Is my work discriminating me ? (Advice Needed)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Is my work discriminating me ? (Advice Needed)

Hi Again Paul,

Just a few daft points that might cheer up a little.

1: If this manager did not like you she would bend over backwards to transfer you to even timbucktoo if necessary.

2: You might think these 3 weeks are 3 weeks of sheer hell and wish you were back in that so called heaven.

3: Do what I did many years ago, moved from my lovely home town Greenock to England, I have been treated with respect and got a good job etc; only problem is I miss Scotland.(I also tried to educate the English, but failed) woops I am in trouble now.

You will win.

Roy. :)

paul1183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Is my work discriminating me ? (Advice Needed)

izzzi said:
Hi Again Paul,

Just a few daft points that might cheer up a little.

1: If this manager did not like you she would bend over backwards to transfer you to even timbucktoo if necessary.

2: You might think these 3 weeks are 3 weeks of sheer hell and wish you were back in that so called heaven.

3: Do what I did many years ago, moved from my lovely home town Greenock to England, I have been treated with respect and got a good job etc; only problem is I miss Scotland.(I also tried to educate the English, but failed) woops I am in trouble now.

You will win.

Roy. :)

Hi again Mate,

I'm not so sure about that mate that was the first time i had ever met this H.R manager they really dont want to make it easy for me to transfer there must be some sort of reason for it there no telling me because what thy are and have been telling me is excuses and there a load of rubbish but i have dealt with different H.R Managers tried to get a transfer with every one and just no help at all.

I wouldn't mind doing the 3 weeks i know i would like it as i have family members and people i know who work in this new store also i can walk to it in 10 mins and I'm a good hard worker so i will get on great i know i will its just the temp thing that is the problem for me.

Would love to move south few of my family members have did it and they have never looked back just persuading the Mrs is where i could not get past with that one anyway think i would end up missing the place like yourself. Haha yeah better watch what you say :lol:

Hopefully i will win in the end I'm never going to give up put it that way i will fight them all the way with this.

Regards Paul.

Durthic

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It sounds almost exactly like the treatment I got from my work (I work for Morrisons myself regrettably!)

Although I don't have diabetes, I was diagnosed with delayed onset complex post traumatic stress disorder (from my time in the military). I ended up being off work for over 3 months because of it.

My story is similar in the context that my work was pulling almost identical stunts as your store bosses are pulling. Occy health and my GP were asking for reasonable adjustments to be made (in my case it was not being left on my own as having someone to talk to keeps me on an even keel), but they were saying it was impossible to be able to comply with that (even though with working in a butchery, there should be two people in the department at all times for health and safety purposes).

My advice to you would be to stick to your guns and follow what occy health and the GP say. They are qualified to make the call to move you to a store closer to home. If the HR manager you have now said you couldn't move store on health grounds and you had a bad attack related to your diabetes, you would have all sorts of legal grounds to run roughshod over the company, especially as it would come to light that occy health and your GP both said it was best to move you closer to home for health reasons.

Basically they are doing the standard "It's a problem that could happen, but it hasn't happened yet" sort of things. Yes, OK, there is more to it in the grounds of resource management and budgetary concerns for the individual stores themselves, but to my mind if they had doctors saying to move you, then I'd be moving you.

Another agency to contact would be ACAS.(acas.org.uk) and give them a ring. They make any company (including the big supermarkets) quake in their boots when they find out that you have spoken to them. Just dropping their name pretty much made my bosses capitulate instantly.

From all I've read from what you've said, your focus is in the right place. Just keep focused on getting what is best for YOU. They have enough resources to move people around, but ultimately, it's your health, your family that it'll have an impact on. That is what comes first.

Hope it helps, and if you have it sorted out by now, then go you!

paul1183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds almost exactly like the treatment I got from my work (I work for Morrisons myself regrettably!)

Although I don't have diabetes, I was diagnosed with delayed onset complex post traumatic stress disorder (from my time in the military). I ended up being off work for over 3 months because of it.

