Low Carb Confused

equipoise

Could we suggest that Douglas simply didn't notice that it was on the low carb forum (I often forget to check when looking at 'recent posts') and move on?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You lost me when you implied I was a troll. You see to be a troll you have to jump into someone else's conversation and start a flame war. I joined this conversation to help someone who asked for help with, what I hoped, was useful advice.

You however started talking to me so that you could nitpick at every word I said in a derogatory manner. Save your snark, or I'll just start calling you Mr Kellogg as I'll assume you work for him and are trying to stop your failing brand from dying out.

What possible reason would someone have for coming to a low carb forum for diabetics and snarking at low carb diets? WHAT POSSIBLE REASON? Let me think, what would cause a person to misinform and attack people who are unwell, or as in this case, attack people who try to help them?

Hmm? Let me think. Is it money? Do you get paid to misinform? That's the only logical reason I can come up with. Well it's that or mental instability, but you don't seem mentally unstable, so let's assume your actions are logical shall we?

If you simply hate low carb diets, then I believe there is a low fat forum just over there *points* where I'm sure your snarky comments will be much loved.

But alas, to me you are now just Mr Kellogg, with your crusty cereal lies and handlebar moustache.

And by the way, that's a traditionally published author with the big 6, just for the record.

Fair enough, Mrs McDonald.

But as I've always said, I appreciate a good low carb diet, but done correctly.
I'm sure one day I will end on one.

Possibly we should agree to end the name calling now?
Final shot to you obviously.

Reactions: 5 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
usually ends up name calling, being accused of lying, even when simply pointing out simple truths that some do not wish to hear then saying did not accuse of lying, figure that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Could we suggest that Douglas simply didn't notice that it was on the low carb forum (I often forget to check when looking at 'recent posts') and move on?

Actually, I have to put my hand up and admit I didn't, I picked it up off the recent posts.
I would probably have said much the same though.
It's the implication gluttony is still not bad so long as it's lchf, whereas the old hands themselves will admit they don't gorge anymore, and portion control is still a part of the lchf lifestyle.
Newbies need to know lchf isn't a free pass, it's only part of the required lifestyle change, and I honestly would still have commented on any diet of any type that advocated processed burgers, kebab meat, and processed cream cakes.
No apologies for that, fresh food, not processed, whatever the diet.

Reactions: 2 people

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
If someone asks for help with a low carb diet on the low carb forums, they should get help. There's no need for all this snark. It's like a forum disease.
Fair enough, Mrs McDonald.

But as I've always said, I appreciate a good low carb diet, but done correctly.
I'm sure one day I will end on one.

Possibly we should agree to end the name calling now?
Final shot to you obviously.

I just believe that if someone asks for help on a low carb forum, then they should get help. That's what I came here to do, and when I was diagnosed diabetic, that's what I needed and found in the wonderful people on this forum. If you were unhappy with my list of foods, I had no problem with you mentioning the ones you wouldn't recommend. That would have been constructive and helpful to the person who posed the original question.

I personally feel that not all people find diets easy. So in terms of first time T2 diabetes, kicking the carbs is the main thing to focus on. Better to have a macD if it means they stick with the diet long enough to embrace it as a lifestyle.

I wasn't perfect when I started my diet. I smoked, didn't do exercise and ate badly of course. I couldn't have quit everything on day one, so I started on carbs. But I quit smoking once I was confident on the diet and replaced the smoking with exercise. Some people do better taking it one step at a time.

My problem is not your opinion on food. It was how you responded. You didn't mention food or anything constructive. You were just snarky without reason. So, in a rather childish response, I slapped you for it. But I'm happy to leave it at that if you are.

Reactions: 4 people

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Actually, I have to put my hand up and admit I didn't, I picked it up off the recent posts.
I would probably have said much the same though.
It's the implication gluttony is still not bad so long as it's lchf, whereas the old hands themselves will admit they don't gorge anymore, and portion control is still a part of the lchf lifestyle.
Newbies need to know lchf isn't a free pass, it's only part of the required lifestyle change, and I honestly would still have commented on any diet of any type that advocated processed burgers, kebab meat, and processed cream cakes.
No apologies for that, fresh food, not processed, whatever the diet.

What processed cream cakes? I said make your own. Also, I established that I wasn't an expert in meat. This could have been mentioned in your first message rather than a nasty comment about vegitarians giving advice.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, the other danger often not pointed out on low carb threads is if on any blood lowering meds, consult your dsn, consultant before starting so they can advise appropriate med reduction in advance. as well as advising to test for ketones if planning on a ketogenic one and discussing safe levels and signs to look for if it turns ketoacidic. Can have raised ketones as long as enough insulin is present and sufficiently processed. If already in ketosis a simple fall off the wagon could be very dangerous.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Claire,
don't worry about it!
I've been on this forum since~ 2008 and it seems like tradition, LCHF things get discussed, non LCs get involved, fights occur.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Please - can we all get back to helping each other 'out' here :)
It is far more positive, productive and supportive folks !

Reactions: 3 people

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Claire,
don't worry about it!
I've been on this forum since~ 2008 and it seems like tradition, LCHF things get discussed, non LCs get involved, fights occur.

