Frozen Shoulder moan/query

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a frozen shoulder in left side many years ago, never got full mobility back, blamed it on when I lifted a patient in work, pain was awful. Had liads physio, 2 cortisone injections.least it only has minimal pain if I sleep on that side. Now for past 8 months have had very painful right shoulder, after gardening last May-ish. Had physio, cortisone injections, accupuncture. Taking Zapain all the time, in a lot if pain at night/morning especially.
Physiotherapist said it was because of my diabetes? Having an MRI on Wed and been reffered to Orthopedic Consultant. Wondering if he'll just send me away saying 'diabetic, nothing we can do'. ?
Anyone had same problem of F/S?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First my wife's consultant for FS said that true frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) cannot be helped at all by steroid injections. Many HCPs don't understand this and waste a lot of time and money with these. There are many other shoulder muscle issues which may be helped by steroids. I'm not aware that true FS is in any way linked to diabetes; no one yet knows the cause. My wife's consultant said the only thing on offer was pain relief and prescribed a low dose of amitriptyline which was an excellent pain suppressant. My wife's FSs lasted at least 2 years (sorry!) with the first one coming back after the 2nd one. So, get the GP to try amitriptyline; it's actually an anti-depressant in high dose but the pain relief dose is a fraction of that. My wife found that paracetamol/codeine (=zapain) had nowhere near the same effect.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I have had a frozen shoulder, first in my R and then L. It is agony.
The first one took about 3 years to heal and the second just under 2 years. I found the combination of physio and steroid injections gave me a lot of relief.
Some people swear by shoulder manipulation under anaesthetic.

It is more common for people with diabetes.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/166186.php

I feel your pain.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been suffering with frozen shoulders for years now and was once told by a Physiotherapist that it was very common amongst diabetics but she didn't really know the reason why. Unfortunately, it seems (and I've had it said by numerous doctors/dentists/opticians) that diabetes exacerbates most medical problems.

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone.xxx GP insisted on an MRI, he's been really good reffering me for physio etc so cant complain.

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a frozen shoulder in left side many years ago, never got full mobility back, blamed it on when I lifted a patient in work, pain was awful. Had liads physio, 2 cortisone injections.least it only has minimal pain if I sleep on that side. Now for past 8 months have had very painful right shoulder, after gardening last May-ish. Had physio, cortisone injections, accupuncture. Taking Zapain all the time, in a lot if pain at night/morning especially.
Physiotherapist said it was because of my diabetes? Having an MRI on Wed and been reffered to Orthopedic Consultant. Wondering if he'll just send me away saying 'diabetic, nothing we can do'. ?
Anyone had same problem of F/S?

My sympathies it is something I became familier with my advice is read up on the excercises and do as often as you can daily have a look at the you tube videos on the keyhole surgery how they free it and read up on the stages of frozen shoulder. There are plenty of pdf files on stretching excercises on the web work through them and concentrate on the ones you struggle with as the shoulder as a lot of different movements to stretch.

In my case I always continued with my pull ups even though they hurt extreemly looking in the mirror even hanging from the bar you could see my right side was distorted my own body weight would not free the contracted muscle which became wasted at one point.

In my case sleeping was difficult for 1st year or so and I always wake up and lay on my back and watch tv while the wife brings my breakfast up but I struggled putting my right arm behind my head but i always did this routine for the 3 years I have had it. What I am basically saying continue doing things you always did and eventually it has to give in to the desired movement after a lot of repetition over many months years I have numerous other examples but will not bore you.

Personally manipultaion is good done by other people but if it is scar tissue and the process is not carried out to the same degree it is scar tissue on top of scar tissue. The youtube video are good is showing just how the joint gets fixated and to free this takes time if you choose a non operative method basically you have to have the attitude of my shoulder is going where i tell it and sometimes it is painfull to break free and gain an extra mm in movement.

I am still weaker on the right side and struggle taking chimney pots down that shoulder from the roof but it wont be long before I have 99% moveement back after 3+ years.

Keep at it and do not give in to it also a russian stretching book I read recommends stretching last thing at night to key to muscle memory..

chocoholic

You fellow sufferers have my sympathy.I have been nursing a frozen shoulder since last September. I was already suffering from insomnia prior to that but I now have reached a point of not sleeping at all. I had a brain scan last week because I started having other neurological problems like dropping things, memory problems and then falls with no recollection of how I was ending up on the floor and a massive panic attack in the car.
It turns out the falls and panic attack were down to a sleeping tablet I'd been prescribed...Zimovane. Hate taking tablets but I was so desperate to sleep.
Anyway, neurologist diagnosed me with blocked nerves in the brain and put me on an anti-depressant but just one tablet made me so ill ,I ended up being sent to A & E. Started a different drug the neuro suggested yesterday but I do feel if I could just sleep half my problems would disappear.
I am a quite well controlled Type 1 diabetic but this frozen shoulder sometimes has me in tears. I've never known such pain in my life.
The thought of several years dealing with this is not something I relish but I'm seeing an osteopath and the neuro is asking my G.P. to refer me to a physio.
If anyone else with a frozen shoulder has any suggestions to make me sleep,Id be very grateful. I think I've tried every herbal remedy going,all the milk and Brazil nuts old wives remedies etc etc. and am coming to the conclusion a large mallet is my only remaining untried alternative.