My story is similar in the context that my work was pulling almost identical stunts as your store bosses are pulling. Occy health and my GP were asking for reasonable adjustments to be made (in my case it was not being left on my own as having someone to talk to keeps me on an even keel), but they were saying it was impossible to be able to comply with that (even though with working in a butchery, there should be two people in the department at all times for health and safety purposes).

My advice to you would be to stick to your guns and follow what occy health and the GP say. They are qualified to make the call to move you to a store closer to home. If the HR manager you have now said you couldn't move store on health grounds and you had a bad attack related to your diabetes, you would have all sorts of legal grounds to run roughshod over the company, especially as it would come to light that occy health and your GP both said it was best to move you closer to home for health reasons.

Basically they are doing the standard "It's a problem that could happen, but it hasn't happened yet" sort of things. Yes, OK, there is more to it in the grounds of resource management and budgetary concerns for the individual stores themselves, but to my mind if they had doctors saying to move you, then I'd be moving you.

Another agency to contact would be ACAS.(acas.org.uk) and give them a ring. They make any company (including the big supermarkets) quake in their boots when they find out that you have spoken to them. Just dropping their name pretty much made my bosses capitulate instantly.

From all I've read from what you've said, your focus is in the right place. Just keep focused on getting what is best for YOU. They have enough resources to move people around, but ultimately, it's your health, your family that it'll have an impact on. That is what comes first.

Hope it helps, and if you have it sorted out by now, then go you!

Hi Durthic,

sorry for the late reply not been able to get access to the forum for a while there. Anyway sorry to hear you had some trouble with your work also but that's good you stood your ground and got what you wanted in the end with reasonable adjustments.

Wish i did have my situation sorted out but i don't yet its been a long process so far lots of stress it has caused anyway i'm back at work this Sunday coming on a temp move phased return doing shorter hours then my hours will gradually increase then at the end of the temp move my work are planning moving me back to the store i need to travel 3 hours to get to but i'm not going to just sit back and take it i plan to fight it all the way when it comes to that though so just need to see what happens but if i need to use the grievance procedure and also take them ET then its something i will be doing as i don't feel getting a temp move is a reasonable adjustment and my GP doesn't seem to think that either so see what happens in the next few weeks hopefully make some good progress over the next few weeks once i'm at this new store and they will keep me there on a permanent basis but i'm prepared to fight on if need be.

I have my union involved so i don't think acas would get involved as my union are dealing with it but thanks for your advice on that i have used there site already too for some info.

They could move me no problem they have plenty resources there just not willing to do it on a permanent basis just now for some reason I think if they can move me to a closer store for 4-8 weeks then there is a job there. Things like this shouldn't be a fight with a company especially when GP and occ health have advised them to move me. Its Terrible so it is that company's do this to its workers but see what happens in the next few weeks i will keep the post updated when i know more. Thanks for your reply ;)

Regards Paul.

fractureman

Glad your getting back to work mate. It's a usual individual store prob, but you can chip away & we spoke off forum.
I'm sure a visit from the regional manager to the new store (my store had a surprise visit last sat from the rom) & speak to them direct about the issue you've had.
When they hear the story they will sort your move a lot quicker ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul1183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad your getting back to work mate. It's a usual individual store prob, but you can chip away & we spoke off forum.
I'm sure a visit from the regional manager to the new store (my store had a surprise visit last sat from the rom) & speak to them direct about the issue you've had.
When they hear the story they will sort your move a lot quicker ;)

Hi Greg

I'm glad to be getting back too mate looking forward to it. Prob is just the individual store but I will just keep chipping away at them and hopefully get what I'm looking for in the end. You have been good help off forum mate thanks again.

As far as I'm aware mate regional H.R know about my situation well they know that I'm going on a temp move anyway as deputy manager told me he had spoke to regional H.R manager about it so I'm not sure what the regional H.R manager has been told. Would you suggest I go speak to the regional H.R direct and explain my situation from my side ??

Regards Paul.