Low Carb Confused

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My only regret as a veggie is that I stare at a Cesar salad while my other half is tucking into a mixed grill at Wetherspoons lol.

So you don't actually eat what you have put up there as a recommendation to others?
You're actually on a veggie diet?
And that's what you lost the weight on?

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
So you don't actually eat what you have put up there as a recommendation to others?
You're actually on a veggie diet?
And that's what you lost the weight on?

Why are your comments giving off this troll vibe? It's interesting. As an author who's outed all the major trolls on Amazon, I'm looking forward to see what I can expose in the food industry next. -studies you closely-

I don't eat meat. I eat everything else in my list and listed meat incase the new member was a meat eater. I create recipes for both diets because my fiancé does eat meat and is also on a low carb diet. I believe there are also thousands of low carb dieters who can attest to how good meat is for someone on a low carb diet. It doesn't have any carbs in it. So not to be rude, but what exactly is your point?

Reactions: 9 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't eat meat. I eat everything else in my list and listed meat incase the new member was a meat eater. I create recipes for both diets because my fiancé does eat meat and is also on a low carb diet. I believe there are also thousands of low carb dieters who can attest to how good meat is for someone on a low carb diet. It doesn't have any carbs in it.

Seems fair to me! This is the low carb forum after all, I'm not sure that it matters whether you eat meat or not (i do).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi Cratat,

Welcome to the low carb fun. I was similar to you a few months ago, and I had a success story (dropping over 4 stone) in 7 months and reversing the effects of T2 diabetes in the process. I'm going to try to give you the best advice I can from my experience. So here are the things that I found useful to know when starting out. Hopefully it's helpful :) :

Ketosis
This is the first two weeks of the diet. During this time you want to go as low carb as possible because you need to stop using carbs for energy and start using fats instead. This is the hardest part of the diet. You'll feel like **** because you're removing your energy source. Your body needs to adjust to 'uncarbed' energy. Most people quit at this stage because they feel sleepy or whatever. Don't quit! During ketosis, eat as much as you need. Eat a LOT of fats. Don't do too much exercise, your body needs time to adjust. So essentially for the first couple of weeks, you eat lots of fats, try to have less than 20g carbs a day (0 is better) and be as lazy as you want. The lower your carbs in the first two weeks, the faster your body will go into ketosis, which basically means using fats for energy.

After Ketosis
I stuck at 20g carbs a day because I found I could easily do that. You NEVER go hungry on this diet--eat when you are hungry. I never needed to count calories, I just kept my carbs low no matter what. You eat a lot of fats. Fats are good. Fats are energy to you now. Fats fill you up. The hardest part to get your head around is that fats are good. Once you get there, you find the dieting very easy.

Exercise
Yep, it's good to do this, but I'm a lazy sod who didn't do any. Seriously, there are snails who moved faster than I did on my diet. I still lost all my weight with no problems. Don't be a sloth like me, but you don't have to train for the Olympics either. Reasonable exercise should be fine. As my PE teacher once said in my year end report: "Claire excels at badmington because it's the sport that requires the least movement." Harsh, but true. Even so, I'm a size 12 now, which at 5'8" and being a sloth means the diet works with or without exercise. You'll be healthier with exercise of course. But one thing to remember, at 5 stone overweight, you're weightlifting all day, every day. Sometimes you have a good cardio just from walking around when you've got extra weight.

Diet
There are many foods you can eat on a low carb diet, so I've listed the main good foods and the main ones to avoid. In my experience, with a bit of baking, there aren't any foods you can't have, so I'll try to post up replacements next to the bad foods too.

Good Low Carb Foods - These are foods that have low or no carbs. You can eat as much as you want of them:
  • Meat, fish, poultry (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Red meat, white meat, it doesn't matter. They're all fat friendly, protein filled good things.)
  • Cheese, cream, butter, eggs (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of fats and proteins.)
  • Leafy green vegetables (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of vitamins, fibre and healthy nutrients.)
  • Salad vegetables (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full of vitamins, fibre and healthy nutrients.)
  • Nuts (0 carbs, eat as much as you want. Full or protein, fats and vitamins. Check individual nuts, but peanuts and almonds etc. are all negligable carbs).
  • Berries (lowest carb fruits. Berries are the lowest carb fruits you can have, so if you're dying for some fruit, rasperries or strawberries (or any berries) are the best choice.
  • Haricot Beans (low carb, protein, fibre and vitamins - used to make baked beans).

A general rule of thumb on 'Good foods' are based on the low carb count and high nutrients. To find the net carbs you minus the Fibre from the Carbohydrate. So for example, a can of haricot beans had 21g carbs in it, but it has 19g of fibre. So the net carbs for the can is 2g carbs. You need to get into the habit of checking the carbs on everything.