Thanks, I still think it's insane though. I guess I don't understand the anger part. Everyone here has suffered from diabetes in some way. Everyone here is going through or has gone through the lifestyle changes that come with it. When I see someone asking a question or finding it difficult, I want to help them the way that others helped me.

You help people all the time on here. I know you helped me on the cholesterol question I had. I guess, I just get surprised when I see people being mean rather than supportive, especially on a thread like this one. All I can think is what is the poor person who asked the initial question thinking right now? They ask for help and get crazy people fighting over the issue instead? That's not fair. They actually need good advice. If people have good advice to give (even Douglas) then give it.

I just don't think it's a good place for the 'I know more than you do' argument, which is what I think the non-LC battle is about.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What processed cream cakes? I said make your own. Also, I established that I wasn't an expert in meat. This could have been mentioned in your first message rather than a nasty comment about vegitarians giving advice.

Your words....

"Foods you wouldn't think were good, but...

Chocolate eclairs - ranging from 7g - 12g carbs"

And which one is true here?

"Yep, it's good to do this, but I'm a lazy sod who didn't do any. Seriously, there are snails who moved faster than I did on my diet. I still lost all my weight with no problems. Don't be a sloth like me, but you don't have to train for the Olympics either. Reasonable exercise should be fine. As my PE teacher once said in my year end report: "Claire excels at badmington because it's the sport that requires the least movement." Harsh, but true. Even so, I'm a size 12 now, which at 5'8" and being a sloth means the diet works with or without exercise. You'll be healthier with exercise of course. But one thing to remember, at 5 stone overweight, you're weightlifting all day, every day. Sometimes you have a good cardio just from walking around when you've got extra weight.

"But I quit smoking once I was confident on the diet and replaced the smoking with exercise."

To start again then,
why don't you just tell us the veggie diet that actually worked personally for you, and the exercise you actually did. That would help people.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Douglas-wouldn't it be better to start a new thread in the soapbox forum rather than this?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas-wouldn't it be better to start a new thread in the soapbox forum rather than this?

Why?
Claire has had a good success, it would be good to hear what worked for her.
A general composite diet could be in the soapbox area though.

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Your words....

"Foods you wouldn't think were good, but...

Chocolate eclairs - ranging from 7g - 12g carbs"

And which one is true here?

"Yep, it's good to do this, but I'm a lazy sod who didn't do any. Seriously, there are snails who moved faster than I did on my diet. I still lost all my weight with no problems. Don't be a sloth like me, but you don't have to train for the Olympics either. Reasonable exercise should be fine. As my PE teacher once said in my year end report: "Claire excels at badmington because it's the sport that requires the least movement." Harsh, but true. Even so, I'm a size 12 now, which at 5'8" and being a sloth means the diet works with or without exercise. You'll be healthier with exercise of course. But one thing to remember, at 5 stone overweight, you're weightlifting all day, every day. Sometimes you have a good cardio just from walking around when you've got extra weight.

"But I quit smoking once I was confident on the diet and replaced the smoking with exercise."

To start again then,
why don't you just tell us the veggie diet that actually worked personally for you, and the exercise you actually did. That would help people.

Ohh Douglas, you've resorted to quoting me.

Okay, let's do this -shakes head-.

You're quoting eclairs as bad food when I listed it as a one off treat after ketosis. Let's see: cream (good), chocolate (good), some sugars (bad), the pastry (a tiny amount of starch). It's high fat though, so it's filling. Like I said: "It's better than a piece of bread." In fact, I'll go one better. "It's better than a piece of Nimble bread and a lot more filling. Oh, and it tastes great."

On the exercise, you need to examine the tense. There is a difference between past and present. "There are snails who moved faster than I did." DID, in the past that is. That's actually the only reference to my exercise.

And onto vegetarians... A vegetarian diet is the worst diet to have as low carber. Vegetarians need to eat more carbs to survive healthily, and will find it harder to lose weight. Even on Atkins, they recommend more carbs each day for a vegetarian because you need the proteins. So, by stating that a vegetarian would have an 'easier time losing weight on this diet' proves that you clearly have no understanding of vegetarian nutritional needs. It's actually more difficult for vegetarians to lose weight on this diet, and eating cream and cheese is a good way for a vegetarian to keep their fats and proteins high enough. If you're claming that I lost weight because I'm a vegetarian, excuse me while I wet myself laughing. I've been a vegetarian since I was five years old. I KNOW you don't lose weight as a vegetarian.

Last edited by a moderator:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I have just been advised to start a low carb diet to aid in my weight loss and am a looking for help and advise as don't know where to turn, I need to lose 5 stone, I have started doing more cardio to help this process. I am struggling to get an understanding of what I can eat for my meals and snacks I leave the house at 6am to go to the gym and workout for an hour before having breakfast then work in an office all day, arriving home about 6pm for my evening meal. Any information or links to information greatly appreciated someone did mention Slimming Worlds Red days as anyone tried this and had any success. Many Thanks
Here is the OP - just to update 'all' on the topic choice/title , on this thread .

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was only a matter of time. Low carb discussions always end up like this. Heated, accusatory and pointless.

And counterproductive, If a post is made in the low carb forum by a low carber then to post something that questions the whole ethos seems to me to be rather vexatious, if not boring. Getting to the point where I am considering whether I want to post anything on the subject at all.