Leaving the forum!

Sukaren

I am leaving the forum as it is causing me great upset and distress and its making me ill, all the conflicting advice is scrambling my head so much so I have had to consult professional help and was told that these forums do more harm than good, If I remain here I will become a basket case!! I have come to the conclusion I am handling my diabetes ok myself.....I had an excellent report re: 3 mthly bloods so Im obviously managing well on my own without your input. I recall a lady (think her name was Annie?) I feel she had a valid point about this forum, if you have half a brain sell you do not need this type of forum....at the end of the day dealing with diabetes is simply down to COMMON SENSE!! I deeply regret ever joining this forum and I have learned my lesson...I will give them a wide birth in future.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That's sad,Sukaren,I wish you the best with your diabetes.The basic message on this forum is keep the carbs low but I can understand where you are coming from on some of the conflicting things at the moment.

Knowledge is the key to control

Ellen

You must do what you think is best. My medical professionals actually encourage research on the internet. I am new here and have found the advice very helpful.

ChocFish

Sukaren, this forum is all about providing support, shoulder to cry on, sharing experiences good and not so good, encouraging one another, discussing meds/treatments, etc, everyone is different what works for one might not work for the next person, if someone writes about the effects of diabetes, eg complications/depression etc there are always people around to pull you up again, at the same time this sharing of information does actually help others for they dont feel so isolated and thinking 'its only me that is feeling like this'- conflicting advice just proves that there are so many options and possibilities out there, and using common sense sorting the wheat from the chaff, work out what you think may help you, give it a go, it doesnt work? Ok try something else instead...

Sorry to see you go, you have made some valuable contributions in here, but at the end of the day you have to do what is best for you of course and if you feel that this forum is not for you or has a negative effect on your wellbeing you must leave of course, congratul;ations on achieving such good control of your diabetes, that's good news indeed.

All the best

Karen

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

junieliz

Hi SuKaren, sorry you are leaving the forum as you have been a good contributor in the past. I agree sometimes somethings do seem a bit silly, but on the other hand some very good questions and answers are found on here. Also for someone struggling on their own it will be very much welcomed by them. I personaly have had some good advice. Good luck with your diabetes, take care junieliz

Poppy

Gosh, how could this forum have made you feel like this. I have had hugely conflicting advice from all the different medical people that I have seen, so it's not just the people here who have different ideas.

The advice on some of the forums has worked for me and is proved to myself on a thrice daily basis when I check my bloods

sparkle73

Sorry to see you go Sukaren, I understand how this forum can sometimes start to get you down and cause a lot of confliction. I think if that is how it's making you feel then you are definately making the right choice here, although not all forums are the same, some have tighter control with keen banning of members for dis-respecting behavoirs and blatant aggresivness. forums, especially support forums are meant to be just that 'support' and sometimes things can get out of hand and/or become confusing and leave you in a worse state than you was before you started, if the controls arent put into place.. You have to be strong to be on a forum like this,and to not let people get to you. The product forum comes into mind here, where if somebody tries to offer real help by reccommending a product, they get attacked for being a sales man ect ect. If you arent strong in personnality, then it can leave you in fear of saying anything because you know you will be attacked. My advise to you is to look at different forums and before you join, take a good look at the posts and how they are dealt with, or reacted to, before you join. We all need support at some time in our life, and you dont have to go it alone, just be more selective to who you share your thoughts with.

Thank you also to contributing to my posts on here and i wish you all the best in the future. I hope you are feeling better within yourself very soon :)

Claire

The Truth is out there

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
You're right to leave, Sukaren. A forum is a place for a variety of ideas and it's for anyone to take what that can or what suits them and make contributions if they like.

I'm sorry you seem so angry, that's a shame. Sometimes some of things on here make me cross, but by and large it's well meant and I try to sort the wheat from the chaff. That's not always easy because we're all so different.

I wish you all the best and Good luck,

Russ

sugar

Bye then.

There is different advice everywhere...abit most subjects. As grown ups, it is up to us to sift through the advice and take what works, and leave what doesn't. If this is too much responsibilty, then it is probably best you go.

I find myself agreeing with Sukaren.
Ok it is possible to read through some of the rubbish people post to find something marginally useful.
I also feel that this forum is very cliquey. There are a select few who have opinions and are quick to voice them - to the extent sometimes that they are often quite rude. It's their way or the highway.
If your "face" doesn't fit, even if you do have something valid to say, you're ignored.
It's a shame because this forum could be so useful.

sofaraway

i think there will always be conflicting advice, thats because not one treatment/med/diet etc fits all. Different people find different things work for them.