Bad High Carb Foods - These are the ones you need to avoid:
  • Pre-made food. (Everything made by the food industry is loaded with carbs. You can't buy a salad without pasta in it. You can't buy a can of baked beans without 20g of sugar in it.)
  • Bread. (Most breads have a stupidly high amount of carbs in).
  • Baked goods (pies, pasties etc. You can make your own low carb ones, but bought ones suck).
  • Cakes, crisps, chocolate, cookies (Only edible if you make your own or buy low carb ones).
  • Potatoes (the most unhealthy vegetable on the planet).
  • Sugar - This is one thing you avoid at all costs
  • Starch - This is the other thing you avoid at all costs.
Foods you wouldn't think were good, but...
  • Chocolate (low carb milk chocolate is 1g-3g net carbs per bar. Dark chocolate is usually negligable carbs. Chocolate has iron, vitamins and all kinds of good stuff in it. Just avoid the sugar and starch-filled bars (Look for Atkins bars or no added sugar/low carb ones).
  • Chocolate eclairs - ranging from 7g - 12g carbs, one of these is actually an okay treat after ketosis. It's better for you than a piece of bread is.
  • An entire turkey cooked in fats - 0 carbs. Enjoy!
  • Surf n turf - 0 carbs.
  • Bacon and eggs - 0 carbs
  • BLT (take off the bread and eat the rest - 0 carbs)
  • A bacon double cheese burger (Remove bread bun, throw away fries and eat the burger, cheese and bacon 0 carbs.)
  • Mixed Grill from a kebab takeaway (0 carbs)
Food that you think is good, but...
  • Breakfast cereal (designed by the devil. Avoid like the plague)
  • Low fat (anything with the words 'low fat' on it is overloaded with carbs. It's designed to make you hungry and fat).
  • Pasta, rice, breads (carb, carb, carb)
  • Milk (use whole fat or cream. Cream is better on the carbs).
  • Citrus fruit (Engineered to have more sugar in it. A satsuma is not a fruit. It's a lump of sugar disguised as one). You need to be wary of most fruits.
  • Yoghurt (unless it's greek, it's going to be low fat and carb-filled)
  • Potatoes (worst vegetable ever).
What the hell can I eat? Food Alternatives...
  • Replace sugar with Splenda or Stevia or a sweetener of your choice.
  • Potatoes can be replaced with a vegetable called a Daikon. Tastes the same but without the starch. It won't fry into a decent chip unfortunately, but mashed daikon is pretty much a mashed potato with no carbs.
  • Slim Pasta - 0 carbs. Tastes like pasta, looks like pasta, is actually a vegetable. Great stuff to try.
  • Bread - There are lots of low carb bread recipes. I like mine best of course :p.
  • Flour - Carbquik is good for pastry. For bread you can also use Allinson's wholemeal flour and wheat bran to make a high fibre bread with low carbs. Almond or coconut flour works great in cakes and scones.
  • Pies, pastries and cakes - Low carb flour and some of the great recipes online.
  • Sweets, chocolates etc - low carb chocolate bars are really yummy. I like the chocolate orange from Cavalier (called Woodies). It's nicer than the other chocolate orange and 1g net carbs per bar.
  • Creamy desserts - oh hell yes! Pavlova with berries, cream and low carb meringue. Low carb cream dougnuts, low carb cream scones -- okay you need to make them yourself, but it doesn't mean you can't have them.

My favourite place to buy low carb things when I CBA to cook: www.avidlite.co.uk

Pretty much, barring crisps and chips, there isn't anything I haven't found a food replacement for. Anyway, I hope all this helps :)

I think my favourite lesson on this diet was that I could eat cream cakes all day and lose weight. :D Try lots of recipes. There are some amazing ones out there, and there are so many things that you can eat on this diet. Good luck on it :)

Wonderful, thank you :)

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why are your comments giving off this troll vibe? It's interesting. As an author who's outed all the major trolls on Amazon, I'm looking forward to see what I can expose in the food industry next. -studies you closely-

I don't eat meat. I eat everything else in my list and listed meat incase the new member was a meat eater. I create recipes for both diets because my fiancé does eat meat and is also on a low carb diet. I believe there are also thousands of low carb dieters who can attest to how good meat is for someone on a low carb diet. It doesn't have any carbs in it. So not to be rude, but what exactly is your point?

Very keen and very quick to bring up troll?
Any reason for that?

Does it not seem fair to clarify that you don't actually eat the diet you advocate, and would actually have no first hand experience of it?

You're an author whose ousted all the major trolls of amazon?
Is that relevant to the fact you don't eat what you advise?
Or a threat if I ask you to clarify anything else?