iHs

I remember frozen shoulders good and proper and being in agony in bed and not being able to sleep for the pain. Was living on co proximal every 3.5hrs so gp prescribed co dydramol and that knocked me out for about 5hrs so could get some sleep along with a heatpad plugged in to electric (argos) . Ended up having 3 MUAs on left shoulder and a really lovely physio massaging my back with oil to loosen up all the muscles .... armpit and around there so that the pain going down top part of arm would get better. Its said though that frozen shoulders get better on their own accord ... it just takes a bit of grin and bear it while the shoulder is freezing and then a bit of time to wait for the thaw out

laharvey999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had frozen shoulder in both shoulders my doc prescribed amitryptilene which gave me great nights sleep. Did have tramadol for the pain but it made my glands swell. frozen shoulders took about 18 months to go have got all movement back in both shoulders still take the amitryptilene to help me sleep. Would recommend the amytryptylene.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I've had a frozen shoulder for 3 years, since a car accident, I'm in agony most nights, morphine based drugs don't help but co codermol do??. One GP type said down to my diabetes, so asked consultants(they laughed), so had a app with an or to consultant, who said my shoulder causes my neck pain, my neck pain causes my shoulder(lol). So next week I have an app at a private clinic to get it sorted. Good luck, would a memory pillow help, it some times help me, although not all the time. But I know and feel your pain.

Kelsie

Hello, I am a sports therapist and often see clients with frozen shoulder in our university clinic. Have you all tried heat therapy? Applying heat in the form of a hot water bottle (put a small towel around the bottle, try to avoid applying heat directly to the skin) around your shoulder for ten minutes helps to loosen the surrounding musculature and ligaments which in turn generally increase your range of movement and can reduce pain symptoms. It doesn't work for everyone but is recommended for average patients. After applying the hot water bottle for ten minutes, sit on the edge of a bed or sofa, lean forward and allow for your arm to 'hang', from here, make small circles with your arm both clockwise and anti clockwise. This again helps to loosen the muscles through non-weight bearing. Hope this helps some of you :)

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Developed frozen shoulder in left shoulder about 11 years ago had treatments then developed it in right shoulder they operated on my left and it really helped for a while but came back with a vengeance. It's eased up loads in both shoulders over the years but things like putting shirts and coats on are a nuisance as it can make it worse for a few day 's. I'm on paracetamol and codeine for other pains and I'm sure this does take the edge off, but it's much better than it was and I still do the gentle exercises I was taught . Was also told it's more common in diabetics, but they weren't sure why. :)

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm reading this with interest as I too am having these symptoms and although I do have AS (ankylosing spondylitis) which can affect shoulders, my problem in my left shoulder seemed to flare up after a pneumonia jab in December. A couple of trips to chiropractor only brought temporary relief however I have found Biofreeze Gel to be quite effective although messy to apply, it is available as a roll-on but gel is longer lasting. This plus paracetamol with coedine help me sleep a bit better - once I can find a comfortable position that is!

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Just looked up bio freeze and am wondering if I'd be able to use this as am on a lot of other meds reviews are good have tried other gels before but got told off by doctor as on max limit for pain relief orally, I'll ask pharmacist see if they know

C

catherinecherub

Something else to consider to relieve the pain is a wheat pillow warmed up in the microwave. It is more malleable than a hot water bottle and does ease the pain. I used to find that if I could get off to sleep with the wheat pillow draped around my shoulder that I stood a better chance of having some decent sleep.

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I had a frozen shoulder for months went to doctor and got sent for a scan .the doctor doing the scan said it was a frozen shoulder and when I went back to my own doc he gave me the injection in my shoulder with in a week what a difference the pain has gone and a can move my shoulder more still have not got full movement back but can live with that
And another thing I could not control my blood sugars and that is one of the side affects of the injection so watch out for that one

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as another poster says, ask the GP for Amitriptyline which really worked for my wife as a painkiller. Steroid injections won't do anything for adhesive encapsulitis (true frozen shoulder where the capsule clamps down on the shoulder joint). Injections can help for other types of shoulder problems which have similar symptoms.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Since having my frozen shoulder surgery
Left shoulder was debrided free off calcium build up
and entrapped tendon .
Last march 2013 - I have regained full use of it
Can whirl it right around and lift right over my head 'again'
No more painful sleepless nights either
Can do gymnastics now with it :playful:

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I hope it works as well for me. As it has for you Anna. Have just been told that I'm to have keyhole surgery and then manipulation, to free my shoulder. Hopefully I can have this done, during the school holidays, so I don't have to take time of work.