Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a C-Peptide test - the results are:

C-Peptide: 18.52
C-Peptide/Creatin Ratio: 2.98

So that tells me that I AM making insulin. (T2).

BUT - I have very high Trigs (17.5!!!), so they're putting me on Insulin to get my Trigs down (starting on Lemevir, and then including Novorapid post meals).

Any opinions on this??? I'm SUPER concerned about weight gain due to the insulin... :( We know that weight gain reduces insulin sensitivity - could this be the start of the weight gain/reduced insulin sensitivity/increased insulin dose spiral?!?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi patch!

Sorry to hear your news.

I know how bad I felt when I realised I'd be on insulin for the rest of my life (LADA) - as mad as it sounds, it made diabetes seem real and serious to me. I know it's a different situation as I don't have cholestorol problems or insulin resistance, but my experience of insulin has been that I put back on the weight I had lost before my LADA was diagnosed, but I haven't put any more on since - in fact my weight is very stable. I do keep my carbs low so that I can use as little insulin as possible.

I've never heard insulin used to bring down trigs - I'm quite surprised by that. I do know my cholestorol (trigs in particular) responds really well to regular exercise and really badly to regular wine LOL.

Anyway, hope the insulin goes well for you - it's not as bad as you think!

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Long time no see Patch!

Sorry to here of your problems, I didn't think it was possible to have trigs so high but like Smidge don't know the reason why they've suggested insulin, whatever happens I wish you the best of luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Like Smidge I have only had a very slight increase in weight since insulin as I also keep the carbs down; that's the secret. I also don't understand the trigs/insulin comment; I'm sceptical but the insulin is no doubt needed at least for a while. If you are overweight then getting that down will help reduce insulin resistance and probably your insulin needs after a while

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Patch .
Where have you been ?

To just reassure you - I have held a steady weight of 9st 2lb since being
on insulin .
No weight gain - but then I "DO" work hard with my food groups .
Sticking with only what WONT spike me .
Avoid all that will spike 'completely' ...
Plus snack size portion control helps immensley too .

The hardest thing for you will be working out what will and wont spike you .
Alongside the need for your insulin .
This takes 'time' too establish the will spike and wont spike 'list' of foods !
Time needs patience - Believe me it was hard some days/weeks .
Once you see it all start to work and gain more confidence it DOES get easier .

Hope this can reassure you more :)
It is hard when first starting out using insulin dependency therapy and routine .

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Patch good to hear from you! I'm sure it will all work out. If you google "insulin reduce triglycerides" there looks to be quite a few links to articles that explain it.

Take care mate

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm SUPER concerned about weight gain due to the insulin... :(

Hi Patch and welcome back to the forum, really sorry to hear that things arent too good at the moment and hope you get things sorted out after you start insulin treatment.

Your trigs do sound very high to me but as for how they got that way or why insulin helps to reduce them I have no idea really but the good news on the weight gain front is that insulin doesnt have to lead to weight gain....

I'm sure you remember my story and how I lost over 4 stones whilst on insulin, I kept my carbs to between 60g and around 80g a day as I remember and binned all alcohol for about the first 4 or 5 months too and I only ate what I needed to ie I thought of food as fuel rather than an enjoyable feast, so I tented to eat only small portions of everything and I was very strict with my diet when I was on insulin and found it gave me excellent control and the weight loss I needed to reduce my insulin resistance which now allows me to eat a fairly normal diet in most respects. OK I still eat no white bread, pasta and only small amounts of basmatti rice and potatoes mainly either new, roast or a few chips but I eat pretty much everything else if I want to.

Try to be positive about the insulin, watch what you eat and stay away from every new fad diet that pops up on the forum, I remember you always liked a new fad diet mate ;) But most of all get yourself well...

C

catherinecherub

Hi Patch,

Sorry to hear your news.
What advice have you been given, including the insulin, about how to lower your trigs ? Anything diet wise?

It would be a good idea to abstain from alcohol whilst your trigs are high as this will affect your readings and you need to up your exercise.

I don't know what else to say except to wish you well and hope things turn around for you.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi! Nice to see so many old friends.

I find that low carbs = low trigs, at least for me. I know from personal experience that alcohol raises them. :oops:

Viv :cool:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carb DEFINITELY doesn't mean low trigs for me... :(

I'm still low carbing, but my BG is wild. Fasting this morning was 13.8!!!

I don't drink (much) any more. They really can't tell me why my Trigs are so high...

Excercising plenty - Basketball twice a week (!)

I've tried to avoid insulin for a LONG time - but it's time to bite the bullet...

One thing the diabetic nurse DID say that frightened me, was that there is NO MAXIMIUM DOSAGE for insulin?!? She said "you need as much as you need".

Whut???

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In many ways your DN is right in saying there is no maximum dose for insulin, but if you become overweight and insulin resistant then your insulin needs go up in a vicious circle together with poor control. So, where you can it's best to remain insulin sensitive by maintaining a good BMI. I think you will find with the Basal/Bolus regime you are on that you will have very good sugar control and find it all becomes very routine and empowering. I wouldn't go back to tablets now because of the better control it gives me.