But then, leaving that, saying are you are an author keen to expose the food industry, and obviously the truth comes first,
maybe you should have expanded the cream cake advice, and possibly add that the processed gunk made from an emulsion of milk products and sugar and assorted gunk, can still be classed as cream, the sugary "chocolate" isn't "chocolate". and the 11g of carbs are over half pure sugar?

As to the

• A bacon double cheese burger (Remove bread bun, throw away fries and eat the burger, cheese and bacon 0 carbs.)
  • Mixed Grill from a kebab takeaway (0 carbs)
You're the author who's obviously researched the nutritional value of these meals, but a McDonalds without the bun, and a kebab without the pitta probably wouldn't be my best choice for a healthy diet even now.

As with everyone on here, I welcome a sensible discussion, and any references to facts made on here as a good way to increase all our knowledge, so I'm sure you can respond, without merely calling me a troll again.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Saw your last post before you deleted it Douglas...a bit odd and off topic but anyhow.

I've long realised that you totally disapprove of a LCHF way of control and that is totally your choice and fair play but why do you seem obsessed with it if you don't follow it and have no intention of doing so? I remember all the complications of a ketogenic diet such as osteoporosis and kidney stones that you implied in a thread last year-what was your angle?

I saw your reply to Claire87 as sarcastic at best and considering this is the low carb forum which is something of which you don't appear to approve of-did you really expect positive comments and thank-yous for being so negative towards a great post?

Reactions: 10 people

fatbird

"I've long realised that you totally disapprove of a LCHF way of control and that is totally your choice and fair play but why do you seem obsessed with it if you don't follow it and have no intention of doing so?"

The list of members with the same attitude is long. Let each to their own, whatever works for you stay with it. Low carb high fat works for many members of the forum, what's the problem?

FB

Reactions: 4 people

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Great thread Clair, someone who fell off the wagon, then cliff over Xmas, this is exactly what I needed to get back on track. Well done and thank you.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Remember this?

upload_2014-1-5_17-7-56.png

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you want to carry on that particular discussion, let's move back to the original thread.

fatbird

"It was only a matter of time. Low carb discussions always end up like this. Heated, accusatory and pointless"

True. Why do you think that is mo?

Type two diabetes is considered by many a lifestyle disease, why not reverse the situation with lifestyle changes rather than drugs.

FB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Not sure really. It just always happens when discussing low carbs lol ! Shame really as a people just switch off. Newbies may be missing out on good knowledge.

Reactions: 7 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
"

Type two diabetes is considered by many a lifestyle disease, why not reverse the situation with lifestyle changes rather than drugs.

FB

I agree with you FB but with one proviso. Many T2 people arrive here after being diabetic for a long time and may be in the position of not having much pancreatic function left so while lc may help a bit with their bgs they may not be able to completely do away with meds.

If you are a newly diagnosed T2 then in all likelihood your pancreas is producing loads of insulin in its attempt to overcome insulin resistance and is being overworked. In this case lc is by far the best choice over meds as it will allow you to get normal bgs and give you pancreas a well deserved holiday.

Reactions: 2 people

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Great thread Clair, someone who fell off the wagon, then cliff over Xmas, this is exactly what I needed to get back on track. Well done and thank you.

Thanks, I'm glad it helped. I hope you get back on the wagon okay and just shout if you need any recipes. It's all about finding your favourite meals in a no carb way. Everyone likes different things, but there's always something you can make it work with :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
You lost me when you implied I was a troll. You see to be a troll you have to jump into someone else's conversation and start a flame war. I joined this conversation to help someone who asked for help with, what I hoped, was useful advice.

You however started talking to me so that you could nitpick at every word I said in a derogatory manner. Save your snark, or I'll just start calling you Mr Kellogg as I'll assume you work for him and are trying to stop your failing brand from dying out.

What possible reason would someone have for coming to a low carb forum for diabetics and snarking at low carb diets? WHAT POSSIBLE REASON? Let me think, what would cause a person to misinform and attack people who are unwell, or as in this case, attack people who try to help them?

Hmm? Let me think. Is it money? Do you get paid to misinform? That's the only logical reason I can come up with. Well it's that or mental instability, but you don't seem mentally unstable, so let's assume your actions are logical shall we?

If you simply hate low carb diets, then I believe there is a low fat forum just over there *points* where I'm sure your snarky comments will be much loved.

But alas, to me you are now just Mr Kellogg, with your crusty cereal lies and handlebar moustache.

And by the way, that's a traditionally published author with the big 6, just for the record.

LMAO!!!!!!!!! Brilliant

Reactions: 5 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Discussing LCHF on a low carb thread Mo, How un-natural.
Why should we have the affrontery to defend LC?

Reactions: 5 people