I think that if you are ill and and experiencing mental distress, i would encourage you to work witht he professionals you are seeing and try to work out what else is going on. I think putting the blame on this forum is easy to do but I think you need to look further.

I wish you luck

Sukaren

I completely agree with you about this forum, and think it is one of the worst I have come across.

There are several other, far more helpful places to go for advice without all the selling, cliquey-ness, crazy people (who the moderators WILL NOT THROW OFF) and the rest of it.

Buy some good books on the subject and good luck!

(I only keep coming back on the off-chance I'm able to help someone who's being given crazy advice about "The Cure" using flaxseed oil or something! - it's a bit like car crash tv)

this forum used to be good go back say 6months - 1year very supportive. now it is true that several members are very opinionated and yes rude if others disagree with their opinion. i don't think they would talk to people face to face the way they choose to write to them i don't value the forum as much as id did because of that but useful threads still pop up

ash

The biggest problem with this forum is that the Mods aren't given the tools to do their job properly. Sorry Admin, but the problems which were here when I joined up are still here.

Spammers are given free rein, and aggressive posters are left unchecked. I think the forum could be a very good resource, but I rarely come on here now due to the apathy shown :(

HBa1C 6.3 T2

Yep it's a great forum as long as everyone agrees with the majority of resoundingly **** advice given. But God forbid if anyone dares to have a different view or offers constructive advice.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Unfortunately the mods have no powers to ban anyone.We are also fighting a daily battle with spam,I have just deleted about 20 spams by the same person,I wish they'd get a %&$**@@@life!There have ,of late ,been several very opinionated members who have shouted down other members,I agree. The policy,however of letting everyone have their say can be a drawback.Also,however, we have some very good posters who give excellent advice and are very knowledgeable about diabetes in general.
Carefix has his following on this site,he has been a poster on here since the old forum.If you don't agree with his posts then don't read them!
I would ask the more vociferous posters(you know who you are) to tone it down a bit and allow that there are other people in this World who have an opinion different to them which may be equally as valid!

Knowledge is the key to control

ChocFish

We all can avoid the spammers, just dont open their dodgy, irritating emails, moderators are not here full time, they are doing the best they can.

When I first read Sukarens post I felt very very sorry for her, I thought how awful and how alone she must be feeling, a few days earlier she had a really bad time, many of us responded to her post, gave her hugs and encouragement, etc and she thanked us all, so for Sukaren to suddenly announce that she is not coming back in here something must have happened? I mean go, read down that thread... see what I mean? I am assuming here, not sure of course, but my instant reaction was 'this is another cry for help, we have upset her, and if that is the case then I am SORRY Sukaren,people should be coming in here and leave feeling a bit better.

This has turned into a really nast thread and the whole thing should be deleted, people should speak up, a its refreshing to have different opinions, but remember there are some very sensitive members in here too, struggling from time to time and it is those members that feel that they are personally attacked when some of the more forceful members in here say something in response.

People might not remember what you said or what you did, but they certainly remember how you made them feel.

And I really do think that it is the members of this forum that make it what it is, and at the moment this particular thread is causing upset, it shouldnt be like this, should it?

Love to all

Karen

Lets pray for the spammers that they too will one day be able to lead happy, meaningful lives :)))

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

martinbuchan

Sorry to see you leave. I am suprised to read of conflicting advice being the reason. There are lots of things to chew over on the site and I have learned a lot about diabetes and what to expect.

Maybe the reason has been some of the hostility shown by some vey aggressive posters recently. They have resorted to emotionally charged attacks which does not sit well with most people.

Good luck Sukaren.

Marty B

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
As one of the maligned moderators I would just like to support what Sue said earlier. The mods do have limited powers and are not able to take action against posters who are aggressive or offensive towards others. If anyone thinks they can do a better job then I will be very happy to step down (but I don't expect to get trampled in the rush!).

I'm sorry that Sukaren feels strongly enough about this to leave us, but I have to say that the recent attacks on the honesty and integrity of one of our posters (Sparkle) absolutely sickened me - to the extent that I was on the verge of leaving the forum as well.

One final point - why is it that everyone who has criticised the forum or its administration or the mods in the last batch posts has done so anonymously. They don't even have the guts to say who they are.