Review

spanglegem

I've been for my first review with my GP today and have been pleased to see my Hba1c has come down from 100 in Sept. to 54 just before Christmas. The advice given is to stop testing my BG and to rely instead on the Hba1c . I find this a bit worrying, as I feel that the degree of control I have managed thus far, is because I test. (not obsessively, and only to check how different foods affect me, or if I feel weird)
While I'm really happy with my progress, I feel that I'm not quite there yet and should aim for a bit closer to normal. I'm 63 yrs old and not entirely sure what that is at my age. I'd appreciate hearing others' views on this.
Thanks, Spanglegem.

rizzo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a GP at my surgery who I'd never previously seen before and he complimented me on my bg control. Then I asked for a prescription for more test strips. He agreed but commented that NHS advice was that T2 patients don't need to test as it didn't make any difference!

I told him that testing was how I'd managed to get good control of my diabetes. In the end he agreed that I could have strips 3 or 4 times a year.

I decided to buy a meter with cheap strips. I use a Codefree meter and strips are only about £14-15 for 100. It isn't ideal, but it avoids having arguments with your GP about the issue.

spanglegem

I saw a GP at my surgery who I'd never previously seen before and he complimented me on my bg control. Then I asked for a prescription for more test strips. He agreed but commented that NHS advice was that T2 patients don't need to test as it didn't make any difference!

I told him that testing was how I'd managed to get good control of my diabetes. In the end he agreed that I could have strips 3 or 4 times a year.

I decided to buy a meter with cheap strips. I use a Codefree meter and strips are only about £14-15 for 100. It isn't ideal, but it avoids having arguments with your GP about the issue.

Thanks for that Rizzo, that's what I'm thinking regarding testing. Guess I'll have to use the money I save by not buying chocolate to buy test strips etc!
Spanglegem.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
well done in getting ur a1 down you should be very proud of youself x

rizzo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't understand why the NHS don't ask people who are successfully keeping their bg under control how they do it instead of penny pinching on the test strips. It's a real shame.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
congratulations!!!!!!!! wonderful progress, isnt that advice nuts!!! ok lets see, you tested to get better, i know lets not test anymore lol ridiculous!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I've been for my first review with my GP today and have been pleased to see my Hba1c has come down from 100 in Sept. to 54 just before Christmas. The advice given is to stop testing my BG and to rely instead on the Hba1c . I find this a bit worrying, as I feel that the degree of control I have managed thus far, is because I test. (not obsessively, and only to check how different foods affect me, or if I feel weird)
While I'm really happy with my progress, I feel that I'm not quite there yet and should aim for a bit closer to normal. I'm 63 yrs old and not entirely sure what that is at my age. I'd appreciate hearing others' views on this.
Thanks, Spanglegem.
Spanglegem,
Once you get on to a structured education program like Xpert, you will learn that a structured use of BG testing coupled with controlling your diet is a positive force for BG reduction.
As for your GP's avice to rely on the HbA1c, I can only say : would you drive your car by a clock & milometer rather than the speedo?
The HbA1c will give feedback but only months after the event. If I start to suffer raised BG, I want to respond quickly not compound the problem for a few months!

Reactions: 3 people

spanglegem

Spanglegem,
Once you get on to a structured education program like Xpert, you will learn that a structured use of BG testing coupled with controlling your diet is a positive force for BG reduction.
As for your GP's avice to rely on the HbA1c, I can only say : would you drive your car by a clock & milometer rather than the speedo?
The HbA1c will give feedback but only months after the event. If I start to suffer raised BG, I want to respond quickly not compound the problem for a few months!
Hi Fergus, I'm starting the Xpert course next week so I'm hoping to get some positive endorsement for the way I've been managing so far, however, I'm always open to new ideas. Your car driving analogy is exactly right, while I'm testing my BG, I'm in the driving seat!