you can also use Allinson's wholemeal flour and wheat bran to make a high fibre bread with low carbs. Almond or coconut flour works great in cakes and scones.
  • Pies, pastries and cakes - Low carb flour and some of the great recipes online.
  • Sweets, chocolates etc - low carb chocolate bars are really yummy. I like the chocolate orange from Cavalier (called Woodies). It's nicer than the other chocolate orange and 1g net carbs per bar.
  • Creamy desserts - oh hell yes! Pavlova with berries, cream and low carb meringue. Low carb cream dougnuts, low carb cream scones -- okay you need to make them yourself, but it doesn't mean you can't have them.
My favourite place to buy low carb things when I CBA to cook: www.avidlite.co.uk

Pretty much, barring crisps and chips, there isn't anything I haven't found a food replacement for. Anyway, I hope all this helps :)

I think my favourite lesson on this diet was that I could eat cream cakes all day and lose weight. :D Try lots of recipes. There are some amazing ones out there, and there are so many things that you can eat on this diet. Good luck on it :)

So that's the breakfast list, what do you eat for lunch?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank goodness for JD Weatherspoons large mixed grill. Basically you can eat all of it except for the chips and for a town centre pub, it's a safe haven in a sea of carb infested waters.

Reactions: 8 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank goodness for JD Weatherspoons large mixed grill. Basically you can eat all of it except for the chips and for a town centre pub, it's a safe haven in a sea of carb infested waters.

Truck stop cafe I stopped at occasionally, - wonder if they would fry a few slices of livlife with the all day breakfast?
3 fried eggs, 6 rashers, 3 sausage, black pudding, fried mushrooms, fried tomato, and oddly enough, deep fired onion rings.
Suppose the onion rings are off now.

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours

My only regret as a veggie is that I stare at a Cesar salad while my other half is tucking into a mixed grill at Wetherspoons lol.